First timer looking for lighting advice

Thing I like about these cheapo lights is they bring the temps
Up in the tents the plants like that,then I bought the new lights and couldn’t get the temps in the tent to go up plants stopped growing that’s no lie lol
Put the old lights back in noticed a difference week later,they have a buzzing noise from the little fans in them that don’t bother me they don’t have dimmers so it’s full on light …

The new ones I bought had dimmers :rofl:

1 Like

I haven’t put more than fifteen in there, that’s my medical limit. I can fit 20 in 3 gallon containers If I wanted. That’s what I run 3 gal pots. Soil.

2 Likes

Those 200’s look badass. I have a couple of the 135’s. Trying not to buy any of those 200’s because I have six qb96’s in boxes waiting to get assembled into a fixture. :grin:

1 Like

Hey this isn’t crazy and I’m actually very interested in this idea. My grow tent will be in the middle of my den so I’ve been thinking why not get a cabinet so it looks nice? Also something sturdy because we have cats and they will want to scratch/climb. What is holding me back is that I’m not particularly handy and the appeal of the grow tents is that are purpose-built with the right what are they struts? the bars to hang the lights. And also grow tents are built to protect against light leaks. So… I will probably get a grow tent but I’m very intrigued by a more furniture-y look!

Thanks @DougDawson. I’m so so so torn about tent size. Part of me wants to get a 2’x4’ which I consider a “safe bet” for a total noob but I’m also tempted to go 4’x4’ and give one of my kids space to grow microgreens. Talk me into the 4’x4’!!!

1 Like

Really leaning towards exactly this set-up. 4’x4’ with a full spectrum LED. Which do you recommend that might be pricier initially but gentler on the electricity bill?

Thanks! I was hoping this is such a common question that it would have a existing thread to hash it all out.

The joy of the 4x4 will be much added room. Some microgreens to boot, how can you go wrong. They also tend to be taller than a 2x4 and you will like the extra height. You can grow small trees in it, a ton of small plants or anything in between. It really just depends on your goal. An HLG 550 works wonders in that space. There are so many brands out there and it’s tough to say which is the best when so many will get you to your goal. I personally like between 550 and 600 watts of LED in my 4x4. You could go with one big fixture or up to 4 smaller ones so you could raise or lower them depending on what you are growing. What are you goals plant wise, how many are you looking to grow?

2 Likes

I’m about to upgrade from my “home made” light rig for my 3x3, and budget and heat are an issue. Going back and forth between ceramic metal halide and grow light science LEDs right now. I’m leaning towards the GLS grow 200, same price range, less heat, more environmentally friendly, and the flowers I’ve seen grown under them look amazing.

4 Likes

HLG would be my choice, an R-Spec 550 as Dirt_Wizard uses in a 4x4, you can use the dimmer for economy as needed.Six 5gal pots fit in a 4x4 so you’ll have enough room I think.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Main goal; grow organic no till cannabis for medicine. As I do not smoke, any harvest I manage to pull off will become a sublingual oil. (Learning to make the oil will be another learning curve.) That’s pretty much it! As for the number of plants… No idea. I think I will have to dive in and start playing to figure that out. One if my kids only eats vegan organic food, so I have a feeling any available space will be put to productive use.

Thanks again for talking me through this. I will finally say I have watched several videos made by Migro and just have a warm fuzzy about Shane’s business. Just a feelie that it would be good karma to support it with this relatively big ticket purchase.

Home made light rig? Hats off to you, sir!

Good stuff. And great point about the filters, yes absolutely. I had no idea that living plants were so fragrant. I have sat on the subway here in NYC next to guys who absolutely reeked of weed but not smoky weed, a “greener” weed kinda smell Now I know… probably just a uncontrolled grow room. Well, yeah, I don’t want my kids heading to school with that!

I’m fully with you on spend more upfront to mitigate the damage to the electricity bill.

1 Like

Everyone is recommending AC Infinity! Must be good.

2 Likes

Thanks I appreciate the details and the photo! Veeeeeery nice.

1 Like

SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

I stand behind these guys fully. I have had great success using them.

1 Like

Thank you and gorgeous plants! I legit laughed out loud at “…but if you don’t trust yourself for wiring something that CAN start a fire, like me…” I 100% would never in a zillion years trust myself to build something that could catch fire in my tiny NYC apartment (the building dates back to 1893 and has ancient everything behind the interior walls). Yeah I’m sold on the AC Infinity tents. EVERYBODY is recommending them!! Feels good to check one of the big boxes!

2 Likes

Thanks man. HLG seems to be the pro choice. Yeah not gonna try any DIY engineering…yet… :wink:

Proof is in the pudding, man. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

WOW That is a big grow footprint! Very cool.

1 Like