DIY Home repairs

T&G? Face nailed (even if I’m not seeing face nails)? How wide are the boards?

Hell yes reuse it!

3 Likes

my gramps chased them, my dad chased them, i chased them, now my son is chasing them. mega projects around the world this a hydro electric damn in Manitoba i took the pic my boy is somewhere down in that mess of turbine form work 2500 man camp 7 billion dollar project well it started at 7 chaos is cash

11 Likes

t&g and not face nailed. most of it is long too.

beautiful stuff. the base, door frames, and window frames are cool as hell. i’m donating most of it to habitat, but the floor was claimed by my wife. i’m keeping the joists and studs too. shingles go to the ex mother in law. i think i’m gonna take the siding to the farm. everything else that habitat will take goes there.

7 Likes

Wow, there was a lot I didn’t know about pex. Like that expansion tool I saw at work years ago, that’s for a specific type of pex - PEX A, as opposed to PEX B (or c). The pipe, is different, the fittings are different, etc.

I’m looking for the most compact, small ball valve for 1/2" pex to 1/2" pex (pex B, obviously). Something similar to the one in this post, this compact little valve, but with crimp barbs on both sides.

3 Likes

Pex Type A is what they used for most houses 30 years ago. The two are interchangeable (A and B) when it comes to fittings and tools. The big difference is Pex A fittings have a larger ID which gives you more flow, but less pressure. Pex B fittings have a smaller ID so there is a little more flow restriction, but more pressure. If flow is a concern, I’d use Pex A fittings, but my experience is pressure is more desirable than volume (inside the house). An analogy would be that with Pex A your washing machine may fill a little quicker, but your shower will have less pressure. I’ll take better shower pressure.

Pex A stands up to higher temperatures and pressures, but you will never see those pressures in the home, so it doesn’t matter.

Here are some smaller handled 1/2" Pex ball valves:

Amazon.com: 1/2-in Brass Pex Ball Valve, 1/4 Turn Pex Shut Off Valve with White T-handle,1/2" Mini Brass Pex Barb Valve for Pex Tubing for Hot or Cold Water- (2-Pack) : Industrial & Scientific

2 Likes

That’s crazy!
I’ve installed plenty of 1-1/8" plywood which I can hardly lift anymore, but 3" is crazy.

Is this some of that new CLT - Cross Laminated Timbers?

2 Likes

I believe you are able to rent a tool, if that’s what suits you best.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there were 2 types of pex.

When I built my house 15 years back, I used Uponer Wirsbo brand pex and manifolds.
I rented their expansion tool and I have not had any problems since with my decision to use their product.

4 Likes

Agreed, totally crazy!

As far as I know, there’s nothing “special” about it other than the large sheets were 20’ x 40’ and it’s three freakin’ inches thick!

As I said, was used as some kind of underlayment for a roof. It’s from the Portland International Airport remodel. He works for Skanska USA.

1 Like

Is the flooring installed with finish nails? Will you drive them through or pull them once the boards are free?

Fuck I’m nosy. I liked projects exactly like that! Is that 3 piece base? 1/4 round shoe, base and base cap?

Is it balloon framed? Rough dimension lumber? If it’s two story and it was ballooned framed, you’ll have studs around 20’ long at the peaks. Probably virtually clear lumber. Nice. Probably built with wire nails?

2 Likes

doesn’t look like it so far, looks like regular nails. gotta pull them out. yes it is three pieces, all look like white oak. the door frames are sweet also with that oak door jamb. most of them were just sitting there with no nails, even on the hinge side. not ballooned frame and the lumber is old but measures 1 3/4" and not 2". no wore nails in this house, built in the '40s i think, maybe a little earlier. i just hope i can get it all down before they demo it completely. so far it’s just me taking it down but after the floor goes it should fly.

2 Likes

Current project is a fun one:) Replacing rotten tapered round porch post’s.

Started off w a stack of 1x8 Douglas Fir boards. Glued them up into 8x8 blocks. Ripped them into octagons on the table saw. Portable hand plane and angle grind to “round.”

Still need to taper and reproduce the rounded bead at the base, tbc…

12 Likes

I agree with these statements. I work in trades currently and wirsbo style of pex is what I see on site as industry standerd. It’s very simple to install with almost no leaks.

3 Likes

i’m doing a job on a square column for a guy i go to church with. it started out a little water damage he had covered up five years ago. ended up needs half the porch taken down and new wood all the way to the foundation due to termites and water that has been leaking onto it since the siding got put up a long time ago. i didn’t go lower than the column and told him about it and what should be done, he agreed with stopping there though. so much bondo, on the second gallon now but i’m almost done. gonna look great when i paint it and shouldn’t rot any more with the bondo cap i put on the top with a nice slope.

6 Likes

Kitchen and bath we made.

14 Likes

11 Likes

Watch that last step it’s a doozy

2 Likes

You should see the first step down the bulkhead at the restaurant I’m working at. Fifteen inch drop to a four inch slick stone lintel for the first step, then standard tread concrete for the rest! Good thing there’s a pole right at the top to grab onto

2 Likes

Just going to the bathroom in some places is an adventure. Like @Hashpants s house

3 Likes

Hey! I shared that story in a moment of weakness, k.

2 Likes