Example of the FIM technique

Thats pretty sweet! Thx

2 Likes

You can carefully spread the little leaves apart before cutting if you don’t want them to grow out half size and looking funky but it doesn’t hurt if you don’t.

I just pinch them off with my thumbnail and get 8 out of ten so it’s not hard to do. If you cut too low then you have a normal topping so no big deal. cut too high and you just get those funky looking leaves and no extra tops.

Good luck!

:peace:

10 Likes

Your internode spacing has got to be almost non-existent to get more than 4 tops. That diagram I posted shows what is really going on and how the nodes are so close it looks like they are on the same level when they grow out but they really aren’t. Works like the same level tho.

2 Likes

It has more to do with your cut placement. At the new growth node site there is no internode spacing. The plant will try to survive and continue to grow, and if you leave enough material it will!

2 Likes

This would be a more accurate representation.

3 Likes

Same as the one I just posted above but chopped off. Grab that one of mine.

I got shitloads of all these kinds of diagrams etc. Been collecting them for ages. lol

2 Likes

What? No it’s a screenshot of yours but I edited it to add multiple levels of where you could cut to produce different outcomes when FIM’ing. Zoom in to the pic where it shows the FIM cutting site. :facepunch:t3::100:

1 Like

I didn’t see those but I don’t believe it will make any difference to the outcome. It certainly won’t produce more tops than what there are nodes directly under the tip.

There’s really only one place to make the cut and that’s the right place. those lines of yours might show a range of where it should work but it’ll be the same thing if it works right.

I’ve only done 500 or so FIMs in the last 20 years so maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

1 Like

So basically your argument is it’s impossible to get more than 4 tops. Am I hearing you correctly? Since you, personally, have never been able to accomplish this… you’re saying it’s impossible.

While I appreciate your input that’s simply an argument from personal incredulity. Much love dude. :facepunch:t3::100::heart:

That’s not what I’m saying at all.

If you look right under the cut spot there are 4 little yellow dots labelled New Branch Points. These are the nodes that will grow out to become those 4 tops. If you make the cut in the right area those ‘nodes’ become the 4 new grow tips.

With some really compact indicas it would be possible to have 6 or 8 of those very close together like that that would all start growing out at once tho the bottom pair wouldn’t grow quite as fast as the top pair but might be close enough to not make much difference.

This is how it really works.

Believe what you want but don’t be quoting stuff I never said.

Here is a pic of the one I FIM’d a little higher on the node. As you can see there are 6 tops forming on this plant. Much love and thanks for looking!

7 Likes

Here is a better pic.

4 Likes

Here we have an example of one that I cut two low and one I cut right on the money!

Example one shows where I went to low and only produced 4 tops.

Example two shows 6 tops forming and if you look real close a possible 7th is trying its best to pop up!

6 Likes

I’m going to try this on my next plants. I need to learn to grow lower due to canopy height restrictions.

3 Likes

Lookin good @piccolo :v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Give it a shot it will definitely help with your canopy control :100::facepunch:t3:

And thanks!!

4 Likes

Yea you should get + 5 tops - as the fim’d top bud on your plant grows back and you can still have a main cola if you let the top heal …!
I also FIM with my fingernails too , like someone else above said … :point_up:
It’s easier than most people think - give it a go if you don’t want to top your plants …!
Good thread :thread: - don’t be afraid to mess with your plants ( by training.etc.) they’re tough as fk.

7 Likes

You have inspired me @piccolo!!

I tried FIM years ago and had poor success, I just clipped my tallest (4th node) letss see how that goes.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Much love dude!!! :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Hell yeah I love to hear that! Good luck and lmk if you have any questions. :100::facepunch:t3::heart:

2 Likes