Let's see your worm bins!

Feel free to post pics of your worm bins/ quality worm castings, what to put in them, techniques to increase breeding or any other thing worm related goodies!

lol

19 Likes

So I just finished up harvesting some castings, up until now all I’v ever added was straw, fall leaves cardboard products ,kitchen scraps ! Not a bad haul in the previous pics for the last six months or so of vermicomposting!

With this round all those ingredients are going in the next batch along with :bokashi, malted barley, alfalfa meal and kelp! Should make for some good growing amendments!

My pots(2) are 25 gallon fabric grow pots for my bins!

7 Likes

Careful with the alfalfa. Can kill all your worms fast! Switch it out with neem meal. Barley, neem, and kelp!! Id show a pic of mine but it just looks like mulchXD

5 Likes

I’v heard that with alfalfa, with the interview of coot in KIS organics podcast I only put a fistful in the new bin so I think I’ll be safe ! What was the theory behind the excessive alfalfa? @lotus710 I don’t recall exactly?

2 Likes

No theory. Alfalfa is really strong and it gets super hot

3 Likes

Might not be bad thing going into the winter months in cold garage then? LOL

4 Likes

Still, this is necessary, I have to get into this Yes, they own compost, and they are a beast

1 Like

:expressionless: I just tossed a spoon of alfalfa in with their dinner. Hopefully it’s not enough to do them in…

4 Likes

Rove beetle

2 Likes

You should be fine with the amounts you used:)

1 Like

Where are the worms?

1 Like

If you ask you shall receive!

Trying to shoot the pic with red headlamp on but the camera flash has a tendency to chase them off rather quickly! I’ll get a better pic while their gorging themselves at a later date!

4 Likes

Had to feed them anyway :wink:

8 Likes

What do you use for your bin?

1 Like

Do you produce enough worms to sell some for fishing bait?

4 Likes

Did that as a kid. Helped me save up enough for a new bike. Had to water the lawn and garden really well just before dark then go out with a flash light and bucket collecting them. They were 50 or 75 cents a dozen. We never had a worm box/bin though. Had a sign on the main road pointing to the house. People would knock at 3am. Hard good lesson.

cheers

10 Likes

Worm farm from amazon.

This one? I read that dumping your dirt with worms can be harmful to some habitats if the wrong worm is introduced.

2 Likes

I use them through the winter while ice fishing! Yes they produce like mad it’s said that under ideal conditions 1 lb of worms can yeild 1000 pounds a year from now!

It takes a baby worm like 42 days to become sexually mature each worm will produce almost four cocoons per week with about 4 worms per cocoon! To bad my money doesn’t multiply that fast! LOL

6 Likes

Sorry it was called Vermihut, but thise are.the worms I ordered. :heart_eyes:

This one.
https://www.amazon.com/VermiHut-5-Tray-Worm-Compost-Green/dp/B018RU0BAS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_ii_img

5 Likes