First grow after a 40 yr break, 1 plant, DWC, LED 450W

Not yet…

3 Likes

Well… I just turned out the lights for her last siesta. I will harvest when I get home from work tonight.

7 Likes

The sugar leaves tend to turn amber way before the actual buds. You might be harvesting a bit early if you go by that!

2 Likes

About how much longer do you think?

2 Likes

How many days of 12/12 lighting are you at? kind of hard to tell from that picture.

Its an auto zKittlez, started flowering flowering at day 33, it is on day 82 now. Most online grows logs report around 75 days to harvest.

Been running 16/8 pretty much the entire grow.

2 Likes

Congratulations @MrWizard! You have a big and beautiful plant there!

Nothing wrong with a little “Sequential Harvest” sampling. Snip a prime bud, quick dry it, then have a taste and realize it’s only going to get better!
You Deserve A Break Today. :clap: :clap: :v: :green_heart:

Just my $0.02
-Grouchy

3 Likes

WOW! It feels soooo good to get sticky stinky fingers again. That sweet citrus pine smell wafting through the air and all over my sticky fingers………

I took her out of the tent last night when I took those photos above and inspected her good. It amazes me how much flower is underneath the canopy. When I move the top layer aside it is dense vegetation underneath and full of flower, probably a lot of popcorn and larf, but I will take it, first homegrown in 40 years – nothing will go to waste.

The whole plant is very dense, not much air space in it. It amazes me how large some of the flowers are that were clearly very shaded, as in cant even see them until you move the canopy colas out of the way, no way those things were getting much light yet they grew abundantly.

I realized I will get more of a harvest than I anticipated. No clue about yield yet, but I think I will get an oz or two for sure, which is a very happy realization as I thought I had really fumbled this grow bad. I lucked out.

Since I took those photos last night, the plant has had another 12 hours of high intensity light, and 8 hours of sleep, and I assume now have a little higher % amber than above. I am going to go ahead and chop her down when I get home.

How are most folks calculating yield?

What is the ballpark yield ratio of wet whole plant to dry-manicured? I know there are loads of variables, just look looking for a rough idea.

Barring better advice, I am going cut it at the crown of the stem then weigh the whole plant wet.

The plant is so dense I don’t dare hang it whole. I will buck it down to major branches and hang them in the tent.

Allow it to partially dry for about 5 days.
Then trim the semi-wet buds and rack them to finish drying.
Will set the tent for 60F and 40% humidity for 1st 24 hours.
Then will move to 50F and 60% for remainder of dry.
Will set up a timer and auto-burp lid for my jars, and dump a SmartPush sensor in each.

BTW, where is the appropriate place to post the next grow, seeds already sprouted.
Is “Diaries” the right place or should I go in “Hydroponics\DWC”??

3 Likes

Congrats bud. One or two issues don’t stop a train! :slightly_smiling_face: Can’t wait for a good smoke report. I always went by dry weight myself. I usually lost well over half the weight during dry/cure. I would keep my sugar leaves after trimming and popcorn nuggets for dry ice hash, or bubble hash. Keeping the plant whole will slow the drying process, I usually go by branch myself.
I think Indoor or diaries would be appropriate for the next great show! :green_heart:

1 Like

Gaawd I would be tickled if I had even a 25% dry yield. She weighed 690g!

And of course, a wee sample for the cause… Tomorrow when I am straight!

7 Likes

My sample wasnt ready for me today, so I hurried it along a little bit. I want to be straight when I smoke it.

Tent is running 60F @ 50% with a small fan 1 ft above and below product aimed at the ceiling and floor. Just a gentle airflow circulating.

Tent smells like hay, but this little baby bud that I wet trimmed yesterday smells dynamite!

I know this little pencil thin bud doesnt seem like much, especially when compared to the baseball bat buds we see around here, but it is a major milestone for me. - 1st homegrown in 40 years… Ahhhhhhhhh

8 Likes

Finally got the pencil bud to dry enough to smoke it. I definitely did not waste my time on this grow,

Speed dried it for 24 hours. Tasted some terps in a toke or two but overall it just tasted like hay, which is to be expected after only 24hrs, I got ripped though, I know its going to be good. It was every bit as good as the $200 - $400/oz stuff in the DC Initiative-71 shops. I am sure the taste will improve with a good cure. The high was a hybrid high, and kept me awake a bit. I imagine that more of the CBN will develop as it cures.

I think I will get a little over 3oz of flower from this one, plus trim extractables.

Keeping the tent as close to this as possible:

Although it is going to get warm today so I am sure the temp will rise, I will bump the humidity up just a tick during the heat of the day to help slow down the trajectory from the extra heat.

