Dry ice hash help

You have to let the hash dry after you run it through dry ice or it will go mouldy. Leave it spread out somewhere to air dry for a day depending how much you ran.

Edit: agree with afore mentioned … dry ice will destroy your bubble bags.

2 Likes

Hmmmm it’s been 6 days in the jars. I checked on them now and I can’t see any mold. There’s no moldy smell.

I read some tutorials that said u can jar right away. They are in the freezer now

Really hope I didn’t mess up all that hash

4 Likes

Cool… just keep an eye on it. Ive had dry ice hash go blue on me before… long as no bad smells or white/blue skin showing you should be ok

3 Likes

I used fresh frozen to make dry ice hash and lost it all to mold.

If your starting material is dry, you’re probably fine… I should have dried mine before I stored it :frowning:

I’d be interested to know if you could store it in the freezer…

3 Likes

Stored in the freezer it should not mold. But I always dry mine out.

The reason to dry it is that it gets very cold from the dry ice. This causes some amount of water vapor from the air to condense onto the hash.

For ~$15 you can get a small rechargeable dehumidifier. I recommend going to Target and buying a clear Rubbermaid container with a gasket and a cheap humidity sensor. Put the sensor, hash and dehumidifier into the box and wait for the humidity to drop to <15%. You will be left with a sandy texture of hash that will not mold or clump when you break it apart.

Other uses for the dry box are drying pollen or storing for several months, and drying seeds. Very useful tool for the home grower!!

14 Likes

What I use:

Dehumidifier:

10 Likes

Yes you shoukd still dry dry sift. Gets moisture from the dry ice in it

2 Likes

It sat in a box for 3 weeks after it dried fully for a week so yeah it was quite dry.

I’ll keep an eye on it …thanks for making me aware everyone!

Is it worth it now to remove from freezer and try and dry it?

I had a whole jar pretty much stuffed so who knows what inside looks like. I really hope it didn’t mold. If it did oh well it was all buds that were too small and airy to trim and trim.

Live and learn I guess

6 Likes

Rather be safe than sorry bud

1 Like

I’d say it should be fine if it had a few weeks in a box before you froze it,I haven’t tried making it with dry ice but have made lots with ice and with in a couple weeks it can be stored in a jar with no issues .

1 Like

Mold is inactive at freezer temps, so it won’t be growing or producing toxins in that environment. I think it’s fine.

I also think soap and isopropyl is fine for this situation too. Almost all of the mold spores will have been removed or killed. It’s not really the spores that are the issue either, but the toxic compounds they produce as they grow. Just don’t leave it sitting out of the freezer if you’re really worried. If you take it out, you might want to just go ahead and activate it by baking in the oven. If there were a couple spores transferred from the bag, they die at decarb temps before they can multiply and produce toxins.

4 Likes

Well the product was in a box for weeks so it was crumbly dry, then I made the hash with it and it sat in a jar for 6 days before I froze it.

Just to be clear

1 Like

See that im not 100% sure on… however dry the working material is… ive found fresh run dry ice hash needs to dry out a bit before being jarred or bagged. But that’s just me. I woukd have dried it oit then jarred it and froze it.

1 Like

Yes I’d say take it out of the jars and dry it completely then jar again .

@SquirtleSquad how did this end up playing out?

I have a ton of flower that I’m considering doing the dry ice method for hash then smashing it all into wax.

2 Likes

Came out a bit green. I used 220 micron bags for most of it though. If you are pressing it should be fine to use 160s. Make sure u used a hash size bag. I used some 90s and all the hash squirted out. Was bizarre. Use 37s

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what I’m pressing with currently.

2 Likes

I still got about 11oz I need to press.

My press cylindwr needed a gasket repair

Looked like a PITA so I just replaced it. Havebt had chance to install yet though

Got a few lbs worth trim and small buds I need to process to hash still. Slacking lol

3 Likes

Haha, not a bad problem to have :wink:

2 Likes

Nope. But with each harvest the pile grows. Figure i can pull at least a half # of rosin with it all. My plates are only 3x3 so thats a lotta pressing

3 Likes