Hidea: Grafting cuts onto already established plant?

So I just had a crazy idea that sprouted while I was thinking about plant count limits; what if you took an older plant and stripped it of most of its vegetation, while grafting cuts of different strains onto it and then revegging for a short period for the grafts to take(?) thus cutting down on veg time?

So in theory you could keep your “immature plants” as mothers and just take cuts to flower out, while you could keep much larger plants in flower without all the veg time.

10 Likes

I say try it! :+1:
I’ve never gotten one to ‘take’, the few times I’ve tried a graft. But I know it’s doable with proper technique.

6 Likes

I’ve never find a trick to succeed a graft of a young clone onto a woody basis. But i understand the concept, and in choosing well the genetic (for the reveg factor of the equation) it’s theoretically possible.

Now i’m not sure about the real gain of time of the equation ^^ Reveg’ + restart of the craft = mean a bunch of weeks

4 Likes

Not much gained in time but u can have multiple strains on one plant. I see where he’s going with this. Now u have one plant with multi strains that u can then take cuts from to flower.

I asked the Google God’s and they provided.

3 Likes

OK perhaps it wouldn’t work to cut down any veg time, but it would also allow you to veg more strains than plants that are allowed.

5 Likes

Just saw this guy on youTube

Interesting concept and tell how and where you want to make cuts…
Might work if you pay attention to what you’re doing and not try to
narrate it for youTube land and fumble one handed to success…

2 Likes

I’ve seen several grafted plants, it’s very possible to make a “multi strain” mom.
If you are unable to keep multiple moms, due to limits on plants.
It’s not an easy task grafting cannabis, but it’s just like grafting apples or willow.

I would stay away from reveg, and only do this with healthy plants showing good growth, in a 18-20 hour light cycle!
Expect a very high fail rate, so I would attempt to make as many as possible.
Again this might be an issue, if your limited with plant numbers.

I could imagine there would be a market for these kinda moms, if someone with a nursery who don’t need to worry about plant count produced them.

2 Likes

OK so it’s mostly a pipe dream haha.

Though I suppose if you had the time to veg and could grow outdoor, you could get a bountiful harvest off one plant.

now to find the elusive perennial and start grafting

1 Like

Why not re-veg 1st what ever you want to keep ( assuming you have a mother plant ) and when new shoots come out take your cut then, & the ‘new’ shoot should be easier to graft onto keeper/mother plant/s … and if you want, you can re-veg every plant you wanna keep, choose your keeper and take and graft the ‘new shoots’ .& it should be an easier process .!?
Iv NOT did it myself but if i had to, then that’s the way I’d do it ( jmo )… it’ll take a long’ish time but worth it if you’re legal and wanna kp multi strains AND your numbers down…

Gaz

1 Like

The whole process is much like cloning, you want young flexible growth tips,
and instead of waiting for roots you are trying to plug it back into the same
plumbing nutrient system it’s used to and grows into that medium.

Am thinking of trying it on this run… got 4 females of same strain
3 got to flower and 1 remains a mom holding it and the other 3 grafted on
and clone of fourth run in next cycle.

Gotta take clones anyways (and still will) but what’s one more special cut…

3 Likes

There’s a few nice threads about grafting on CW , here’s one…
https://cannabisworld.com/index.php?topic=3512.0
DS

1 Like

Here’s one that would be interesting take those mother cuts and graft it onto your favorite male plant and potentially make different seed crosses all in one plant sounds like an interesting concept!

3 Likes

It would be good to have one mother plant hosting all the strains you need, considering the law being 4 plants, per house? Per adult? Lol does anyone know, #cantbestopped