DIY Home repairs

I paid $10 US for the Pex tubing cutter from Home Depot. Works like a champ.

Apollo 1/2 in. to 1 in. Pipe Cutter 69PTKC001 - The Home Depot

For the hand crimper, I went with the 3 handled one. This allows you to hold the crimp and fitting in place with one hand and start the crimp with the other. Then you let go of the fitting and finish the crimp. The one I have is similar to this one and I paid around $65 US:

14100280 - PEX-Clamp 3 Handle Pincer Ratchet Tool (Prior Part # 9253SCP) (sargenttools.com)

These are the Pex ball valves I buy from amazon:

Amazon.com : pex ball valve

2 Likes

That’s a beauty @mota.
I see yours has a hammer handle instead of the axe handle.
Is this a replacement handle by chance?

1 Like

Technically, yes, it is a replacement. I broke the original and hung that one, but the original was straight just like it. I worked with lots of framers who used framing axes. I’d juggle them at lunch just for a laugh if there was a new guy or I was working with a new crew. I haven’t thought that in a while! Fun memories. Thanks for asking. :+1:

2 Likes

Found the wellhead

And the reason why I had to dig it up

9 Likes

Well, I’d say that qualifies as real work, @Emeraldgreen.

Is that broken piece cast iron?

1 Like

I wanted to share these free plans from a British woodworker and instructor named Paul Sellers who I started reading recently, I won’t post the PDFs since he makes them available for free on his site with just a name and email. I think that this summer and fall I need to make myself a pair each of trestles and saw horses of his design, and maybe try the workbench too, whether plywood or the timbered one.

11 Likes

I was just thinking the other day… My crappy old workbench is way too big, and almost completely useless.
But THIS is exactly the type I need! Thank you for posting this most excellent info!

3 Likes

I built this with plans from the Kreg website a few years ago. My wife used it once and that was the last time I got to use it.

5 Likes

Glad to help! The other plan I’ve been looking at is from a former Popular Mechanics guy turned book publisher, he has a design he calls the Anarchist’s Workbench (cute name that appeals to me hahaha) but it might be a second bench project, it seems a lot more “ultimate woodworking bench” versus PS design being more minimal. This guy has a good blog about building the AW design with the plans from Lost Art Press:

Free PDF from the publisher:

I also saw this book recommended for a theory and history overview of workbenches and I am going to have to buy it or borrow from the library, totally my kind of book!

I also found this interesting smaller variation, this is a chair maker’s workbench with iron dogs, I like how this would be easier to work on smaller projects at and fit onto an industrial dolly. PDF plans are pay what you want from $0 on up at his website:

4 Likes

i cant recommend highly enough Ron Paulk stuff whether its trailer set up or work benches saw horses miter stations smart wood shop i am a fan boy of ply wood most of this stuff is ply wood

3 Likes

Pretty cool, @thainer ! That guy is on the cutting edge, I’m going to have to take a good look at his plans and products, also a big fan of high quality plywood, it’s pretty amazing stuff nowadays and strong :muscle:

My current worktable is a folding one I made out of a free massage table that I stripped the vinyl and foam off of and then surfaced with 1/4" pressed fiberboard from a paper shipping pallet. The legs unfold and brace with a clever cable system 3and it’s super sturdy when open and spread well, I’m going to add loops to the feet so that I can stake it down with 12" steel stakes for extra stability and maybe add a plastic sawhorse as a center brace slash shelf for tools under the middle hinge. I have the holes punched into it to drop and bolt my bigass Dewalt miter saw on top:

x

6 Likes

if one is going to use these thing they must light simple and cheap and i do mean cheap as if its a good thing someone will like it more than you

Was someone looking for a piece of plywood for a solid bench top? How about this piece of 3" thick fall off from the job my son is currently working on. I believe he’s planning on using some of it as a, wait for it, workbench top.

7 Likes

Nice conversion! Really smart! d8JBdDJ

2 Likes

H-E-A-V-Y going to need a worm drive with a new blade

3 Likes

Is that ever the truth! I’m guessing that piece weighs between 500 and 700 pounds. Used a crane to load it. The kid unloaded it himself.

It was used as ceiling underlayment. If I recall correctly, uncut the original piece was 15’ x 30’. It was the smallest of several pieces.

4 Likes

worked on a home last year this time, poor woman in her 30’s rented out her house her husband passed away her and the kids didnt want to live there any more. along came the vid and the renters stopped paying rent 2.5 years later she got them out. puppy mill or something down stairs stench of pee gag a maggot, upstairs on the carpet we had a grow room(s), main floor was party central hard wood floors all thru out in on bedroom they converted into a spa drilled holes for a toilet, vanity sing, and a hot tub and a few extra practice holes or something.

the patch is in front of my feet lost my shirt on that one they turned out ok thou ![image|666x500] (upload://oyI0B4C3aeH6BQ4pXzWxMYDCSct.jpeg) they stole the basement windows rotted a huge hole in the exterior grow room vent i stole the hard wood from the floor in a built in had draws on the bottom

8 Likes

That’s a good looking patch. :+1:

3 Likes

i’m getting ready to take up an old hardwood floor. i think it’s white oak, oak for sure, two floors of it. the entire house is getting scrapped out by me, they were gonna just bulldoze it and throw it away. the roof is only two years old and there is a lot of good things in it. i just got the baseboard down and next comes the floor. gonna put it through a planer and reuse it on the house when we get it.

6 Likes

Here is a spray for puppy/cat smells
4 quarts hydrogen peroxide
Tablespoon baking soda
.5-1 teaspoons detergent

Put in pump sprayer and spray. Works 100 times better than natures miracle for a fraction of the cost

3 Likes