Favorite Glass Piece

For those who aren’t familiar, kobuki and Paul stankard are famous for their glass flowers

Heres a kobuki, his are all made on a torch with borosilicate glass which is harder to work with and has a much higher melting temperature. You could whip this against a concrete wall and it probably won’t even scratch.

Here’s a Paul stankard piece, made with soda lime or ‘soft glass’. The detail on these is incredible I can’t imagine how long they must take. He would make all the individual pieces on a torch then weld them all together with a tiny torch. Once the inside is complete the whole thing gets vacuum sealed into the pure clear glass. If you don’t do it perfectly your weeks of work will melt and distort in seconds. Crazy shit!

16 Likes

Then we have the true OGs of glass flowers, the Blaschka family. They made their flowers as horticultural models for universities and stuff in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

They made their own glass and colors so we’re still unsure exactly how alot of these were made. Some of the parts are made with paper or painted as well, but the bulk is pure glass. I doubt there’s a glass artist alive today who could recreate these.

They’re some of the most beautiful objects ever made imo. I’ll stop rambling about glass flowers all high now lol :+1:

15 Likes

Those glass flowers are beautiful!!! Same with your Kobuki marble, some really nice gems you’ve got there my friend!

4 Likes

This is my favorite rig. Mav glass and mini nail :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart: In lime green, of course :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Nice! Solid setup :muscle::100:

2 Likes

Missed my bubbler, had to get a new one.

10 Likes

Nice sour haven’t seen one of those in a hot minute…not sure I’ve ever seen one that big or colored before

4 Likes

Is that a gameboy?!!

3 Likes

You know it! Guess what games in it lmao

4 Likes

Super Mario Bros

4 Likes

Spot on I was waiting for someone to notice it to tell you the truth. Haha although I’m going to be breaking out the Zelda cartridge.

3 Likes

Awesome!!! Something badass about a retro console.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Nintendo switch, but something about old school :space_invader::space_invader: pixels

3 Likes

Oh, and, :blue_heart: the color coordination :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I love the thing, I have not played poke man for a hot minute. But I feel a binge of blue red and gold coming soon haha,. We also have a nes we play, and cherish. The only new console we have is the new Xbox and a ps4. I’d like to get a switch just need more funds ha.

4 Likes

Omg! Have you seen the bong Pokémon? I wanna catch that one!

4 Likes

Haha no. Thats funny as hell. Bong pokemon…:laughing:

4 Likes

Here it is!

7 Likes

We have aglass blowerthat supplies our local smoke shops i have to get with them and design a new bong fer myself

5 Likes

download

go to on sale 65 dollars US 10 years ago

12 Likes

has anyone ever seen a heady bong that looks like milk glass?
here’s an example of the victorian / edwardian milk glass. Took a long time to find an example, but this captures it perfectly. Check out the cream colored panels in this stained glass windows. That’s milk glass.

See how it’s cream / tan with an opalescent surface (like rainbow fuming), but when the light shines through it, it’s gold and pink sunset colored.

The house I grew up in had windows made of solid sheets of that cream colored glass.

I’ve always wanted a bong like that.
are there any glassblowers who could make something like this?
would the custom bong cost more or less than this $1000 antique window?

@potdaddy4x4 what did you have in mind for your custom bong?

3 Likes