DWC cloner ok?

usually that’s a product of light exposure. I try to block most light and I have an air gap between the water and the neoprene holding the clone stem.

usually if the neoprene touches the surface of the water, the clones will die.

2 Likes

More clones are dying now. Damn. Probably has to do something with increasing the temperature about 4 degree celsius. Are you using bleach?

Set the temps now down to 18 and reduce the lights to only one t5.
Is root rot an internal disease, I am wondering if there is some issue with the mother plants, because they were standing a bit too wet recently?

Do the mother plants need a special feeding for cloning? I am just giving them the lucas formula from the main reservoir also.

1 Like

I use 6 gallons of unphed tap water and 1 ml of 3% H202. If you can try to get one of those black hdx 7 gallon totes at home depot they work really well to block light.

How often do you sterilize everything including air stones?

Id also like to suggest not adding nutes untill you see root calouses as they dont need them. Then, dump your water and replace with 300ppm max. Which is completely optional. I use the clonex nutrient solution.

Another wierd thought, do you have enough bubbles getting to them?

4 Likes

Sodium is no good for plants … :shushing_face:

1 Like

Most of them died. :smiley: I guess I am cultivating a pathogen :smiley:

As next step, I did some new clones and run the reservoir now with 4ppm of chlorine at 20 degree celsius. (ambient temps are lower, its getting colder here now)

Reduced the light to one t5 only. I did read if you have low photosynthesis roots are getting build earlier.

I also nearly doubled the air pump power to 60 liters per minute. I have 6 air stones running.
My clones are submerged in the water (styrofoam raft). Maybe if the clones are directly in the water, they need a much stronger air pump?

Has anybody an idea how I can sterilize the polysterene raft? Does anybody know how much degree celsius it can take before dissolving? I could put it in the oven, but I am unsure what temperatures would be needed.

How do you disinfect the neoprene btw?

1 Like

I just scrub things up with hot water and dish soap. Or bleach or whatever just rinse it good.

1 Like

You should cut the clones with a sterylized blade right below a node with a 45 degree angle and put them in water inmediatly, if you post a pic of your cloner it will be more easy to help you … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I like to cut them at the same angle as the leaf that was on the node that you are cutting from

2 Likes

Were you referring to me about sodium?

1 Like

You will have to explain me better that icon_e_confused|nullxnull , I just took some ideas from here, only did it once, don’t like to repeat a strain having all those available … Pirata|nullxnull

2 Likes

I was refering to this, once in the water the chlorine and the sodium separates, that’s why in the past as a punishment they threw salt in the fields so they couldn’t have new crops … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ahhhh lol. I was wondering. Sorry. Wanted to make sure I wasnt screwing up something.

1 Like

I think the humidity dome is always necessary, while they don’t have roots their intake is from the leaves, they should be humid for that, at least 90 or 100% humidity so they can get some moisture from the air … :sunglasses:

I never run a humidity dome.

3 Likes

I agree, Ive never run a humidity dome for the bubble cloner.

1 Like

Did some of you guys ever used flooming or a waterfall for getting oxygen in the water in your cloner?
So not an air stone?

1 Like

Yeah you can get away without humidity domes in some environments. Especially if you are around enough to give them a spray with water every now and then. I have done it plenty of times.

1 Like

I have a small water pump that sprays the water around the root area. I have it set to come on for 2 seconds every 2 minutes. That is plenty enough aeration for mine. Nubs in 3 to 5 days, roots in 5 to 7 days.
Do you have your roots hanging in air in this setup you are talking about?

1 Like

I know your clones are succesful and I am glad for it, but this is not the case. Maybe they are failing for not having enough humidity, spraying them as BudSy suggested or helping them to keep a high humidity and moisture looks as a reasonable option to avoid them dying as it is currently happening … :sunglasses:

1 Like

It looks to me like it’s pathogens though. I’ve only had them rot out like that due to:

1. light exposure to nutrient
  2. pathogens

They’re actually both the same thing, as light makes the pathogens grow. This one time though I would just keep making clones over and over in the same rubbermaid after several rounds the clones all started rotting. So I took and scrubbed it clean, then they were rooting again.
In cases where you need a humidity dome, the plants will wilt if there is no dome. In fact, that’s how I tested to see if my grapefruit tree clones were rooted yet, I would take them out of the dome and see if they wilted. Once they wilted - back into the dome. Or if they didn’t wilt I would take them out and give them to someone who wanted a tree. Same with rooting the apple tree, had to use a humidity dome over the twig. Those two plants weren’t rooted in DWC, they were rooted in potting mix inside a dome at 90% humidity. You can spray em, but I don’t think that’s the “root” of the problem!

3 Likes