Breeding exclusivly with reversed plants

it seems like the weak link in breeding is male selection. i understand there are dramatically less seeds produced from a feminized seed run but are there other, less obvious downsides?

4 Likes

I’ve read that there are more recessives introduced… but I’m not clear on how that works.
Personally I think you could carry out a complete breeding program with 100% reversed seed.
At some point you will probably want to introduce a male to make regular seed but that’s not an issue if you saved some seed before beginning the selective breeding.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

i agree at some point i would probably have to make some regular seeds. the plan would be to work the feminized line to f2 or f3 to get a mostly IBL line. even better better a few distinct lines going. from there cross that feminized IBL line back to a similar regular IBL line. then backcross that regular version with the f2 or f3 beans of each line.

really i just want to nail a couple of stable variations of the strains i most commonly work with. i cant convince myself i really need “regular” seeds if i only need a few seeds in general

8 Likes

I agree. In fact, I would go as far as to say males are useless in a cannabis breeding program because we only cultivate the females.

If you plan properly, there is no reason to get less seeds when feminized breeding.

This is true when selfing a plant, but not necessarily true with feminized breeding with two different parents.

To get to IBL, you may need to go to F7 or so. The F2 will be divergent and not stable, F3 is closer but still not there IME.

33 Likes

Ain’t into “horn blowing”, but…Y’ALL BETTER LISTEN!!! When “Ole Sage” @ReikoX extends a free Seminar, take notes. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Most of the negative rumors about fems or reversals come from folks who’ve never tried em or past and present breeders who don’t use the techniques correctly.
There is something special about a good male but You’re on the right track about not really needing them

11 Likes

I was just listening to the Chimera/Ryan Lee Potcast episode and he was saying that his current approach to working with types is to do an open pollination of the starting seeds, run as many OP seeds as he can and select for traits, then self from there

10 Likes

Do you guys mean s4, s5, s6 ect or using males and making f4, f5, f6 ect.

2 Likes

Something some guys may want to look up, because i think the info and results are documented. See what happened to mr skunkmans plant lines when he was taking them to s4, s5 an how the actual plants behaved.

2 Likes

No, I am talking about filial line breeding with females, so I am talking F1,F2,F3… in this case parent A is a different plant than parent B.

The S1, S2, S3… are selfing the plant. In this case parent A and parent B are the same plant.

In Sam’s case he was selfing the plant repeatedly. This does indeed cause a lot of deleterious genes to build up. Since cannabis is an obligate outcrosser, it has no way to deal with these deleterious genes and you get some crazy plants.

18 Likes

Excellent distinction sensei ReikoX!

4 Likes

May I Ask,if I wanted to preserve or stabilise a purple or Red Bud trait from a sweetseeds automatic strain I bought(fem),and making seeds out of It Just with colloidal silver,what are my options?
Edit:Will It Be Better to reverse One plant and cross It with a purple lemonade auto from fastbuds instead?
What are the best odds to get Purple locked in?Or Just to get the genes I want locked/stabilised?

Do not mean to ruin the thread,Just a question bugging me from days.

3 Likes

Bro coming in with the facts.

for autos, people generally just breed normal seeds. they grow fast enough and show sex early so its easy to cull them without taking too much space. if you really want fem auto seeds, use sts

you can. as soon as they show sex start spraying the mother with sts. apply every ~5 days for two weeks. i usually apply 3 or 4 times total. two weeks after you start spraying youll see little sacs forming. give her another 10 full weeks from that point to let her get pollinated and let the seeds fully form. do not smoke this plant as the sts is probably not good for your lungs. you need to give it alot of extra time than you think as it takes awhile to reverse the female, get the balls fully formed, pollinate, and let it fully mature.

2 Likes

You can cross it and reverse it at the same time. If you top the mother one time, you can STS one branch and leave alone. Then full the room with other females you want to cross to. Its the most basic way to achieve alot of beans with autos

4 Likes

Thank you so much both @LonelyOC @sardinebags .
But my concern is more leaning toward the genes trasmission reversing One plant, "selfing " or the other option Is crossings both purple strain.Which One do you think Is Better approach to get more chance of purple offsprings ?
Do you have any clue?

I also bought colloidal silver 50ppm,so I am Stuck with It at the Moment :frowning:

2 Likes

Crossing two purple plants wont give you 100% purple plants. Your best bet is to go to S3 with one purple plant and then back cross it. You will still get some green plants, but not nearly as many as crossing 2 purple plants. Hope it helps

1 Like

OH sry, you are working with autos. Then back crossing is out If the picture… Get 2 purple siblings and bring them to S3 and then cross those 2

3 Likes

It Is Just a domestic Little project for myself,yes I only used autos Fem seeds.So you mean
1:plant 1 seed,start spraying Cs hoping She shows purple later.
2If She does,collect seeds and sprout 3-4 seeds(S1),spraying Cs on 1 branch each plant,cross only 2 purple siblings.
3 Repeat again until S3.Right?
@LonelyOC

Careful listening to “Cannabis breeders.” Most of them can’t even make seed under led I’ve heard. Infertility shouldn’t be an issue when switching lights… Ryan Lee doesn’t even know xylem from phloem. Everything I’ve heard him say is just spewing shit that sounds nice to potheads.

4 Likes