Embryo Rescue of Old seeds protocol

Embryo Rescue Protocol for Old Seeds Using Tissue Culture:

Materials:

1. Old seeds with low germination potential
  2. Sterile distilled water
  3. Disinfectant (e.g., bleach)
  4. Sterile culture medium (e.g., Murashige and Skoog medium)
  5. Sterile containers (Petri dishes, culture tubes)
  6. Scalpel or sterile razor blade
  7. Plant growth regulators (e.g., auxins and cytokinins)
  8. Incubator with controlled temperature and light conditions
  9. Laminar flow hood for aseptic work

Procedure:

1. Seed Surface Sterilization:
  • Immerse seeds in a solution of 10% bleach for 10-15 minutes.
  • Rinse seeds thoroughly with sterile distilled water.
  1. Isolation of Embryos:
  • Work under a laminar flow hood.
  • Using a sterile scalpel or razor blade, excise embryos from the surface-sterilized seeds.
  1. Initiation of Culture:
  • Place isolated embryos onto the sterile culture medium in Petri dishes or culture tubes.
  • Ensure the medium contains appropriate plant growth regulators to stimulate embryo development.
  1. Incubation:
  • Seal containers to maintain sterility.
  • Place containers in the incubator at a controlled temperature (typically 25°C) with appropriate light conditions.
  1. Sub-culturing:
  • Monitor embryo development regularly.
  • Sub-culture embryos onto fresh medium as needed, adjusting plant growth regulators accordingly.
  1. Rooting and Acclimatization:
  • Once embryos develop into plantlets, induce rooting by adjusting growth regulator concentrations.
  • Transfer rooted plantlets to soil or another suitable substrate for acclimatization.
  1. Hardening Off:
  • Gradually expose acclimatized plants to ambient environmental conditions for successful adaptation.
  1. Documentation:
  • Record all steps, observations, and any modifications made during the process.

Notes:

• Maintain aseptic conditions throughout the procedure to prevent contamination.
  • Adjust plant growth regulator concentrations based on the specific needs of the plant species.
26 Likes

Thank you for stating this thread, it valuable information!

5 Likes

Much respect. Love how OG is starting to embrace tissue culture, I’ve been learning for a year and a half now and truly hope I will have a set up by fall the latest

12 Likes

Where would the embryo be after cracking open the seed? Was looking this up for a bit and also getting into tissue culture.

3 Likes

Been trying a bit myself.

7 Likes

Oh so just get that piece Inside the shell and that the embryo? You don’t have to cut the inside piece up (embryo) Into smaller pieces? Like finding the meristem?

2 Likes

I don’t believe so just have to get it out of the seed intact.

3 Likes

I see but the hard part might be finding the right mixtures for the embryo to grow I need to start reading again there’s some seeds that me and a friend can’t germinate. He gave up and let me have them so now I’m trying anything I can to germinate these beans.

2 Likes

No one likes sharing protocols. It’s unfortunate. I’m not using any hormones at the moment.

3 Likes