Example of the FIM technique

You can do the same thing with branch tops too. Top a branch and it puts out lots of side branches that are great for cuttings off a mom. Or to spread things out quicker with a ScroG,

Top everything and grow your plants like ball rather than a Xmas tree. Great for outdoors.

Bend them, shape them, any way you want them! Long as you love them it’s alright!

PS: If that sounds like an old song it is. I stole the crap out of it! lol

:peace:

5 Likes

Here is a few pics of them growing out after being FIM’d. Much love!!

16 Likes

Looks like a nice round bush.
Great Fim technique .

2 Likes

Would this be considered a good fimming? And is it ever too early for my plant as this is my first fimming.

6 Likes

afaik, you can’t really tell if it took until you see some new growth, but I am only planning still. Haven’t executed it myself yet.

1 Like

I usually try to FIM for my first cut. If it turns out to only be a topping, that’s fine too. I get most of my tops by tying down and tweaking.

Lots of ways to get to the same result.

2 Likes

It looks like you made the cut a little high. If that’s the case you will get 4-6 tops but you will also get the main shoot still going straight up. If you end up seeing that just cut that one off and you’ll stop the main vertical growth. :facepunch:t3::100:

8 Likes

Nice!!!I thought I did it too high as I Referred to pictures you provided above but will totally cut the vertical stem if grown!
thanks!!!

3 Likes

Hi piccolo, thanks for sharing your knwoledge, i’m a ‘new entry’ of your community, and looks like you guys are very active ! I would like to ask you, if you don’t mind, when is the right moment to start fimming, i mean, after how many weeks is possible to start this technique and till is it allow to do it without create problems to the plant ? Thanks !

5 Likes

Welcome aboard! Lots of knowledge in this place. Stick around!
I would fim the same time I’d normally top. Usually around the 4-5th node. But that depends on how big you plan to grow your plants and your training technique. But at 5th node you’ll get several branches that have time to catch up in growth.

4 Likes

Thanks seemonkey, i’ll try it as soon as it possible.

2 Likes

Welcome! Seamonkey is correct, typically you want to top/FIM around the 4th to 5th Node.

6 Likes

I have a question about timing. I understand we’re at the 4 th or 5 th node. What week of growth are we talking here and what’s the recovery time ? Specifically if your running a 60 day cycle using clones, how much veg time after fimming/ before flowering?

4 Likes

If it’s a healthy clone that’s rooted, you can FIM whenever you want. Ide say the third or 4th node is fine, but honestly you can do it anywhere on a mature rooted clone.

Regarding veg time after topping/FIM I usually give them a week minimum but they like two weeks even more. As long as the plant has new shoots forming and isn’t in shock you are good to go.

4 Likes

I have a theory that FIMing doesn’t really stress the plant out. It just appears to slow down because it’s splitting its energy into 5 tops instead of concentrating on just one.

But I’d give it a few weeks so it can start to branch out. Unless you’re doing a SOG in which case you probably don’t want to FIM in the first place.

All the best.

5 Likes

I’m inspired for my next grow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: right now i’m flowering so i missed the boat for this one.

Sounds and looks very interesting. Thanks OP

2 Likes

I prefer to carefully fold the top leaves out of the way then snip out the bit that needs cutting with my thumbnail. Works most of the time.

:peace:

6 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks man glad,helpful

2 Likes