4 Likes

Congrats! 10 days or so I think the profile will be different. You’ve got a nice low temp for them to dry at so it’ll bring out those flavors more. I used a herb drier once and it did the trick but I lost a lot of flavors that way. The center is usually still damp and won’t burn right… I’ve taken tin foil and placed it on top of a lamp with the light on, placed herb on top of tin foil and shook it every few minutes until dry. 🤷😂 what ever works.

1 Like

If I had to guess, I’d say 130 to 140g of dry yield if dried and cured properly brother…
Then again, my calculations are from my studies and not from my own experience…
Keep us posted after the cure please…

1 Like

I chose to do a semi-wet trim. I hung the major branches in the tent at 60F with humidity at 50% the first day, then I bumped the humidity up 2% each day until I hit 60% and holding there.

After 5 days I did a a trim and put the buds in a hanging rack to finish drying. Trimming was a “figure it out as I go” proposition as I don’t remember trimming buds like this back in the day. It is going to take me some practice to develop the feel.

The buds were all airy and fluffy. I imagine they will shrink and become more dense as it dries. Even so, I dont think these will be dense like the buds I buy in the shop. Rather than trying to snip off individual leaves I just sort of shaped the bud “as a whole” by trimming leaf tips until the bud had a nice shape. Might be going at this wrong.

I am not sure of the difference between larf and popcorn buds. I got a lot of what I call larf, single small flowers not part of cluster. I saved the larf and the trim and stuck it in the freezer for later alchemy. I bought a nice dry tumbler to deal with it. Got 38g of dry trim and larf. Will be interesting to see how much kief that will yield, I figure maybe 4g?

The baggy is the leaf trim, the pile next to it is larf.
Is the bottom left row what they call popcorn?
Didnt bother weighing yet, so no clue about yield yet. Guessing 2-3 oz of bud and 4g of kief.

Trying to hold this for the remainder of the dry, will check them daily.

5 Likes

Looking good MrWiz,
Isn’t it grand to have home grown herb? I’m stoked to follow along, sort of a “secondary smoke” buzz. LoL.

I predict you’re going to have fun with those buds, popcorn, larf and Sugar trim! All part of the harvest celebration. Here are a few “First Harvest” suggestions to consider:

• Set aside at least 6 grams of SugarLeaf & popcorn and maybe one top cola to experiment with tincture.

• Set aside another handful of your choicest buds in a separate jar as an archive. I’d add a boveda 62% pack, but personal choice. You’ll be surprised at how much it changes in a few months jarred and curing.

• Get a dry herb vaporizer with variable temp control and smoke a bowl at the lowest setting then ramp it up in notches. That will give you a taste of all the terpenes in your bud. Regardless of the tastes it provides a reference point for when your next harvest comes in.

Oh, yeah… Start your next grow!
Welcome to our addiction: Growing!

3 Likes

This thread is far from over.
At a minimum expect a final yield report and a smoke report after the cure.

I will also document my kief alchemy experiments.

Still holding…

1 Like

LOL, gonna have to start over on this one.

I popped some seeds in an AeroGarden the day I chopped this plant. The seeds popped easy and have grown the first set of true leaves.

Only problem is I checked them out last night and the roots of all 6 plants have tangled together to the point they cant possibly be transplanted without tearing roots. Since these are auto seeds I am trying not to lose any unnecessary time/growth by avoiding making the plant “recover”. Tearing the roots wouldnt be a great start. I have decided to start over and soak some more seeds tonight. Scratch the AeroGarden for germination!

5 Likes

I am on day 10 of drying and I think they will be ready to jar today. Last night the stems were snapping nice but still left one fiber unbroken, they “almost” snapped clean…

During the 10 days I was able to maintain 60F +/- 2F and 58% humidity +/- 2% for all but 2 days. Had a warm spell and the garage got up to 70F on 2 days. The only option I have to cool the ambient space is a window AC unit in the garage and I chose not to use the electricity.

While I can smell terps there is still some lawnmower essence to the buds as well. I am hoping the cure will resolve that. I plan on doing jars and auto-burping them with an aquarium air pump and timer. I will put a SmartPush humidity sensor in 2 of the jars to monitor humidity swings. As the swings get smaller in amplitude I will reduce the frequency of the burps until it stabilizes at 63%. Then Bovieda pack and seal.

You can see the blue lines held pretty good except for when the weather got unseasonably warm.

Not saying this is the right way, but it seems to be working so far. Anyone see anything I am missing?

3 Likes

I would think once you jar them and a couple burps under there belt the your grass clipping smell will be replaced with the proper smells your looking for.

Better to be on the damp side vs over dry when you start the cure .

1 Like