Frankengraft experiment

I want to graft branches from my three females (a sibling with very different pheno and two unrelated strains) onto the low branches of my big strong male.
I plan to move the male across town to another outdoor spot in a day or two before its pollen sacks become threatening.

Questions:
I plan to graft before the move to avoid having to transport the cut branches.
Any recommendations for best practices/tools/supplies etc.

My first grow. Hoping this can be done with razors and duct tape.

5 Likes

You should be able to find grafting wax for the same price as the duck tape. It’d drastically increase your chances of success.

4 Likes

Why not just leave the male and forget about grafting. Just check on the male periodically and then take the pollen back to your female plants after and paint it on.

4 Likes

Like this?

4 Likes

That wouldn’t be nearly as educational. Also, for my first forey I don’t want boy powder anywhere near my sweeties.

3 Likes

Oooooooh. Haven’t used it so I’m not vouching for its efficacy, but yeah, exactly that.

2 Likes

Is there an optimal location vis node, internode? Do I want to trim back parallel root stock?

2 Likes

Hahahahhaha fair enough.

2 Likes

They made the slice look so easy!

2 Likes

All of the grafts up through last week failed. A couple of innovations later I may be making progress. Grafts from Saturday are still viable.

• I have replaced the polyethylene rings with tape.
  • I put a wet Earth Plug over the shaped root stock while I shape the scion.
  • tape pipe cleaner to tent to preserve upward inclination.

Note prepped parafilm. Don’t want to be fiddling with that while the cut ends dry out.

6 Likes

First moisture tent came off today. Dora on Cora.

11 Likes

Nice…looks like it took then?

4 Likes

Yes! A couple have. In the future I will trim the leaves the way I do for clones. Less work for the stressed scion. I left the tents (taped bags) on for five days. So curious to see what the graft’s buds will look like.

5 Likes

That’s badass. I guess they should turn out more or less the same as their parent, unless the rootstock of the plant they’re grafted onto supplies nutrients way differently or something, but who knows lol. This will be cool to watch!

4 Likes

They will. I have never seen a live cannabis flower. I am excited!

6 Likes

You’ve never budded a plant before and you’re already grafting? Diving right in there!

6 Likes

Failure to thrive. Looks like the root stock had the issue. Yellow back to the previous node. Two successful grafts out of six. Both Nora’s wilted.

6 Likes

2 for 6 is still pretty damn good!

4 Likes

Do you think a more rigid branch would work better. The grafts I have seen are on trees where they interlock and form an air tight seal on the joint. If air is getting in I think the parent stem will seal itself and die back to the next node.

5 Likes

This parafilm is what people use in lab settings to seal edges of Petri dishes and test tubes isn’t it ? I was thinking grafting wax is something totally different I use this stuff when propagating my mushrooms on agar plates for the lid seal.

5 Likes