Environment here changed

Do you not understand the name of the thread is the environment has changed? We’re talking about how things used to be compared to now. You just want to make arguments about profits and running a business, without the context of where all these donations and auctions originated from.

Ok ,well if I asked for a bunch of donations bc I was gonna get surgery for some ailment I had but couldn’t afford it, and all my friends and family responded positively. So much so that 1 + year later they are still sending me money, but now I don’t need it, it just goes in my bank account and I spend it on movies, fun shit, whatever just not associated with my ailment. If I never turned the money down or told people to stop trying to raise money for me, would I not be dishonest?

1 Like

Lol, no he’s not. But yet you have a place to post such bs. If you feel that way, don’t donate. Donations does not mean you or anyone else here suddenly owns the place and LJ needs to provide you with detailed accounting. There are other alternatives to keep the lights on, none of which would be appreciated I’d imagine.

For the IT experts, ya’ll have a long ways to go until you realize the time, effort, risk, investment, expense, and infrastructure involved behind running a platform worldwide. Best way to learn, give it a shot yourselves. Some have tried, BTW.

Yeah, I’m irritated. I think I ate too much Taco Bell.

13 Likes

When Joe reached out to me I was fairly new, probly 3 months old or so, he asked for a donation to help keep the site running. Hell I get lots of fun, information, an occasional freebie, friendship and comraderie. So I donated. I was getting a lot for nothing.
I don’t expect anything but what I’m getting. Plus I have met a lot of cool mofos here.
Having said all that, I do think $$$$ should be done by PM. My reason is this… OG was already shut down once. If we want it to remain active, the $$$$ needs to stay out of the equation. Any time money is involved in ANYTHING the government wants their slice of the pie And they get mad when they don’t get it.

6 Likes

So you are saying he asked for donations for the big server upgrade and to keep things running and than just didn’t tell people to stop sending. Sorry but that is not the same as your surgery analogy. Server will always need funding, unlike surgery it’s not a one time thing so I don’t feel those two things compare. In your analogy I agree the person is being dishonest, I just don’t see the 2 things as the same.

For the record I have been in IT for over 25 years and have done Data center support for major banks through many of them. I for one do have a pretty dam good understanding of the costs and time involved. :wink:

8 Likes

Seems like Joe is fine with us doing auctions.

I’m with big Mike. I’m done w this trash, yall can have your fucking auctions and donations if it makes you feel better, but don’t fool yourself that joe is in this for anything other than money. And that’s totally cool w me, in fact if I had his idea first I’d want to monetize it too. It’s the fact he put it on members to invest in upgrades and they’ve probably surpassed that request by 10x. All the while joe isn’t turning anything down. A simple statement that he didn’t need the donations or hey guys donations aren’t needed for infrastructure but ibrun this like a business and I want to pay myself and others- that would go a long fucking way.

Whatever, I’ll see yall in my thread this shit is stupid af.

Mostly referring to the back of the envelope calculators. There was a whole shark’s tank topic on this, a number of times.

1 Like

donations are one thing, but cuts of profits from seed runs or auctions “for the server” are another. People can donate to whatever they want, but they should understand where their money is going, and if they are led to believe one thing, when another one is true, then that is being less than honest or forthright. Lemonade Joe always sends messages to new members after a certain amount of activity or time (it’s probably a pre-installed script that does that) asking for funds, and as @BigMike55 pointed out he said it was to “keep the site running,” when in fact the server has been paid for long ago, and so has the XenForo license and mods he has added, so to reach out to new members suggesting that they donate it seems like he is asking them to help the community as a whole, and not to go in to his pocket. His business model is to build a community spirit and then profit from it - that’s the same model many other forums use, but it isn’t what is being advertised.

6 Likes

Don’t hit the nail on the head. The hammer might come back at ya.

4 Likes

Fair enough, I was not here for the famed Shark Tank. Have been through the garbage can though. Just one of the folks who realizes how costly in time and money these things can be. Nothing is cheap in the server world.

3 Likes

Giveaways as well :slight_smile:

When soliciting donations some transparency would go along way. Like we are building to X goal to fund Y and Z.

As far as we users know he’s just lining his pockets. Transparency would dispell that notion, or prove it correct. Again it’s the difference of being a non profit vs a for profit, legally it’s a strict distinction.

