Cannabis isn't a weed

Soooo I keep seeing this line pop up “its a weed” Cannabis isnt a weed though by definition.
Weed
noun

a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.

Does anyone else think this way? Am I just stoned?
Whats for lunch? Oh yeah weeds…
I also dont like the word marijuana as it was just made to make cannabis seem a mexican import to toxify and vilify views on such a divine part of nature. One that helps each of us navigate this royal F****** shit show we call life.
If we as cultivators who arguably have the highest love for cannabis just call it a weed is imo one of many reasons that misconceptions still run so rampant about the culture and community that surrounds it.
That is my rant for today :rofl: i hope i don’t offend with this viewing into my twisted mind. This is after all my OPINION that is all :rofl: i would love to hear what you think. Please don’t hold back… I love a lil debate

17 Likes

Hemp is a plant! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

18 Likes

It was termed marihuana by the government to associated it with Mexican people, so as to weaponize American racism against it (since it was already widely in usage/known as Cannabis). That only works if people are racist, though. Mexicans do have a strong history with the plant.

Volunteer hemp now meets that definition of weed…

I had a teacher who used to say weeds are just unloved plants.

12 Likes

So you think the “mexican” origin “toxifies and villifies”? hum|nullxnull Nothing much more to say … :expressionless:

9 Likes

Cannabis or hemp are my preferred terms, but mostly to specify the scientific (mostly) medicine side. Not bro science, wives tales. But really it just defines “more acceptable” than “dirty” street terms associated with not only recreational use but actually abuse, or characters created by those that deceive.

Most of the time I hear “it’s a weed” it is reassurance on the resiliency of the plant, which admittedly is very hearty in a way not dissimilar to weeds. For non-plant people like myself it’s just easier to think of it that way.

10 Likes

I don’t care what you call it. Weed, herb, hemp, smoke, marijuana, jeeba,…just pass the damn bowl…

13 Likes

I do feel the negative when I call it a weed, but it does fit the vigor and growth of one, and reminding one self of that at allows for better use of LITFA. Other than watermelon, I don’t think I’ve had a plant that grows as fast lol.

9 Likes

Sometimes I hear non growers say things like “it’s so easy to grow weed” and I tell them to go do it then.

15 Likes

Getting it to grow is one thing, getting it through harvest and drying it right is another :pensive:.

16 Likes

I dont think it does at all. B It was the reason the name was changed they were utilizing the prejudices of the time… Really wasnt trying to sound rascist at all. I personally have always loved latin sativas

5 Likes

I think those prejudices are still alive and kikin’, hope things will start to change now, we are all resoonsible for that. Thanks for pointing it out … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Marijuana is the political/legal term. Cannabis is the scientific/medical term. I choose science and medicine over politicians and judges any day. Everything else is just slang.

11 Likes

“Weed” can mean so many things.
A rose bush that sprouts in the middle of your tomato garden is a weed. It was uninvited and you want tomatoes, not roses. Plus that rose is now competing for water and nutrients that you’d rather went to the tomatoes. It needs to go!

Also, folks call any plant they don’t recognize “weeds”. This one bugs me, cause everything has a purpose. Also, I’ve been studying edible wild plants for decades and most things people call weeds, are more nutritious and disease resistant than the stuff growing in their gardens.

But, in terms of cannabis being called “weed”… That’s the term I grew up with in the 80s. Yes, the church and the government were calling it that, because that type of language implied that it was a menace, or unworthy, and needed to be eradicated… Obviously wrong and misguided.

But, I still call it weed all the time. Old habits die hard.

6 Likes

That they do it pops outta my mouth here and there still :joy: i like your view on edible plants. @firehead
Im glad i made this topic to hear others views on it you guys are awesome

5 Likes

I prefer nuggets and ganja mon! I love them from the morning all the way til the time I lay my headintha bed! :laughing:said in my best Jamaican accent! I am definitely stoned. All the time. I freak out when I’m not. Lol. But anyways. Wow man names are crazy! I like coming up with new strain names.

5 Likes

I like all the slang. If you down you can make a lame trip up real quick. They be like “ what’s a halfa booty?” And I be like “ exactly, get outta here!” Lol

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the electric lettuce myself, but it’s a barrier for newcomers.

3 Likes

Super interesting article related to this on the origins of the word in U.S. vernacular.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/14/201981025/the-mysterious-history-of-marijuana

3 Likes

Have you ever heard of pollen? In Kathmandu they mix hash and opium together. This seems like a really good bad idea! Lol

3 Likes