Old School Heady Glass Appreciation Thread

I’ve always had an appreciation for the old school style; fumed, wrapped and raked, fully worked glass pieces, but never wanted to drop the coin on them. I usually opted instead for random and cheaper stuff that I wouldn’t mind breaking, and I broke a lot of em. Recently I decided I was ready spend the money and get some dad-level pieces to smoke out of; now that I think I can keep ‘em clean and in one piece with some consistency. I went straight back to the old school style pieces and started following a ton of glass blower’s accounts on IG, and appreciation groups on FB. I’ve been really enjoying learning about this style of glass blowing, and the artists that do it, and thiught there might be some folks interested here in OG too. I figured I’d start something up to talk specifically about older style pieces: wrap and rake, fumed, crushed in millie’s, inside out dichro, all that crazy looking older style stuff. I figured I’d post some of the rad stuff I’m seeing from some of the accounts I’m following and see if anyone else here at OG is into the old school heady glass thing.

I’ll start it off with something out of my personal collection. I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t own anything that’s gonna blow anybody away. You’ll find no pre-op Chong Bongs or Snodgrass originals in my collection or anything else that would make a serious head raise an eyebrow. I’m a fanboy at best, but I buy what I like that I can afford. That being said here’s my JBD Keiki:

The most special thing that I saw about this one was the worked top. Most Keikis, as I understand, usually just get a simple wrapped top if they get anything at all, so this one was a bit of a find for that reason, it’s got some opal marbles on the base, I dig it cause it has the crazy top and a kinda simple bottom. I wish I could say this guy was my daily driver, but more often than not I reach for one of my two pixies, and leave the big boy for when I really want a good heavy rip or just want to chage things up. This little pixie is my constant companion:

Actually ripping that little guy right now as I type this. So here’s a few shots of some highlight reel stuff from just a few of the accounts I follow on IG and FB to get the vibe started:

I figure post your pieces, stuff you find, stuff you want, shout out other artists that w me should check out, or just shoot the shit on the topic. :heart::v:t2:

30 Likes

Love your bong and the pics of the others!

I’ve wanted to do this for awhile. I always liked using a double perc bubbler but would constantly break them so, would always purchase whatever the cheapest one available was but… now I’ve had this same el cheapo dual perc that’s too embarrassingly low quality to post here for 4 years… could it be time to make the plunge for something nicer? :thinking: am i getting old? :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Nice piece @LegsMahoney! I just got this fully worked JBD yesterday as you saw in my update.
Thought I’d post here as well.
Thanks for starting this, I’ll park right here.

I’m puffin this right now, not old school but I love it!

21 Likes

I’ve always loved the pieces that filled in we use to have a headshop in our town 6 mile bike ride … when I was like 14 (2007)we started making the travels to go buy smokes …ol lady ina was her name even tried to host her own Woodstock sang from the bell tower naked with a shot gun :sweat_smile:she always had gorgeous pieces but wanted $60-200 she had wild ones unicorns octopuses mice dogs sexy lady pipes wood pipes hoodies posters yadda yadda …she was wild don’t even get me started on the rolling paper selection she had I swear 40 different kinds bob marley ones I specifically rember and the maple syrup ones she probably had tons of grow shit I wouldn’t even recognize at that age …oh yeah she sold salvia …thank god we lived in the middle of nowhere riding a bike home OMG
as I got older I helped her with misc things she always had a dog that liked me said would always say she don’t like to many people but she like you

Sadly she passed away …I really do wonder where all her stuff went I think I’m just gonna stop there this spring

5 Likes

i dig those old school bongs. lately i’ve been looking for a decently sized “wig-wag” style sherlock, but settled for a small wigwag pipe. not oldschool but still pretty cool.

3 Likes

Thank you for the love @api312!!

@BeagleZ i did catch that post, that thing is absolutely gorgeous! and I dig that little Sherlock too! I’ve been eyeing that shape for a while, Vassily Crettol makes some with all his line work sections and Millie’s in that same shape) that i have dreams of adding to the collection. (realized I posted a photo of one in the OP :laughing:

@Rabeats2093 i miss the fuck outta the little headshop I grew up near, the smell of nag champs brings me right back there

@anonymous4289 id count that wigwag style into the discussion, I love that shit personally, follow a couple guys that specialize in it, really awesome stuff

6 Likes

also a big fan of ‘zong’ bongs, if they were in stock i’d pick one up:

8 Likes

One of my rigs from a couple years ago.

19 Likes

This one is a custom I had done by a guy who does headies, but this zong shaped fume is how his dad taught him to blow, so he still does them as well.

17 Likes

Oh man, I had a buddy with a zong back in the day. Dude lived in a condo complex and would only smoke in his bathroom because of the fan. Kept the zong right next to the shitter.I tried not to go there too often to smoke :joy::joy:

3 Likes

very cool. my first bong was a mini zong i won in a giveaway type thing years ago (420th person to click a button won the glass giveaway), maybe that’s why i’m fond of them. it ended up breaking while i was cleaning it.

3 Likes

I don’t think this quite counts as old school heady glass, but when it comes to nice glasswork I’ve been eyeing pieces by a guy named Steven Hoffman that does some really impeccable frit and inside out work, considering this guy here as my new daily driver, full starwhite inside out frit with periwinkle and royal blue lining:

10 Likes

i got my pipe from “brothers with glass”. they have some really cool glass, including zong bongs but i want the one from thickassglass due to its’ thickness/durability.
pretty sure this is the exact one i received, or close to it:
wigwagpipe

11 Likes

Yeah Brothers With Glass has some nice stuff

2 Likes

I got an old school rig I’ve had for a long time…

22 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard that spooon is heady for sure, getting Tron vibes from that thing, very cool

@anonymous4289 love the colors on that piece!

@Pawsfodocaws that thing is unreal!! I’ve only seen that tray style setup like a handful of times, can you enlighten us on the function and how you like it??

3 Likes

This was my concentrate plate set up in the 90s. That’s all we had back then works well with full melt as well. It’s a titanium plate… this was how we dabbed before rigs were a thing. I just cleaned her up and took a few globs from her, I’m straight blazed. Also threw in a bowl piece and finished it off with some kind bud, I’m actually headed back for the next round as we speak lol

5 Likes

It functions by swinging the arm up on the swing then heating it red hot and swinging it back down under the hood. You then place your dab on the plate and take the hit.

4 Likes

I totally remember these!

3 Likes

That’s pretty much what I was guessing to myself looking at it, that glass bowl must act like a dome to capture the smoke coming off the plate, that’s super fucking cool

3 Likes