Greenhouses and beneficial insects

Has anyone had success keeping the beneficial insects in a greenhouse environment. If you have any articles on the topic I’d also be interested. Didnt have any specific one in mind but since they’re usually the most popular let’s say if I were to try and use lady beetles, how would i entice them to stay.

3 Likes

You could always keep the green house sealed with air intake and exhaust for airflow. You would need to cover the I intake and exhaust fine screen to keep them in and out of harms way.if it to hot o have it seal you could create some larger vents with screen also. I dream if the day I can have a large seal climate controlled greenhouse, I’ll have all kinds of bugs living in there :grinning:

7 Likes

Have you ever listened to the Bug Lady on the KIS Organic podcast. She has some good stuff for larger grows and beneficial bugs.

4 Likes

That site is where I learned all about living soil. There is alot of great information on there.

1 Like

Beneficial insects will only stick around IF there is food available. If no food sources are available they instinctively move on to search for food sources… if there are none, they will die of starvation.

3 Likes

Susan is really great with bugs. She definitely knows when and how to use them. Not so found of her infatuation of petroleum products or her constant dissing of neem products.

Most definitely! A hospitable environment and food source is paramount. I have no idea if this is going to work, but we bought a beneficial attracting mix from Johnny’s seeds. If nothing else, they smell freaking great! This is a test, gonna plant a bunch outside the three season greenhouses this year.

Have no idea what this little guy is, but he seems to like the flowers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Last year my greenhouse had very few bugs compared to my other garden beds. Looking ahead to when I need to do it. this is alot of great insights thanks keep it coming!

1 Like

That bug looks to be a weevil, you can tell by the snout that looks like an anteater.

1 Like