Exploring Cannabis Grafting in a Whole New Light

@jesuswearsflares thank you, so its East Malling its called its no surprise i couldn’t find it :slight_smile:

That’s the place I seen on TV, it wasn’t about gardening but they visited the farm and briefly mentioned a bit about the root pits and the root stock they grow/develop for the commercial market.

1 Like

Sorry, got my compass bearings wrong which is silly as my auntie used to live down the road from it. Theres quite a few videos showing their study development of rootstocks. It really was ground breaking work.

1 Like

This might work out its just a case of getting it right, I suspected I’ve drilled into dead wood,
If I could do it again I’d drill down the inside of the bark.

It might take, if it did it would be a novel way for making multi pheno mother’s.

7 Likes

I dont think it will work, the xylem and phloem not efficient enough to be unable to transport in the middle the grafts should be between the periderm and the secondary phloem. Not seen anyone graft using the pith wood and secondary xylem system but I hope it works and Im proven wrong.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity would you have made a slot to the outer edge of the root stock between the outer layer and the inner stock to merry it better, while cutting the donor cutting at a narrow angle and wrap it to hold tight and cover? ( sorry I don’t know the proper terminology for this)

2 Likes

Hey bud, I know what you’re asking, yes I would have cut it at an extended angle to marry it flush with the bark/cambium area.

@jesuswearsflares I done it in a spur of the moment, after thinking about it I sorta knew it wasn’t ideal.
That being the case I’m going to pull it out and try to re do it but drill down the side of the bark, or so theyre in contact with each other.
Thank you buddy.

3 Likes

THIS,… is exactly the type of stuff I wanted to explore. Or really, I had hoped others had already explored. When you research grafting online, you get many videos and guides for other plants. Tons of different techniques. I figured many won’t work for this type of plant but knowing the terminology and why things might work or not is awesome.

You seem to have knowledge to share about this. I would love to see photos or videos of various techniques in cannabis. Pretty much everyone does the same method for cannabis. Is that because it’s the only way, best way, or what?

4 Likes

My knowledge of grafting relates to fruit trees mainly but fruit trees and cannabis are both dicotyledons (when the seed sprout the seedling bears 2 leaves as opposed to a monocotlydon such as field grass which only bears 1 leaf).
There are a third group of plants which we needn’t be concerned with here. Pretty much all dicotyledons share the same physiology, in fact I’m fairly sure they all do.
Therefore the same grafting techniques apply to both plants.
The xylem and the phloem system of a plant is what transports sugars and fluids around the plant in essence,one taking material up the plant and one transporting down the plant (I think the xylem is the up and the phloem is down but I would need to check that to be sure).
It is essential for a graft to take for the rootstock xylem (x) and phloem ( p) to meet the x and p of the Scion wood ( the bit you are tying to marry with the rootstock). That’s why when we graft graft between the periderm (little bit inside the bark) and the secondary xylem, what stardog has done is using the primary xylem and the pith wood.
There is a very small chance it will take but to give much, much greater odds by using the method Ive explained here. Having written all this and just checking some plant cross section diagrams, the x and p do flow through the centre as well but convention and general wisdom dictate we graft as Ive explained.
I hope thats understandable. Here a nice link. Grafting Techniques

5 Likes

The way you did it would work if both the rootstock and the scion wood were the same diameter. When the rootstock has a larger dimeter stem than the scion wood it best to do it as you have corrected.
It good to see people using these techniques with cannabis and would be interesting to do some academic research to really push the boundaries of cannabis grafting. It has so much unexplored potential Im surprised some of these big legal canna farms are not investigating and putting research paper out on this.
As always its the homegrowers leading the big boys by the hand.

2 Likes

Just a thought if you’re running a donar root stock whereby you continually graft cuttings to it while running near flowering cycle 12/12 to 14/10 variant dependant. Could you in turn run a perpetual crop light depping to trigger flowering on certain branches? It’s just a thought an I know there is a lot that could go sideways in the process but hypothetically?

3 Likes

That is an interesting one. Made my noggin hurt think about that one. Truth is I don’t know but it would depend I suspect if the rootstock carrys a memory, or information as to if it’s in flower or not.
I think that graft that Star dog has just done if it takes will give us that answer as the Scion wood is in flower and the rootstock looks like it’s also from a flowered plant.
Therefore if there is any hormonal or chemical messaging between Scion and rootstock indicating flowering has occurred once the graft had married well I would expect failure.
Having said and thought that, most flowered cannabis rootstocks look perfectly viable for grafting, the roots don’t exhibit senescence (old age) like the Scion does.
Therefore I would say it’s theoretically very possible. What a very clever idea and one well worth proving either way.

3 Likes

I re done it but not as I’d liked, ideally I need a fresh one, let’s see what happens?

4 Likes

Update…
The graft that’s been put down the back of the bark isn’t looking great, its not written off though.

The one that’s been fitted into the stem is still standing proud.

I’ve just realised the picture isn’t much use, I’ll pull the bag off tomorrow and snap a few pics.

FYI I’ve not been misting it and ideally I should be.

There’s buds on one graft so i need to consider mould!

4 Likes

I never tried it, but a pal of mine told me how he had grafted some cannabis to a full grown hop plant with an established root system and the result was astonishing.

I wonder how this might work if you took some slow vegging plant like a Bubba Kush and grafted her to the root stalk of some well established super vigorous sativa?

3 Likes