Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Nice plants! Love those trichome shots. You know your optics lingo and setup, I’ll say! I used to do the same thing through the eyepiece of my microscope. Hands twitching as I used optical zoom to eliminate vignetting. Oh my! Do you take several photos to get one really good one?

3 Likes

I went to school for photography in the transitional era between film and digital, so I’m no expert on optics, but I had to learn a bit about them with the constant changes of film/sensor size and the effects on focal length and depth of field. It’s been useful occasionally! I do usually take about a half dozen shots and pick the best one for focus lock and sharpness. I have a good little digital camera I keep meaning to get a macro kit for and mount on my Manfrotto tripod with the sidearm, that would probably do a good job right there. I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one out here holding lenses backwards all shaky trying to get a good macro shot.

6 Likes

lol I was an AV nerd in high school developing film and all that nonsense. I went next level and got a digital microscope camera, the detail is intense. You can measure the size of trichomes. What an age we live in!

3 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard what kind of camera do you use?

2 Likes

@LegsMahoney Both my digital cameras are relatively ancient, one I haven’t powered up in years, an old Canon D60 6mp APS-C DSLR. I only have a 28-105 for it, though it’s sharp, so I’d have to get macro collars if I wanted to use it. I was going to figure out adapter lenses for my much newer Olympus XZ-1, which is such a good damn little camera I should really pick up a second one, since they only go for about $100 nowadays. It’s got a fast lens, a pretty large 10mp sensor, and a programmable ring control around the lens just like the old shutter speed ring on Olympus film SLRs, which I used to use and love.
Most older lenses have an aperture ring on the back of the lens, but the OM Zuiko system moved it to the front of the lens body and added a shutter speed control ring on the camera body lensmount. It made for an exceptionally fast manual camera because you could use the OM system’s advanced (for the time, but still excellent) weighted averaging meter and just keep your hands on the shutter trigger and use the other fingers on that hand to grip the shutter ring, while focusing and setting f-stop with the other. Much less moving your hands around, which endeared the system (along with its small size and durability) to photojournalists and street shooters, or me, photographing concerts.

4 Likes

Day 69 (nice) update on the remaining two White Tigers:

The veg tent got another pruning as I realize how I’m going to have to push hard for main stem tops only with five plants in the 4x4, they’re looking good! I’ve never had quite so much veg time to keep shaping and it’s been instructive. Topped the two tallest plants, one BW/Apollo and the CU to get everything evened out, along with some supercropping. Heavy AgSil in veg really makes these stems sort of like stiff plant wire, they bend but don’t break. The two on the right are OG mix, center and back left are BW/Apollo, and the front left is Cherry Unicorn:

And my seedling tray of seven Copa Black Lime Reserve x GSD F6 testers and two Tonygreen Gorilla Bubble BX5 S1 fems is popping up healthy, making me happy:

20 Likes

Very cool, informative thread bro. Not sure how it took me this long to find it but I did. I’m looking forward to trying out some Copa genetics myself . Perhaps if I found this thread I may have earlier…. Keep up the great work. I’m here, better late than never I suppose lol

4 Likes

Them babies are shooting up fast. I think I killed 2 and one never cracked so I’ll have 7 plants. I’m still scratching head on what I’m gonna do if I get a beastly male in the mix.

4 Likes

Keep him of course!

5 Likes

Has it really been more than a month since I updated this? Life goes fast I guess, but things here keep growing, let’s check in on the flower tent:

@SCJedi Blackwater x Apollo 11/13 open pollination (edit: I have been informed that the taller one is likely a Nigerian Sunshine x Goji OG, which is…pretty cool, honestly. I messed up popping some Bodega Bubblegum x NS originally for this grow and then pivoted to a different strain, but I guess I was meant to be growing Nigerian this time around)

Bodhi Cherry Unicorn:

Fleur Du Mal OG mix (x2):

And over in the veg tent there’s 6x Black Lime Reserve x GSD F5 that I’m testing for @CopaGenetics (all to the left, two rows of three), 2x @Tonygreen Gorilla Bubble BX5 fems (two on the right) and one cut of the same Cherry Unicorn that’s in flower (the big girl on the right):

17 Likes

I knew I was missed seeing your updates. Looking great :+1:

4 Likes

crazy color on that Blackwater x Apollo, looking super lush! nice work!

5 Likes

@BeagleZ Was just talking to the breeder over in his thread, looks like a seed slipped through sorting and this taller one is actually a Nigerian Sunshine x Goji, he can tell from the very dominant NS coloration. Pretty cool, I’d plant that cross in a second and now I’ve got four strains going. Whoo variety! No strain burnout here

5 Likes

Thanks @Emeraldgreen hoping to have better updates

4 Likes

:astonished: NICE!

3 Likes

shits looking good @Dirt_Wizard

3 Likes

Looking good brother …

1 Like

We are cruising through flower over here, they are mostly just doing their thing undisturbed and untrained, just some defoliation and a little bending.

OG Mixes:

Cherry Unicorn:

Nigerian Sunshine x Goji:

Blackwater x Apollo:

14 Likes

Looks awesome

3 Likes

Nice job working the various strains!

3 Likes