Adding humidity during drying

So I set up a drying tent and I can’t seem to get the temp below about 74 and my humidity is sitting at around 45.

I know these are less than optimal but without freezing my house out and running my light bill up I can’t possibly think of a way to get the temps down to 60 like is recommended. I know I could get an ink bird and maintain 60 percent humity but that involves a humidifier and things that aren’t typical to my everyday environmental needs. Are there any tricks for raising humidity so I don’t end up with a 4 day dry? I don’t mean like trimming techniques because that ship has sailed and will be implemented next round.

Im well aware that whole plant hanging is probably the key to this which I realized in typing it.

4 Likes

Maybe use a fan controller and pull much less air through the tent. The plants themselves should raise the humidity.

2 Likes

I have one it’s on the lowest setting and I have a small fan inside to move air around. I’m thinking my exhaust is very heavy. The answer is an ink bird. It’s always an inkbird.

Are the temps too high to dry in a quality manner?

1 Like

I don’t think so. I usually run about 74 daytime 68 nighttime that’s just what my house temp is while sleeping and while awake. Never a problem. I do need a dehu though. Maybe you could get a smaller exhaust. If you have a 6" get a 4". Close the flaps/vents some(negative air pressure). Even a timer for the exhaust.

2 Likes

The most effective option is, as you mentioned, a humidifier and hygrometer/hygrostat inside the drying space. That’s how you do it most safely and effectively.
If you want a diy, I’ve heard Doug say he puts a bowl of water in the tent with a towel half in the bowl, and half hanging out. The evaporation increases the humidity in the tent.

3 Likes

I literally just posted a topic on this same thing a few days ago and I was averaging 75 degrees and 54% humidity and I hung the whole plant and I just kept those conditions as close as possible 60% is recommended but I have learned that it’s recommended but it is definitely different for everyone depending on the place that you live and you will probably get several dozen answers throughout the post but in the end it’s your plant and see what works best for YOU and Im just curious about how big your plant is and I screwed up the first time by chopping it into bigger branches and the last two harvests which I am on day 8 of jar cure so I hope you are able to bring the humidity up a bit but I can only recommend a bowl of water in the corner and I was told that I was pushing to much air and just enough to move stagnant air out but not blowing on the plant hope you find something to help you out The Doc… @HeadyBearAdventures is right I have a ultrasonic cool mist humidifier I use and I use it throughout the whole grow living in Colorado so it’s probably the best solution but don’t worry about the temp at least I haven’t basically the humidity

3 Likes

Get an inkbird man. Takes all the guesswork out of it.

8 Likes

The towel in the bucket raised it up to 50 percent I’m bout to cut the inside fan off

Get the ink bird, get a 20$ humidifier and save your hard earned harvest.
If you can get temps to 65/65 or 60/60 you’re golden.

2 Likes

You don’t want to cut the inside fan off. Turning the fan off + temps well above where you want them = you’re just asking for budrot/mold issues.

1 Like

Something to mention about the lesser expensive humidifiers are that some produce a film with the mist that gets over everything near by.

5 Likes

I had this issue and did not want to add a humidifier as it just felt wrong putting that mist into the air. What I did was put a large bowl of water on one side of the tent. Took a towel and put it half in the water, the other half was left lying stretched out across the floor of the tent. Put a fan on the end in front of the towel so it blows across it. This brought down my humidity, worked quite well. Just got to fill the water every day and the towel will just keep wicking it up.

1 Like

Yeah if you are going to use a misting humidifier then you want to make sure it is well away from the plants so that it has time to properly mix into the air and finish evaporating completely before it has a chance to hit the plants. Definitely not inside or even close to the tent. You want it on the other side of the room.

2 Likes

I did the water and towel thing but I made the mistake of wetting the towel first. It literally wicked all the water out of the bucket and into the floor :joy: but it was good for raising the humidity. It’s a concrete utility floor so it’s irrelevant but I wasn’t exactly expecting that lol

2 Likes

With me it was in my drying tent so the liner kept it from messing things up.

1 Like

yup… that’s ultrasonic humidifiers. I’ll use them for veg stage… for my curing tent I have an old school Honeywell humidifier with fan and filter. filter acts as a wick with fan blowing on it and doesn’t leave a film… got my last one for $5 at a church sale!

4 Likes