Drying in tent - First timer

Hey there! I’ve got my first ever harvest hanging up to dry! Super excited to try this Purple Punch.

Quick question: Does it matter if the colas and buds are touching each other when hanging upside down? I hung the whole plant. Necessary to separate colas so they don’t lay on each other?

never dried before - I’ve got a separate tent w a filer exhaust fan, small circulation fan to move air in tent and a dehumidifier set to keep humidity around 45-50%.

3 Likes

I like a little gap between colas and I shoot for 60% humidity with a little air movement.

6 Likes

Any suggestions on how to separate? They just kinda naturally curl in to each other hanging upside down. How much air movement? I have a little fan on low

2 Likes

It would be preferable for them to not be touching, but if your airflow is good, a little bumping isn’t the end of the world. Point the internal circulation fan at the wall on low, pointed up so it’ll mix with the humid air that rises in and even out the humidity. I wouldn’t set your dehumidifier that low, more like 60-65% RH after the first 24 hours at full blast to get the moisture down from the danger zone quickly. Once the tent is holding steady at 60-65% for a day or two, you can buck them either right into jars and start burping, or give them a few days to sweat in closed brown paper bags, vented once a day.

5 Likes

I keep my strings taught so there’s no slack so they don’t slide together. A little is ok, just don’t jam them together.

Just a little air movement. A tiny fan should be more than enough. I like to see my colas swing softly in the breeze.

2 Likes

We have a good thread over here that’s worth a read: Dry & Curing Science

3 Likes

Ya for sure you’ll want some space in between the colas. If you can’t keep them apart I would start chopping the plant so you can hang the branches separately. Aim for 60/60… 60F at 60% humidity or in and around that range as much as possible. Whole plant hanging is good but not a deal breaker, especially if you live in a humid climate. I would be more concerned about the colas on top of each other more than anything. You’ll want indirect air flow, nothing blowing directly on the buds… just point the fan away from the plant, at the bottom of the tent or something and nothing too strong… just air movement is good. I’ve never tried this but heard experienced growers talk about the 60/60 method for two weeks and into jars to store. No burping or air exchange necessary at that point. Just two weeks at 60/60 then storage. I want to try it on my next sensi crop.

2 Likes

@NorthNorthNugs I made a drying box that I run around 65 degrees and 65% RH, pushing that down to 60% for the last few days. Took me around 10-12 days to dry to snappy but not clean breaking stems. I tried it last run with my two best plants in a staggered harvest and got the best dry and cure so far, really happy with the Inkbird-regulated approach:

4 Likes

I do the same approach,Do a cardboard box with some lateral vent holes,I put a Little Dehumifier 20 watt of Power,close It or keep It open and let the hygrometer help me with the Readings.The temperature goes 20 Celsius and RH 55 to 60.After three days It drops to 55-51% and they are snappy,no Hay smell anymore and ready to go in 1 day into the jars
You can hang the flowers or lay Them over paper kitchen towels inside the box,I did the latter this run and they became very flat on their lying side,this I advice hanging Them in the box

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks a bunch everyone. One more quick question. My Humidity has been pretty consistent at high 30s to mid high 40s. Should I add a humidifier? I have one and started using it today set to only pump to 45% but I’m worried that may cause issues with inconsistency in the grow space causing issues…?

Round mult-tiered drying racks are good especially if you’re drying in a tent, best to wet trim the bigger leaves first though.

2 Likes

Just put a tray or bucket of water in the drying tent with the fan blowing on it, that’ll bring the humidity right back up.

2 Likes

Obviously, you gotta keep the water and tray fresh and clean, change it every day or two so you don’t give anything a chance to get growing in it.

1 Like