Ez cloner for taking cuts

Save ur money and make ur own…

3 Likes

Anyway you could post a photo of one of these that you have made? I’m trying to picture it in my mind to try building but it’s not coming all the way together for me! Much appreciated

1 Like

Here is a instructional video.

4 Likes

I second the root riots,
I take small clones, around 3" with 2-3 nodes above the root plug.
I use clonex gel
And then i sit them in an ice cube tray inside a clear plastic shoebox
They are in the veg space really low so they get a bit of reflected light. 18/6 light schedual.

Im at about 25% failure but its enough for me​:+1::christmas_tree:

Ive used an aerogarden base but it keeps everything too wet.
Good luck

2 Likes

I’ve tried using a heat mat and I’ve tried not using a heat mat and I find the results are pretty close to the same. I keep my spider farmer turned down to the lowest setting and about 16 inches away from my clones or seedlings. I don’t believe that’s too much light because it doesn’t seem to stress the plants out at all.

1 Like

I’ve got a small one and I’m not happy with it. Now their customer service OTOH is quite good but their choice of pumps are the issue.

What I found was the pump adds significant heat to the water (H2O = +80F, amb = 72F) so you are constantly fighting “the creeping crud” in the reservoir. I converted it to ‘airstone only’ and that helped, somewhat.

I will try running the original setup in the basement (amb = 66~68F)
to see if that will pull down the reservoir to more acceptable temps. but I’m not getting my hopes up…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

as simple was your request i did te best i could to get decent photos

any questions feel free to ask ill do my best to help out

4 Likes

When I ran an aero cloner I found a couple drops of plain bleach per gallon of water would keep the root slime away. It’s just easier for me to use root riot plugs and Hormex#8 than the cloner so that’s what I’ve stuck with.

5 Likes

for me the ease of set and forget with cloner is not beatable

2 Likes

i have a 20 site and 60 site ezcloner sitting in a closet for 5 years .

I use rapid rooters , hormex 8 , and a Mondo dome , usually get 100 percent rate, AND NO NOSIE :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I’ll second this. My aerocloner and bubble cloner are both just sitting there.

I’d say I get 90%+ success with riot plugs on a tray under a humidity dome. I can’t help but check my cuts often anyway, so it’s easy to keep them near the right moisture. The other cloners aren’t as easy to check roots on either. Have to lift the lid and peek under there without jostling them all around. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Here’s my favorite cheap DIY aero cloner I’ve come across, made by fellow OG member @Purple-N-Hairy

I like that it’s so cheap and easy to build, and that you can just throw away the manifold (tube) and replace it once it gets too old or icky.

In my experience, aero cloners work great until they start getting older and/or you get pathogen issues. Then once that happens cuts stopped rooting or take forever. Usually, changing out the pump and manifold took care of the issues, mostly.

I recently came across this cleaning procotol. We’ll see how it works long term…

I actually moved away from aero cloners after getting sick of fighting pathogen issues. I have 3 old cloners just collecting dust. They had issues with the “slime” (which afaik is a Cyanobacteria) and everything stopped rooting no matter how I disinfected.

Then I recently bought a ez-cloner from a buddy who only used it a handful of times and I’ve been trying that out again. But it’s giving me issues already (with some type of pathogen I think. A big reason I usually never buy used hydro equipment… lol). So I have my important clones rooting in plugs under a dome (which always works for me).

I’m going to try removing the back plate of the pump like recommended on that link above, and do a full disinfection of every little nook & cranny. We’ll see what happens.

5 Likes

Sounds like the ez type of cloners work for some people but not for others. I’ve also heard you don’t want your water to get too warm or it will cause bacteria. Maybe I’ll try riot rooters and a dome to see how that works

I used to swear by aero cloners. I had near 100% success rate for years. I wasn’t trying to scare you away from them. I’d just start with a cheaper one than the ez clone. If you want to try a clone machine my recommendation would be to make that simple bucket aero cloner I linked. Super cheap and easy to make. It’ll let you see if aero cloners are for you with a much smaller investment.

The “clone king” cloners are also a good cheaper clone machine. I’ve owned a few of their 36’s. They have a newer model out now. It’s better than the one they have pictured on their website (harrigan’s hydro) that has a nice molded plastic top.

I also think it’s a very good idea to perfect the art of cloning in trays too. It’s good knowledge to have.

This is a good tutorial on cloning in trays:

5 Likes

dont need an ezcloner , good hormone and good plugs under a dome works just fine
i Personally don’t like the root riots but I love the rapid routers

4 Likes

See where my cloner is ?In the corner Collecting dust.I had hell with that thing temperature controlled every cloner mix you could think of Sterilized whole nine yards clones never came out right That slimy stem shit was a deal breaker.Dealing with the bucket slime was a pain.Was more of a hassle to me.Went to soaking cuts for Two days in tap water changed out each day and a good vent controlled Dome and a consistent warm heat mat i cant stress the even consistent heat temps and an accurate heat probe enough.My medium is grodan blocks soaked in PH at 5.5 clean no chlorine water with 9ml Clonex seedling and clone solution for 24 hour then clones pulled from water stems recut and scuffed up with a plastic picnic fork and dipped in Hormex#8 i swear by it and popped in Blocks and into Small black tray then into the dome have block’s seperated from the floor of dome and make sure to dump some water around the floor of the dome to het the humidity up.No pilot holes pop it right in.Pilot holes leave air pockets around stem no bueno homie make it as tight as you can.5 days dont touch it,Day 6 pop it open for 20 min,Tip over lid and dump water acumulation on to dome floor lid her back up and crack open vents a touch.every day open the vents a little more day 8 pop the top for an hour leave a little water but not a lot lid her back up day 9 check blocks roots will be popping out get solo cups ready for transplant.Success rate around 100%

5 Likes

They are easy to make. I also suggest just building one to fit your needs and space.

5 Likes

i have an ez cloner. it works pretty well. however, i can clone with just a cut and some coco/peat in a solo. nothing else. i have this one strain that doesn’t like the cloner and it takes a long time to get roots. other than that one, i get like 95 plus success on clones in the cloner. the simple cut and plant work too, but it’s a little lower success rate. i wish i grew bud as well as I can clone.

2 Likes

Excellent success rate and 0 watts.

3 Likes

Blockquote

Thanks

1 Like