Germinating old Seeds

All the International Countries have a joint project where they’ve taken EVERY seed on Earth ( to include Cannabis, I imagine) and store them in a Vault in one of the Northernmost Countries. This is to preserve them from extinction. I store mine in my Fridge mostly. Maine Winters, I keep mine in a Hallway File Cabinet where the temp is kept in mid 40s. I also use Silica Packets (from new pill bottles, shoe boxes), I even ordered 62% Humidity Packs from eBay. My wife was making Rice Bags for family members. You put rice in a small/large sewn bag, pop it in the Microwave and, apply it to sore areas. I just asked her make me a few 4x4 inch packets. Put em right with the seeds before putting them in Fridge/Freezer.

3 Likes

I know that Bros Grimm released some A-11 a year or so back (?).
One of my pals gave it a run and was disappointed with the resulting flowers.
His contention being that it was not the same as the original release.
Too bad.

Anyway, the seeds are available at Attitude–12 regular seeds for $85.

1 Like

I am so beyond impressed with this! And I also want to cry, I have or should I say had some old ass seeds 20 yrs plus but I think I trashed them having no idea they could be saved. Wow great info

4 Likes

How long do you go between swapping out packets? And how do you go about this process? Keep it in the fridge and do it quick? Take it out and let it warm to room temp first to avoid condensation somehow?

I DON’T swap out the Rice Packs…they will act as moister retainers, helping to protect seeds. If I take the Bag out from Fridge (or Freezer), I just remove what I want, reclose and, back they go. If you meant the Lentil Soak Mixture, yes, I want IT at room temperature BEFORE placing seeds to be germinated.

4 Likes

All the rest of your plan sounds great for storing seeds except this one. I do not think you want the RH that high for seed storage. Please correct me if I’m on the wrong track here folks, but I’m pretty sure I would have had mine down around 35% or even less when I froze them. I have successfully germinated seeds frozen for over a decade and they behaved as though you just bought them, it’s really amazing. Desiccant packs and/or rice are all you need.
I put the seed packs in a cooler with cooler packs and let the seeds warm up slowly overnight, but I haven’t compared that with just taking them out so I really don’t know if that matters. Freezing seeds for indefinite storage really works.

edit They were stored in air tight 125ml canning jars, with much of the space taken up with little plastic bags of seeds and desiccant.

3 Likes

So CORRECT on the RH…I should have said Desiccant Packs!!! Thanks for the correction…I use the 62% packs for storing/curing in Turkey Bags. When removed from Freezer or Fridge, I don’t touch 'em for a day or two either.

2 Likes

I bought a waterproof tackle box. Do i Put rice in loose or inside of baggies? Or should I just use mason jars, which I have frozen before? You guys think a small airtight tackle box will work? It has nice separate storage for each pack or packets and is convenient in that regard.

Ever? Back in they go?

Indeed, back in they go.

1 Like

I’m thinking a little c-clamp would do the trick

1 Like

Ah good idea! Those small ones would probably work really well actually.

3 Likes

Sorry, been away for a while.If it’s the type of small tackle box that has a latch and a seal, then I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. With rice, I often put it right in with the seeds, but they can go outside of the packages so long as the seeds were properly dried to begin with. Mason jars are what I have used and are great also. I hope you have the luck I have had with it. It’s really cool to see a plant sprout from old stock.

1 Like

Thanks cannaloop! My seeds have been packed up but still not in the fridge. I’m going to take out what i need for this season before it goes in the fridge at this point. It’s tough to choose…all seeds i have purchased are new to me. It will be this week for sure though. Your response ( all responses really) will nudge me to action. Thankyou everyone for yr help with this!

2 Likes

Well my 15 + yr old Apollo 11 seeds are still viable . 2 are up , waiting on 1 more . Took about 5 days . Now I’ve got to decide indoor or outdoor .

11 Likes

awesome. very cool to hear that your seeds are still viable at over 15 years.

2 Likes

Yep , and the 3rd one has come up too So 3 for 3 . :grinning:

5 Likes

For older really stubborn seeds if scuffing them with sandpaper didn’t work I take a razor and ever so lightly I scrape the side where the seed will split. Your not trying to get to the embryo just remove that waxy first layer . The amount thats removed could be measure in microns. Or tenths . . I will put them in a wet paper towel with two plates stacked on each other that sits on my seedling heat mat . The mat has its own thermostat. I keep it at 79 degrees f . In between the two plates the damp paper towel with the seeds in the middle of the paper towel will sit.
Your not out the woods once they germinate . I usually get a tap root in 8 to 24 hours. The seeds go inside rapid rooters . The rapid rooters humidity dome goes on the heat mat with the rapid rooter inside it , seed in the rapid rooters. No nutrients for few weeks.
Seeds are stored in Eppendorf Safe-Lock Tubes . They will last many many years.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Hello @Strayfox , i seen your seed drop at soaknbeans. You hsve something that intrests me id like to talk to you about.
Chat with me please.
I am bongho
:100:lio

1 Like