How to organize an auction on Overgrow?

Here is quick inspiration how can auctions be done in the format of forum topic. Successful example how they can be organized is bitcointalk:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2273825.0

In that topic you’ll find auction for advertising “slots”. Just replace slot by seed pack for our purposes and BTC by USD:

Post your bids in this thread. Prices must be stated in BTC per slot. You must state the maximum number of slots you want. When the auction ends, the highest bidders will have their slots filled until all nine slots are filled.

So if someone bids for 9 slots @ 5 BTC and this is the highest bid, then he’ll get all 9 slots. If the two highest bids are 9 slots @ 4 BTC and 1 slot @ 5 BTC, then the first person will get 8 slots and the second person will get 1 slot.
The notation “2 @ 5” means 2 slots for 5 BTC each. Not 2 slots for 5 BTC total.

• When you post a bid, the bids in your previous posts are considered to be automatically canceled. You can put multiple bids in one post, however.
  • All bid prices must be evenly divisible by 0.02.
  • The bidding starts at 0.1.
  • I will end the auction at an arbitrary time. Unless I say otherwise, I typically try to end auctions within a few days of 10 days from the time of this post, but unexpected circumstances may sometimes force me to end the auction anytime between 4 and 22 days from the start. I have a small bias toward ending auctions on Fridays, Sundays, and Mondays.
  • If two people bid at the same price, the person who bid first will have his slots filled first.
  • Bids are considered invalid and will be ignored if they do not specify both a price and a max quantity, or if they could not possibly win any slots

For our goal it could be easily adjusted and example offer for the auction would be:

Mr.Nice - G13 Haze: 1 pack @ $15
Hazeman Seeds - '88 G-13 / Hash Plant: 2 packs @ $25

Some basic rules for the auction should be stated by the seller in original post and should include:

• Starting bid amount
  • Minimal bid increment
  • End of auction (for creating event in multiple timezones use time zone converter)
  • Specify items to sell
    • Separate packs auctioned one-by-one or
    • Whole package of multiple seed packs to sell as one item.
12 Likes

i think creating a separate thread for each strain would be easiest, then can run multiple auctions without being too hard to follow, but maybe that’s too much

5 Likes

I just dont seem to get it: how can i start an Auction?
Do i have to go to that Site to start one, i cant find the Place to set one up there: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2273825.0

I also wanna know if i can accept only paying by Cash. haha, i know… I still live in 1970.

Thanx thousand Times

2 Likes

There is no automated way to start auction.

You need to describe auction terms and items auctioned in first post. Look up under #auction tag, there is some inspiration. It works pretty fine if you use some of those existing auction topics as a template.

3 Likes

I didn’t know auctions other than for the site were allowed

3 Likes

Auction is not any different from other means of sale e.g. for fixed price. Just a method to find the right price.

The difference is in scale: personal sale (often limited quantity or used goods) versus commercial (business) sale. You need to be sponsor to offer commercial goods.

4 Likes

TURORIAL on how to set up an Auction (alternative Method)

1: Press this Tab: #auction
2: Go to one of the Auctions that alread hapend , per Eample this:

3: Scroll down till you see the Terms, and mark everything including the Terms with your Mouse,so it appears highlighted blue

4: Press at once CTRL plus C Keys. So it copyes the Text
5: Press this Tab : #auction , then click on “New Topic” to create a new Auction
6: Press at once CTRL plus V . So it Paste`s the Text wich you then can use as Exampletext
7: Exchange all Data with Yours, set up an Endingdate aswell (remember LemonadeJoe has nearly no Time to close Auction at Saturday, Sunday or Monday) and create the Auction, and GO!

8: LemonadeJoe will soon reply and from Time to Time he will update who was the Highest Bidder. His reply looks like this:

9: Someone will update the highest Bidders by clicking the Edit Tab, but dont forget the Rules stated in first Post in this Thread!

What i dont get: WHO WILL update the highest bidders in LemonadeJoe`s Post? everyone, or the Auctionator or LemonadeJoe?
If others allowed click that Editbutton in previos Pic.

Voila

1 Like

Usually OP should update highest bidders in his first post or at least verify all changes done by others in the table. If they are regular member they can make first post a wiki. Or they can ask any Leader to make it wiki for them. Wikified post with table of bidders can be updated by anyone.

I’m personally involved only in auctions to raise funds to support Overgrow. Sellers need to organise their auctions themselves.

3 Likes

AAh, making it “wiki” means it will be editable! Oh now i understand that too.

So, if an Auctionator want to take the Earnings fully himselve, then he has to make the HighestbiddersList himselve, but he has still to inform LemonadeJoe about the Auction, so Joe can Close the Auction, right?

And if an Auctionator wants to support Overgrow with a part of the Earnings Lemonadejoe will make update Lists too, right?

But to everyone please dont forget to help Overgrow, this is an insane nice Forum , and we all need Money. Well i live nearly on Street im saving up for a Lightdeprivation thingy, thats why… Eliminating the Expences that all the Restrictions have generated for a Landracelover… Peace

3 Likes

You don’t need to inform me that you are about to open an auction. You can also close it at your discretion by editing first post or closing whole topic.

2 Likes