Let's see your worm bins!

Feel free to post pics of your worm bins/ quality worm castings, what to put in them, techniques to increase breeding or any other thing worm related goodies!

lol

40 Likes

So I just finished up harvesting some castings, up until now all I’v ever added was straw, fall leaves cardboard products ,kitchen scraps ! Not a bad haul in the previous pics for the last six months or so of vermicomposting!

With this round all those ingredients are going in the next batch along with :bokashi, malted barley, alfalfa meal and kelp! Should make for some good growing amendments!

My pots(2) are 25 gallon fabric grow pots for my bins!

10 Likes

Careful with the alfalfa. Can kill all your worms fast! Switch it out with neem meal. Barley, neem, and kelp!! Id show a pic of mine but it just looks like mulchXD

10 Likes

I’v heard that with alfalfa, with the interview of coot in KIS organics podcast I only put a fistful in the new bin so I think I’ll be safe ! What was the theory behind the excessive alfalfa? @lotus710 I don’t recall exactly?

3 Likes

No theory. Alfalfa is really strong and it gets super hot

4 Likes

Might not be bad thing going into the winter months in cold garage then? LOL

7 Likes

Still, this is necessary, I have to get into this Yes, they own compost, and they are a beast

1 Like

:expressionless: I just tossed a spoon of alfalfa in with their dinner. Hopefully it’s not enough to do them in…

5 Likes

Rove beetle

6 Likes

You should be fine with the amounts you used:)

1 Like

Where are the worms?

1 Like

If you ask you shall receive!

Trying to shoot the pic with red headlamp on but the camera flash has a tendency to chase them off rather quickly! I’ll get a better pic while their gorging themselves at a later date!

11 Likes

Had to feed them anyway :wink:

14 Likes

What do you use for your bin?

1 Like

Do you produce enough worms to sell some for fishing bait?

4 Likes

Did that as a kid. Helped me save up enough for a new bike. Had to water the lawn and garden really well just before dark then go out with a flash light and bucket collecting them. They were 50 or 75 cents a dozen. We never had a worm box/bin though. Had a sign on the main road pointing to the house. People would knock at 3am. Hard good lesson.

cheers

11 Likes

Worm farm from amazon.

This one? I read that dumping your dirt with worms can be harmful to some habitats if the wrong worm is introduced.

2 Likes

I use them through the winter while ice fishing! Yes they produce like mad it’s said that under ideal conditions 1 lb of worms can yeild 1000 pounds a year from now!

It takes a baby worm like 42 days to become sexually mature each worm will produce almost four cocoons per week with about 4 worms per cocoon! To bad my money doesn’t multiply that fast! LOL

10 Likes

Sorry it was called Vermihut, but thise are.the worms I ordered. :heart_eyes:

This one.
https://www.amazon.com/VermiHut-5-Tray-Worm-Compost-Green/dp/B018RU0BAS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_ii_img

7 Likes