Does LED cause sparse undergrowth?

I’m using this light in a 4x4 tent for flowering.

I get a lot of undergrowth and spindly buds vs. when I grew with a 1,000 W HPS.

I try to trim the undergrowth, but it just keeps growing back. My experience growing with 1,000 W HPS was very different. I trimmed the undergrowth once or twice, and it was done. I would get nice full buds.

Is it possible the light I have is not good for my use?

Thanks for any help!

3 Likes

That light is only 400 watts or 25 watts a square foot. I personally like to use a 650 watt in my 4x4 and 800 watt in my 5x5. It’s just my opinion but I don’t feel that light is powerful enough for a 4x4. Especially when comparing it to 1000 HPS. :v:

12 Likes

No they don’t, and yes you need more lights.
I use 2 600s 2 300s in a 5x2
Total watts is 280ish actual.
Imo i think 4 is perfect for yourself.

2 Likes

Leds don’t have the penetrative power that hps has. I’ve found I get a lot of popcorn buds below the canopy. BUT the yield above the canopy more than makes up for it.
I try to harvest in stages these days. I take everything above the canopy 1st and that allows more light to the lowers that usually gets an extra week or so to mature.

7 Likes

Just lollipop them, and your done with popcorn.
I pinch my plants at 3 node, they branch out and grow as if in a Scrog.
Make your plants grow in.and stay in the sweet spot.
I have found approximately 20 inches of plant can.be grown in the sweet spot if you skillfully do it.
That’s my cheapo leds
The good ones can do a lot more.

6 Likes

That is good advice that works.

5 Likes

I had the light turned up all the way. It burned the hell put of my ppants.

I have it turned down now.

I’ll post pics layer.

1 Like

Use the back of the hand technique
If it’s nice and toasty but not uncomfortable
Raise the light 4 inches more.
I have found with decent led ya have happier plants
If they are about 18 inches above canopy
Gl

4 Likes

It’s very cool above the canopy. I’ve got over 2 foot between the plants and light. I have the light turned down all the way. I don’t understand why my plants keep burning as is from too much light.

Those two burned before I turned the light all the way down. Lack of water, overfeeding, parasites is not the cause.
Overall grow tent:

A book for scale.

These are burned at the tops.
!20240322_144511|225x500

I never had any of these problems with HPS lighting.

All of this is why I’ thinking of going back to HPS growing.

2 Likes

LEDs are very strong, I also keep it at minimum power most of the time.
It’s fine, will make the LED last longer.
Also because they are so wide they have better penetration to the lowers so that’s why they keep growing back probably.
Just let the lower buds grow, it’s all extra bud.

I haven’t been producing the high quality, cannabis cup type of product since I went from HPS to LED. But, I’ve been making gummie edibles that are wesome.

The users above are telling me I need more light, not less. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If you’re burning the plants you obviously don’t need more light…
Listen to your plants.

Mine have looked like that when I’m not giving them enough water.
Have you grown that strain before?
It’s the effect that counts in the end, and if the yield is decent who cares what it looks like.

And this is not light burn, the tops would be bleached yellow / white and the upper leaves pointing stiffly downwards.

3 Likes

I agree looks over fertilized, then suffered an extreme dryback and the burnt tips shriveled.

2 Likes

Grew this strain a million times.

These aren’t the only plants that I;ve burned with this light. I’ve vbeen through troubleshooting several different grows.

The only change that I make that has made a difference is turning the light down.

I’ve grown for over 5 years and never had a problem with water or nutrients.

I tohught I had went through isolating and eliminating variables, but I’ll try more,

1 Like

Howdy @petedacook, have you noticed your plants drinking any more or less since the switch to LED’s from HID lighting?

I think what you’re observing is a change in the rate of transpiration leading to nutrient imbalances that you’re not used to seeing at harvest. I think if you can sort weather they’re transpiring more or if they’re transpiring less than when you were running the HID you can start to dial your harvests in better under the new LED.

I’d suggest going back the the HID though. Is there a particular reason you switched to LED’s? Many blessings and much love

4 Likes

That’s incredibly insightful. Thanks!

I needed a light when I started growing again. My searches kept pulling up LED. I heard LED was better and I could save money in terms of wattage and heat.

I’ve wanted to go back ever since then.

I bought a 1,000 W HPS light last week off Ebay, but the seller is MIA. LOL
They have my money locked up until the 31’st.

Whatever happens, I think I’m going back to HID lighting.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I made the mistake of listening to users in this post that are harping on “NoT eNoUgh liGhT.”

I put a new plant in the 12/12 tent, and I turned the light up 1 notch.

After 1 day; Thanks! It’s already burning the plant. This plant was very healthy green until I put it in the 12/12 tent with the light up a little. One day is all it took.

1 Like

Sure doesn’t look like a light burn/issue to me. Unless you have the led touching the plant.

6 Likes

Edit:

What light are you using in the veg tent?
If they’re going from HPS to LED then that could be it.
I’d use the same type of light for both tents.

They grow up getting used to one type of light and then boom, suddenly they have to flower AND adjust to the new light. It’s a shock.

2 Likes

This light is in the veg tent.