Do y'all count days flowering from the date of flip or date of first pistils?

Good morning my friend how’s the pack doing

1 Like

They are totally bummed because it’s monsoon raining here

1 Like

I do both

I see something start to flower quickly and some that can take like 3 weeks to show buds
The ones that start late finish longer

I go by the flip date mostly for the feeding schedule but the final judge is the microscope

3 Likes

I would think that day 1 would be the day you change the lights but it could be different if you’re running clones or seed plants

1 Like

It’s quite nice here at this time of year

1 Like

I count from the Start of 12 12 myself. Indigenous peoples tend to count from the start of flowers.

5 Likes

I count because I have one flower tent and I want to have my next round ready to go when I harvest. For the same reason, I count from flip because it is more useful for planning. I tend not to grow anything that takes more than 10 weeks, so I always assume I’ll need 10 weeks from flip unless I already have experience with the strain.

That depends on the state. I was born with twin 1911’s in each tiny little fist. :cowboy_hat_face: :wink:

2 Likes

I consider the first 7 days after flipping to 12/12 as “transitioning week”.

I keep feeding veg nutes and slowly increase my PPFD over the course of the 7 days to ease them into the brightness and treat it as “flowering week 0”.

4 Likes

@Foreigner is canadian. they give 'em hockey sticks instead of pistils.

3 Likes

I count from day of flip give or take five days. Because well I’m out of data space in my head.

1 Like

I really only count to share info, but I use the flip date as day 1. Breeders on the other hand almost always use the flowering date because 8 weeks sounds more appealing than 10. This has caused a lot growers to harvest prematurely.

3 Likes

LOL, this is an endless debate. The fact is, it really doesn’t matter IMO. Some go from flip, some go from first sign up pistils. Myself, I just flip the plants and let them go until they are done without counting anything. I figure the plants can’t read the calendar, why should I bother. In the end, they plants are done when they are done no matter what the breeder stated on the package. But that’s me, everyone has their own way that works for them and whatever works for you is a good way. :v:

6 Likes

To me, you have to count from the flip date if we are talking indoors. That’s how most breeders lists flower times AFAIK.
And that’s what makes sense to me. The transition/stretch phase is part of flower time IMO.

Also, I give different types of feeds during the transition phase than I do once full flower kicks in, so I like to count from the day I flipped to flower for my feed schedule.

Just because you start counting from the flip date doesn’t mean you absolutely have to harvest at 8 weeks, or 9 weeks (or whatever the breeder might list) though. But you should still count flower time from the flip date IMO.

3 Likes

We should start a thread with a list of breeders and as growers finish their strains we can keep track if it’s 12:12 switch or when actual flowering starts

2 Likes

Thats how I do it too, its easier to follow the feed chart that way.

2 Likes

I absolutely love this!

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Growing from seed through to flower under a 12/12 regime and evEn when I used to used other schedules I read the plant rather some arbitrary countdown from flip or showing sex. Plants may show sex even under 18/6 after they reach a mature stage but that doesnt mean they are in flower. Therefore just learn to read the plant and the signs of readiness; trichomes, calyx, senescence etc.

1 Like

8fqqn9

5 Likes

Counting is original sin according to the Hebrew Bible.

What do you need to quantify because I think it’s the ripeness of the weed.

1 Like