Growing indoors with supersoil and hard well water

Hello everyone,

I have a question for all wonderful growers, when growing indoors with a water only super soil should I be using R0 water or similar? I live in the country and am on a well and my water regularly is between 300 - 400 ppm.

Thanks in advance for the help it is much appreciated. I’ve only had my mother tent running since I’ve moved and they don’t seem to mind the higher ppm at all. I’m just not sure if I willl experience problems later in the flowering cycle.

Have a great day everyone, happy growing​:fire::rose:

4 Likes

Hi @Chronickyle,

Do you know what is in your well water specifically? If it is calcium & magnesium - OK, if it other stuff like iron etc. maybe not.
What is the pH of your well water?

RO water can be tricky in hydro but ok with a good supersoil. You would have to supplement to some degree with Cal-Mag. Lights can also have an impact on that as well.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I do not know at the moment what makes up the ppm in my well water. I suppose I should submit it for a test somewhere, my ph is about 6.5, my lights are hlg 134s. I will have 5 (375 watts) of them in a 3 * 4 with 4 plants for my upcoming grow.

I’d prefer to use my well water and not RO, just wasn’t sure if I’d have to reduce the ppm of the water or not. I was hoping it would be okay.

Thanks

2 Likes

6.5 is a good pH number for soil. (thought it would be higher :thinking:)

I’m not familiar with the 134’s but HLG quantum boards are quite respectable. Folks have been reporting that the LED lights require more Cal-mag (but from the sounds of it you probably are OK on that issue).

For piece of mind I’d suggest you get your well water analyzed (…just so you know).
I’d think you should be ‘good to go’ with your water and supersoil.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I will get it tested but I need to figure out where to do that first.
I just double checked my ph. As I was going by memory before. It is currently actually 5.74.

1 Like

Personally I have shitty water in my apartment building, so I seriously just use bottled water… Using HP PROMIX and organic powdered nutrients and bottled water, never have issues in the last 4 grows.

2 Likes

5.74 is low for soil, you really want it 6.0 to 6.8 range so you will want to adjust it up a bit.
Other than the hardness, how does the water taste? Any signs of iron stains on the porcelain?

Cheers
G

1 Like

I do notice scale build up but I don’t believe it’s iron, water tastes great. Can’t even drink city water as this stuff tastes so good lol

2 Likes

How are you checking your pH? drops or meter?

Cheers
G

1 Like

What’s the problem then ? Hahha . My city is built on limestone so it always causes calcium buildup on sinks ect. Still, Organic soil will likely take care of any water issues. IMO, but I’m not an expert. If possible get a water analysis done.

2 Likes

I guess if i was really concerned about it i would ask the Super Soil Maker

1 Like

Meter. A cheaper one I must admit. But I did just calibrate with the liquid a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Just for a ‘sanity check’ cross checking your meter with the drops once in a while helps stomping out any nagging doubts. (Yes, I’ve ‘been had’ by a bad one before :laughing:)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

i had that common 10 dollar unit maybe rapid not sure, it always read 7, it would start at 0 but always ended on 7, in peat in clay sand didnt matter, it was so handy, It was so handy you didnt even have to get it out, you already knew the outcome…some kind of super advanced a.i. if you believe there ad.

1 Like

My water is at 300+ ppm. I ph it and let it run. Organics and coco with salts.

2 Likes

but all in all a good soil meter is my next tool purchase, good as in it works and accurate

I have similar well water ppm and haven’t tested. I grow water only rols. I use rainwater and maybe once every 4th watering, well water. Too much salt on a regular basis for microflora to have a good time in a container indoors. If wifeys houseplants get the salt buildup on the soil, you know it has way too much ppm . Outdoors, well water is fine IMO.