Harvesting pollen

This year I really want to do some breeding. I have some autos that I started a bit ago.
This is a Gambien (Thanks @Alaskagrown!):

It’s a cute little thing :slight_smile:

It developed balls over the weekend:

I would like to save some pollen from this plant to do a cross when some of my other autos go in to flower.

Can someone send me a pointer or give me an idea of the best way to harvest pollen from this little guy?
So far, I plan on waiting until I see some pods open, and then turning the plant upside down and shaking it into a ziplock :slight_smile:

Lob

3 Likes

Cut a large square/rectangle or parchment paper. Cut a small hole in the middle the size of your plants stem. Cut a slit from the edge to the hole in center. Slide the stem into the hole in the parchment via the slit. Wait for pollen to accumulate on the paper. Collect, screen out plant matter (I use a retired grinder’s kief screen), dry, seal air tight, freeze.

Some or even lots of pollen will kinda stick to the parchment, use a plant tag or card to scrape it up (if needed, basically only needed if only a small amount of pollen is collected on the paper).

8 Likes

Excellent advice…thanks!
I expect that given the stature of the plant, it’s not going to produce much, but that’s ok, it’s my first attempt.

Lob

Lots of ways.

I put my plant sideways over newspaper and collect that way.

You might be surprised, those are only the pre/1st flowers, eventually it will make a whole cola of male flowers.

3 Likes

Hey bud, remember that the search feature is your friend. Take a look through the multiple threads already created on this topic.

https://overgrow.com/search?q=pollen

3 Likes

Holy shitballs you’re right about the different methods of collecting pollen and sometimes I find myself forgetting about using the search feature I’m very interested in this too thanks for the info @DougDawson and I hope you receive your envelope soon and please let me know when they arrive and I am stoked about the possibilities with the critical mass cross for my Dad hope you all have a great week The Doc

2 Likes

Sorry…seriously my bad.
I’ve used the search function several times, and it really is quite good.
But sometimes I have a senior moment/brain fart, and totally forget.

I put a note on the side of my screen…“Hey DUMMY…USE SEARCH”

We’ll see if it helps.

Lob

2 Likes

Lol, dude don’t be so hard on yourself. I only pointed it out because the info you seek is already here and it’s a good function to get in the habit of trying first.

1 Like

Search member @Budderton he posted some super slick info on this process. Pics, “use this not that” regarding the type of paper, etc. VERY helpful and useful.

Also you can check out my PPP and Sour Bubble redemption threads. I explain my process and have collected over 60 grams of pollen so far on my current run :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve gotta method I’m not certain too many others are using. Collected some this morning - I’ve been using this method for a few seasons now. Allows me to collect as much as required and then use it/ store it in a controlled fashion.

Identify your males and separate before any pollen is released ( with the proper males and a watchful eye this can be done just up to the last day/days before release) - then depending on your setup or you can either continue flowering else where or cut a mature cluster of pollen sacks before they release. This season I brought the almost mature males outside about 500 ft away In a shed for a light dep. ran about a week and they started opening: took the top cola - and then disposed of the rest of the plant.

Placing a cut branch of unreleased pollen in a glass of water does not require the proper lighting to complete their opening process. I place a male cutting on a glass of water at an angle over a piece of tinfoil. I’ve waited up to 3 weeks for a full release of pollen depending on maturity at time of cut. Place in a separate building or ‘secure’ location for pollen drop.

I’ve attached the photos from this morning to give a better idea.

I’ve found this method to be the most effective when wanting to dust lowers with multiple crosses in a season as well as using pollen at a later date.

After pollen is dropping I begin gathering with a q tip (scored with knife to rough up the cotton). If I have multiple male cuttings in a room I do not collect from the tinfoil direct - rather make several collections by tapping the qtip under the open pollen sacks releasing the pollen directly onto the cotton.

I have vials with a bit of rice at the bottom. I gently place the pollen laden qtips here and place in a dark cool place - I’ve had little luck with freezing pollen because I find once the container is opened moisture finds a way to ruin the lot. This is why I use multiple qtips, only using one for one dusting one one plant - then tossing it.

I didn’t find anything in my brief search. If it’s already been shared my bad… but if it is helpful or useful for someone who wants to keep a ‘part of a male’ around for crossing. This is an excellent solution.

9 Likes

Too add, in the first day - after the male has adjusted to the glass of water and the leaves have found the light. I cut all the fans which stand in the way of the pollen falling.

Thought I’d add just a small detail which can make collection a bit more efficient.

3 Likes

I’m liking this a lot.
Thanks for sharing. I’ll be looking on Amazon for vials now :wink:

Lob

1 Like

Rad, glad it’s useful.

I can imagine anything that is air tight would work great, like an old plastic film canister or maybe even any small Tupperware. These vials prob are not the ideal because they may not be air tight and are clear. I cut my qtip to fit the container but I’m thinking almost anything that keeps air out/in will work great. Also the loose grains of rice work but probably there is a much better solution.

There was another post, forgot user…but they made the point that pollen is HUGELY concentrated. Like one small spec has billions of pollen spores in it, and so diluting it with toasted flower works really well. Think it might have been @DougDawson.
So when the time comes that’s part of my plan.

Lob

2 Likes

I for one don’t mix things with the pollen, I leave it uncut. Many do mix it thought. A spec of pollen will create a seed and is smaller than the human eye can see so yes, it’s pretty tiny. A little dab of pollen goes a long way. I figure that’s the main reason some mix it, also it helps with moisture control. Really just dealers choice. I won’t say either way is wrong.

5 Likes

Thought I’d share the storage technique I settled on after trying various things.

Got 4 years and counting on some fem pollen.

Especially sieving the debris out with a 200 mesh fabric made a big difference in storage life, thanks to Satva for this genius tip.

3 Likes

I had a small jelly jar with some pollen-laden q=Tips in it from last year (2022).
I used them to dust a few buds on some outdoor plants…
Nada, zippo, ZILCH.

Thinking storage. Jar was kept in a dark cupboard.

1 Like

If you’re storing pollen long term, it has to be completely dried out. Any amount of water will ruin the batch. Adding grains of rice with pollen will help with pulling excess moisture out of the pollen of storing long term @Lobstah