Float tech germination

i saw this as a germination fool proof methode and was wondering whats the germination time that one could consider seeds unviable using this methode?

3 Likes

A kind Oger shared with me this video, I think as long as they don’t sink they’re fine … beer3|nullxnull

7 Likes

its the video that got me curious about trying i droped 4 seeds in glass 3-4days ago and so far nothing

1 Like

See, I’ve always use the float test for viability rather than full germination. Viable seeds sink. I soak them for 24 hrs and any floaters get tossed. Maybe I let the floaters ride for a day or two next time, but sinkers get the towel.

1 Like

Most of the seeds from my last few runs didn’t sink and still germinated. I would not be throwing out seeds based on not sinking but hey, to each their own.

10 Likes

then how does the video germ floatable seeds im curious as to how you determine viability

2 Likes

Better to go Plan A… Floating as best scenario
If they sink, well there is Plan B. And we have all perfected that method.
@LedZeppelin just lets them sit if they sink / My first 2 floated…

1 Like

If it were me I would toss them into either some paper towel or straight into your medium. They should let you know pretty quickly if they are viable. There are some that take a while but for the most part viable seeds will crack within a day or 2 in paper towel on a heat source. Some use the top of the fridge, I use a heat mat.

4 Likes

If you disturb the seed after the initial introduction to water, viable ones sink. I intentionally disturb them to see who sinks and who floats after soaking them for a day. Thus far, the only floaters have been ones I was questioning to begin with. I was just saying maybe I’ve been too harsh and should give it a try next time I have floaters.

2 Likes

im on the top of the fridge i usually go papertowel in plastic container i was just curious sbout this methode so i had few seeds i didnt know there origine so i tossed em in the water to see if they will live or die

Floating or not is not the best determinant in cannabis seeds, because cannabis is too much of an oily seed. Floaters are not always inherently unviable in that case. Aside from that, the soaking of a seed is dependant on several factors, one very important one is the age of the seed.

Placing seed in a matchbox with a piece of fine sanding paper stuck to the bottom and shaking the shit out of it for 5 to 10 seconds gently scrubs off an outer layer, which, especially in older seeds, can delay germination (the layer keeping water out). Watch out that you do not shake for too long though, this will damage the seed. If you have only 1 or 2 seeds in, only shake for 5 seconds. If you rather have 30 seeds in, you could probably go 15. Never shake seeds before it’s time to soak them!

Placing seeds between 2 wetted cotton make up remover pads, on a dish covered by a regular drinking glass is a good way to ensure clean germination without suffocation. Don’t let it dry out, and don’t oversaturate. Transfer when root is at 1cm. If root has started root hairs before you manage to get it out, simply cut out the piece of cotton that the root hairs now attach to and bury it together with the root in your soil. The cotton will become part of the root mass and has no detrimental effect whatsoever.

Viability is best determined in a clean environment, where no other organisms compete with the fragile emerging root, and in a way you can regularly check up on the seed without harming it. Seeds need very little light to germinate, as they are VERY sensitive to light, but a low level of light IS beneficial for germination.

As to temperature, germinating seeds should ideally be kept around 16°C/60°F. That is not to say other temperatures won’t be good for germinating, but IIRC those are the temperatures research has shown to be most conducive to a healthy germination. Higher temperatures leaves a more favorable condition for other organisms.

7 Likes

thanks alot for the knowledge this is valuable information

1 Like

This is how I start seeds.

Set them in a small tupperware of tapwater on top of your wireless router.

Or put a rag down and set it on top of your water heater or your furnace. Or use a seedling heat mat. Ideally around 90-100F and they will usually germinate within 24 hours. I’ve recently germinated 6 year old seeds overnight. Heat is key. Should feel like bathwater if you stick your finger in.

After they crack and you can barely see the root, plant. Don’t let the taproot get too long, it’s easy to damage and if you snap it there’s a good chance the seed won’t make it.

Direct sowing and patience is easiest though.

4 Likes

Why would low temps be good for germination? Pretty much all the sites I’ve seen, royalseed, I❤️growing, Hightimes, etc, suggestion 68-77F

1 Like

for seed temperatures i want to do a test in the future to confirm what subcool was saying in his episode 244 higher germination temps favors males

3 Likes

I just float sprouted 3 different strains and had 12 of 12 success. Most showed a white stub within 36 hours. 1 strain was stubborn and after about 72 hours I pulled them out, gently cracked them, and all sprouted in the next 24 hours.

Shot glass, few drops of peroxide, normal room temp.

Interestingly, they all floated the entire time. No sinkers.

5 Likes

im gonna try put them in paper towel tomorrow snd see if anything happens

Yeah Cracking is one technique I like to use as well. I often use my front teeth for it very carefully. Rarely goes bad strangely enough, I’m quite baffled by that actually. Think I’ve only cracked like 4 that ever went wrong…

1 Like

i probably would crush them more often then just crack

1 Like

Huh? I’ve never seen a cannabis seed float while germinating. It’ll float for 12-24hrs but then sinks (unless it has air bubbles attached that keep it afloat).

4 Likes