DIY freeze dryer for harvest

Would it be possible to hook a vacuum pump to a freezer to make it work like a freeze dryer? Or is it just a bad stoned idea?

10 Likes

try it and see, it could work, if you dont try though youll never know

1 Like

There is more to a freeze dryer than just a vacuum. That being said, you can freeze dry hash in a self defrosting freezer, it just takes about a week instead of <24 hours. :+1::seedling:

8 Likes

I know nothing about freeze drying, why is this part important? A built in dehumidifier or something?

3 Likes

It creates a slightly lower pressure to increase sublimation.

2 Likes

The whole defrost process is about removing accumulated ice and draining away the moisture which impedes temp control. The moisture must be removed before the air temperature drops. The evaporator on a freezer is at or below zero F typically You want that ice cream firm at least. Regularly defrosting removes moisture from anything exposed to air circulation in the freezer.

I have no xp with freeze dryers though

3 Likes

You can approximate a freeze dry using a vacuum and dry ice in a container…seems like a lot of work though for minimal return.

The home freeze dryers you can buy are very expensive…maybe if you were running a commercial operation you could justify the expense.

4 Likes

Ok. So it’s mostly a bad stoned idea. I’ll just harvest, dry and cure the old fashioned way. Though I’ll probably do a dry ice sift on my trim.

2 Likes

If you have bubble bags you can crank out some freeze dried hash. Then… make it into live rosin. It’s plant material free at that point.

2 Likes

I do have bubble bags. Granted I did a shit job making bubble hash the first time, yielded next to nothing, but I’m sure it takes practice(or one of those mini washing machines) admittedly I went about it pretty half assed.

1 Like

Freeze dryers operate at the triple point of water. Freeze dryers are expensive, because you’re not just freezing and hooking up a vacuum, but rather keeping a tight control over temperature and pressure to hold the material at a specific phase of water. It is not an easy DIY project.

4 Likes

Yield is determined by the dna of the plant. Only use fresh frozen buds.

Thermodynamics, Baby! - Mike Meyers

2 Likes

Oh they were super frosty, I guarantee it was error/laziness on my part.

1 Like

yah I hear what you’re saying… but here’s the thing. The yield per gram of wet buds can only be determined experimentally, so no matter your method of manufacturing the hash, it’s up to the individual plant in question. That being said… of course you could do something nuts to lower the yield.

I was really high, mixing in a 5 gallon bucket with a shitty dollar store spatula so yeah :sweat_smile: pretty much wasted a lb of fresh frozen blueberry (seeded to shit from a herm in the room)

1 Like

what were your input and output numbers?

Didn’t weigh anything but it was about a lb wet that went in, got like 3 grams probably :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And by fresh frozen I just mean chopped up put in a freezer bag and then in my regular ass kitchen freezer.

1 Like

yah for sure that yield seems a little low, but some of them are like that. Last week I did a 618gram crank for 17.7 grams output in the 90 micron sack. Some of them produce half of that. 618 grams would output 7 or 8grams.

1 Like