Gaia-Mother of All

So here is a subject that might generate some dialogue. The first of these links was one I posted some time ago that @Sebring thought well of. Since plants are his specialty I give that some weight. But recent articles…well let’s just post them.

10 Likes

Well, those three articles left me feeling sorry for the plants (cannabis and non-cannabis) that I grow in containers. It seems to me that I am depriving them of their essential nature, and very reason for being.

Very thought provoking trio of articles, which I found to be illuminating, as well as somewhat disturbing.

From last piece:

“I think that we’re so utilitarian with plants and we abuse them to no end. I think that comes from us having our blinders on. We haven’t looked. We just make these assumptions about them that they’re these benign creatures that have no emotion. No intelligence. They don’t behave like we do, so we just block it out.”

WOW…
Thanks for posting @Herbie

9 Likes

It brings to mind to me the destruction of the Amazon atm…but that is in no case an isolated incident. Fracking, logging. drilling. large scale fishing and mining. It seems a big world but is it just a dying whale feeding an ever increasing pool of sharks?

5 Likes

I always feel very guilty growing in containers for that very reason. It’s been treated as ‘bro’ science for a long time, but there is absolutely a neural network that plants utilize to communicate. I think growing a plant in a container is a lot like keeping a solitary animal in a cage. I am not quite sure how seriously to take these feelings and whether or not I should use them to inform a decision. Either way, I just hate container gardening.

3 Likes

I very much doubt the plant “cares” in any capacity, or feels pain in any capacity.

It is easy to project human concepts onto things that aren’t human, mammals, or even animals. I’m not gonna cry every time I mow the grass. Just because a plant can biochemically signal another plant, or exists in symbiosis with other organisms, doesn’t mean it has any semblance of a consciousness.

Don’t tell the vegans, they won’t be able to eat anything now.

4 Likes

something in packets with some water perhaps? guess they still have Ramen noodles

Stress and response whether plant or animal whether pain is the right word or not. Cares? hmmm I should think again stress or a lack of it and a simpler view perhaps.

Paramecium react to stimuli too. Does that mean they feel pain? Consciousness?

Every living thing endures stress of some kind. Algae might react to excessive light, but I am not gonna worry about their feelings haha.

2 Likes

Luckily, humans can photosynthesize and can survive solely on sun-gazing.

1 Like

Ramen is made of plants lol

1 Like

cardboard I heard…but perhaps initially

1 Like

Cardboard is still made of plants :-/

1 Like

There are some loonies who have died trying to do that lol

1 Like

yeah ramen is made from rice, it just happens to taste like cardboard if you buy the super cheap stuff. Nissin Raoh will change your world ^^

Anyways, I’ve always had a thought plants are smarter than we give them credit for, they just operate at a much slower pace.

As for actual feelings or consciousness, that’s a totally different ball game. Science can only barely define what consciousness even is in humans, much less where it resides or how it comes about or anything else about it. So applying it to plants is going to be real tough. IMO, the best candidates would be massive forests with like 1000+ year old trees that are all rooted together. Or that massive mycelium network in oregon. But yeah, good luck proving anything :confused:

4 Likes

cellulose ~ cardboard …just semantics really. we use those though. so they cleaned it up a little… took out the staples etc.

2 Likes

Not to get too off track but the noodles for ramen are made from wheat flour and alkaline salts

4 Likes

Your username is killing me hahahaha

2 Likes