Homemade pollen collector

Here I present the prototype of the Binford 2000 pollen collection system.
Just wish I had some pollen sacks to test it with.

12"x12" 100micron screen.
2 wide mouth Mason jar lids.

Lids glued together

Place pollen sacks in one jar, then screw the collection jar onto the other side of the lids, then turn so that flowers are in top jar, and just give it a gentle tap every now and then.

I’m assuming that since the ones I see advertised are usually 100microns, that pollen will fit through the screen.

Lob

26 Likes

That’s pretty damn spiffy. I might have to try something like that for some dry sift.

3 Likes

Nice! The second lid thingy makes it… next level :smiley:

2 Likes

While this is a good sifter

I think I’m missing how it’s collecting it

1 Like

place branch with pollen pods in a jar, screw lid on, screw clean jar on other side of the lid, turn up so that branches are in the top jar.
Pollen gets released from pods and drifts down through the screen to the collection jar. Leaves all the pod stuff up top, pure pollen down below.

Lob

6 Likes

Only issue is you generally need a water source to place the male in for it to continue opening the flowers

I like the idea it just needs to be quirked

Maybe that weird vase gel stuff could be used somehow

Oh shit!
Ok, you’d have to make a sealed compartment of sorts on the bottom of the glass jar (that would then be the top when flipped.

maybe some kind of one use latex to be able to poke the male stem into without the gel falling out

So the male would have a “water source” at the top of the jar and be hanging upside down over the screen for the pollen to be collected
Ya dig?

3 Likes

Like them cutting boards that heal themselves

1 Like

i almost was thinking of the rubber thag goes on top of medical crimp vials for needles

But that sounds like a better idea haha
I just haven’t heard of those

I think they green in colour , I’ve never owned one

What about a large round fish bowl with some kind of water apparatus adhered to the side of the inside of it and that screen as the top opening of the bowl (to then be flipped over)

also vibrating toothbrush’s are your friend when trying to get pollen out of males

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspect-Cutting-Healing-Double-Layers/dp/B09JT382MS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=83657223564&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OOYx4L--QIVhIBQBh0-VgIzEAAYASAAEgLF6vD_BwE&hvadid=394494402906&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1007273&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7323302488792675710&hvtargid=kwd-315487345661&hydadcr=26161_1867219&keywords=self+healing+cutting+boards&qid=1662393610&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Or old school tuneing fork 115 or 112 I think

1 Like

Really handy train of thought here. How about the male(s) cuts held in these ,that are in turn glued upright to the bottom of the one side. The only concern would be any water leakage is gonna wreck your collected pollen, once inverted.

Perhaps a bead of silicone around the base of each cut?

6 Likes

They have these tubes for single flowers.

You could stretch a balloon over the end of one and pierce it with a needle and push the stem through for further water proofing.

3 Likes

I always thought that too
Until I tried mixing some pollen in water and spraying it for more accurate pollination of branches and it worked wonders

Idk how long pollen is viable in water but it’s not immediate that’s for sure

I still agree water would Fuck it up tho but just something I learned a year back and thought was interesting

I still spray pollinated females down before going back into gen pop, always will

5 Likes

My last pollen collection exercise I ran a bit of an experiment.
I had 3 branches. Left on leaning in the glass of water, just laid the other two down on the parchment paper.
I think as the 2 that were out of water dried out, their pollen flowers opened up as they dried, so still got the pollen.
Will know for sure later on when I reverse some more plants that I started last week, but that’s 2mos out. So if anyone else gives this a shot, let us know how it worked.

Lob

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Nice DIY.

1 Like

Looks good @Lobstah :+1:
I like the idea of the pollen going from 1 jar to the other and not flying around everywhere, although I can imagine some pollen getting stuck to the inside of the first jar.

Another good way to keep pollen from flying around when collecting is using a small clear rubbermaid lined with some parchment paper on the bottom, and having a cutout on one side big enough to slide a branch or 2 down and close the lid and give it a good shake.From there I scrape the parchment with a card and use a mesh strainer to filter it.
03dab4d3-f1c3-4cea-9bf7-eea1ce411015.CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1_

6 Likes

I went the less imaginative route and just bought a pollen shaker off Amazon.

6 Likes

Yep…I looked at those…but wanted something bigger. Looked at the “boxes”…but they were getting up around $50-100ea.
That’s when I looked at screens. I have tons of canning jars, so figured I’d give it a shot. I can put a lof of flowers in a big, wide-mouth mason jar.

Plus…I’m cheap. :slight_smile:

Lob

3 Likes