(Edited)Need help buying a veg light

Damn my friend told me to get a blurple. Why is the blurple no good? Color?

Yea bro I think I’m going to return the blurple it was an impulsive buy. For now I think I’m goin with led t5s. My buddy says because I would be moving plants from veg at night under light to opening tent during the day for natural sun the cheap blurple wouldn’t cause as much stress because the blurple has a spectrum closer to the sun? I’m thinking if it’s only going to be around 30$ a month to run 300 watts of led t5s I think I’d rather go that route. In the near future I do want to make a diy light and tent up some autos. So thankful for this group and brother hood here. Giving me the knowledge big aloha

3 Likes

Your friend is giving bad advice bro. Probably with good intentions though so not his fault. When you look at the sun you don’t see blue and red (purple) colours. You see white light. The blue and red was initially a failed experiment by NASA as far as I’m aware. That was then utilised by grow light manufacturers.
If you’re looking to buy a light pre built I stand by what I said with mars hydro. Any issues and they’re literally on hand on this forum to help you out bro

1 Like

Thank you friend I’m going to stick to my gut a go with a mars. I think the tsw2000 suits my veg area perfect. I’m going back and forth in my head with that or just shop lights with led bulbs. Ughhh . I think the mats will be easier because just one light and easier to manage. I appreciate you

1 Like

I Just want to put this light out there for you guys.I’ve been using mine for about 6 months now no issues stays pretty cool and pretty cheap to run.Sonlipo makes them and the bottom line is the plants love them.They can be Daisy chained have UV and A sunshine sunset function built into the light.I don’t know of another light that does that without the aide of a control box.If there is issues I know people that have these lights and the company gets to you fast and ships a new light so good customer service in the case of the unimaginable too.Have Veg and bloom modes and full spectrum light with built in timer and the option to turn on and off the timer display for total darkness.One will do a 2x2 excellently Pair a couple up and I think you might be surprised.

2 Likes

Thanks man checking it out now

The gavita pro 1700e is the most efficient I believe… I could be wrong… but that’s why I bought the gavita… it also comes with a 5 year warrantee I’m pretty sure… but I haven’t needed that… so far 1 and a half years in … zero issue with performance… bit of a learning curve. But if u want power… and efficiency… then I’d say gavita pro 1700e… lots of blue light in them… keeps plants much shorter…

Blurple is really good for vegging. It’s cheap and really accessible.

NASA uses it still lol…it’s great for leafy growth, which is veg stage.

However, for flower period it’s inefficient.

Apache LED is the NASA tech. Or it used to be when they had the patent. It was blurple at the time

I wouldn’t return it, I would get the cheapest light you can find to do veg. Flower period is where it matters.

I’ve used a couple of these with great success indoors vegging for two years they come with hanging gear also
Amazon.com : Grow Light with Stand, LBW Full Spectrum 150W LED Floor Plant Light for Indoor Plants, Grow Lamp with On/Off Switch, Adjustable Tripod Stand 15-48 inches : Patio, Lawn & Garden
they vegged 6 plants indoors here is one

1 Like

Dr. Bruce Bugsby who did the original NASA work suggests white LEDs now. The old “Blurple” lights are just that, old technology. Not to mention they are not very nice to look at and take pictures. :camera_flash:

3 Likes

I would 100% recomend Grow Light Science 300 or 320

1 Like

Thankyou for the elaboration bro. I’m too high to even look for legit references. Travelling led to tolerance or not :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe. However The Veggie system is what they STILL use and it’s blurple.

They have innovated for sure, but for leafy veggies they use blurple, and again, veg is leafy period. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

Maybe they are, but they are not using cheap Amazon blurples. Not to mention the DLI requirements for leafy greens is a lot lower than for vegging cannabis.

I would suggest a board style light with Samsung LM301B/H diodes. They are usually available for about $1 per watt and have a decent efficiency.

2 Likes

In certain phases sure, but in early veg it’s about the same 20-30 DLI and even less for seedlings.

This isn’t a question for a commercial facilty where your answers would be more appropriate but rather a home grow based on $. It’s about keeping mothers in stasis

1$ a watt for a veg light in a home grow? No thanks.

2 Likes

If I were new to growing indoors, I would definitely buy (or make) a single board style, full spectrum light that has a dimmer and about 300 watts output. That way you can use the same light for veg and for flower and get a decent harvest. You just dim it down to 25%-30% for veg and increase output for flower.
The light I have is 480 watts and I have not turned it up past 75%. This is in a 4x4 tent.

1 Like

t the GROWSTAR Store

4.3 out of 5 stars 60Reviews

GROWSTAR MN-W3000 LED Grow Light 3x3ft Samsung LM301B Grow Bar Light IR with MeanWell Driver, Dimmable Full Specturm Daisy Chain Grow Lamps Foldable Commercial Grow Lights 2.7 µmol/J for Indoor Plants

1. GROWSTAR MN-W3000 LED Grow Light 3x3ft Samsung LM301B Grow Bar Light IR with MeanWell Driver, Dimmable Full Specturm Daisy Chain Grow Lamps Foldable Commercial Grow Lights 2.7 µmol/J for Indoor Plants|pxxpx

1 Like

What do you guys think about this one? Has mean well driver and Samsung diodes

2022 Upgraded MARS HYDRO FC-E3000 300Watt LED Grow Light 3X3ft UV IR Full Spectrum Grow Light Bar with 1184pcs Diodes, Dimmable & Detachable Grow Lampe for Veg Bloom Flower, Achieve 2.8 umol/J

1. 2022 Upgraded MARS HYDRO FC-E3000 300Watt LED Grow Light 3X3ft UV IR Full Spectrum Grow Light Bar with 1184pcs Diodes, Dimmable & Detachable Grow Lampe for Veg Bloom Flower, Achieve 2.8 umol/J|pxxpx

1 Like

Check out those charts with all the squares. You will want high numbers. The center will have the biggest numbers. That’s where highest concentration of light is. Around the edges, the higher there better. Also keep an eye at the hieght from the canopy to get those numbers. These show 8", 10", 12" from the canopy.
I know money is tight. Obviously a big factor in ANYONE’S grow. But between those two, I would probably choose the MH. Better known brand, and we have a @MarsHydro guy on site if things go strange. Plus based on the numbers in those graphs, the MH will provide more light around the edges of your tent. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

3 Likes