A for-profit can raise money from private investors, for which it must give equity or dividends to shareholders; ultimately, a return on investment is expected. A nonprofit, on the other hand, can seek donations from individuals, foundations and corporations.

I’ve used many forums over the last 25+ years and I’ve never been solicited for a donation before.

10 Likes

we have a place to discuss this because Joe is smart enough to distance himself from discussions like this, and as a moderator here I am sure you are fully aware that if too much discussion is censored or squashed that people will start to jump ship, like many active members have done recently.

7 Likes

Nothing is cheap these days. I’m sure the costs are a lot more than 90% of people realize.
When I donated, I did it freely. I didn’t feel like I was being ‘charged’ to be here. Like I said, shits expensive. Members here are using this website for free. So I saw nothing wrong with giving back alittle. If I didn’t think it was worth my time I woulda said no, but thanks for offering.

5 Likes

your clicks are attracting sponsors who pay him to advertise here, so you are the product, as we all are.

4 Likes

Out of likes but I respect that. I did a server auction because I managed to earn much more for the site than I can afford to take out of my pocket. Instead I made an initial investment of funds and invested my time. I don’t regret it nor do I regret the one I have coming in Sept. Nobody has to bid on the lots or join in the fun if they don’t feel like contributing. I feel the place and people are worth my effort. I also contribute in other ways with a grow log, seed run, etc.

8 Likes

The number one reason donors said they don’t give is because they don’t trust the sector. Choosing the right path could help change that perception. Let’s take back the trust that good organizations deserve by brushing up on the top ethical dilemmas facing the sector.

1. Tainted Money
    A nonprofit can’t turn away money, right? After all, any gift helps you get one step closer to your mission. It’s a difficult situation when somebody is trying to offer money that may have a conflict of interest.

For example, you wouldn’t accept money that has been stolen or acquired from selling drugs. You also wouldn’t accept money if it were coming from somebody who goes against everything your mission stands for. Always consider where the money is coming from and whether there would be a conflict because of your mission.

1. Compensation
    Never, and we mean never, connect the amount of funds raised to compensation. The motivation for fundraisers should be to help further the mission, not to make more money.

2. Privacy
    Only keep the information that is necessary for your donors. Never get more than you need or use it for anything other than what you told donors you’d use it for. Be especially mindful of lists that you collect for email marketing pieces and more.

3. Appearance of Impropriety
    Sure, it’s not illegal; but that doesn’t make it right. There are various activities you’ll need to be aware of that could come across to your constituents as shady even if they aren’t considered illegal. For example, AFP lists the example of a fundraiser directly benefiting from a benefactor’s estate gift. While not illegal, the sector would look down upon the behavior. Be wary of certain situations that might be perceived in the wrong way.

4. Stewardship
    Donors want to know that you’re using the funds for what you said you’d use them for. Don’t promise donors one thing and then turn around and use the funds for something else. If you must change the usage of your funds, check with the donor first and abide by their wishes. They’ll appreciate the honesty and be more likely to continue giving.

5. Honesty
    Remember what you learned as a kid—honesty involves telling the whole truth. That means leaving out specific details will inevitably blow up in your face (we’ve all been there). Tell the whole truth to your staff, donors and constituents, and nothing but the truth. Honesty goes a long way.

6. Conflicts of Interest
    A conflict of interest could arise from multiple aspects of your organization; it could involve financials or the interests of members on your board. Be aware of situations where somebody has more at stake than the best intentions of the organization.

Remember, ethics require always listening to your moral compass; not just when it’s convenient for your organization. Not all ethical dilemmas will be apparent and some will be harder than ever. If you have an ethical dilemma you aren’t sure how to handle, seek outside guidance from somebody who can give an unbiased opinion. Also, check out the Code of Ethical Standards from AFP.

It truly does feel like they are attempting the best of both worlds here, running a for profit business while still soliciting donations and not having any transparency. @LemonadeJoe can you please weigh in on this?

The more I think on this the shadier it seems. This is how OG will get shut down, avoiding the tax man by soliciting donations and running a for profit business.

14 Likes

Pretty bold statement, no offense.

2 Likes

https://community.mybb.com/thread-211503.html

https://www.seoclerk.com/faq/22276/Is-it-hard-and-expensive-to-start-a-forum

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2698493

4 Likes