Has anyone done this? Alternative Octopot Grow Bag

RainScience Autoflower(tall) bags:
b76e75fd29deb031379afa8ae0419f27bb0f15b1_2_247x500

RainScience Standard bags:

Octopot OG Sleeve:
Measures 10.5 Inches Diameter 20 Inches Tall/High

Octopot Rocket Sleeve:
Supposedly 1.5" wider and 1" shorter than standard sleeve. So 12" Diameter x 18/19ish Tall - CONFIRMED BY MY PHOTO the Rocket Sleeve Just Under 14" tall

To cover up the seam between Hydro Wick and Reservoir, need 11-12" wide. Hydro-Wick is just shy of 11" diameter.

Based on this information, I think I’ll try the 7G Autoflower Bag at 12" Diam x 15" Tall. Best Dimensions I’ve seen yet.
If you check out the (listed) dimensions, the Rainscience 7 Gallon Tall/Autoflower Bag is 1" Narrower and 2.5" taller than your standard bag.

That one may go in my 2x2 burner tent! Give me an extra inch or three of clearance to the lamp.

I think the Octopot sleeves measurements include the flap at the bottom and folding over. In actual use, once hydro-wick and media is inserted they are shorter than the advertised dimensions.
A bit misleading…

I went ahead and ordered three of the Autopot 7 gallon pots. Each in color.
Should work out pretty well for the 2x2 grow coming up :vulcan_salute:

YOUR ORDER

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

$11.99

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

$11.99

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

$11.99

Subtotal

$35.97

Shipping

$9.00

Order Total $44.97

1 Like

There more expensive than fabric but will last WAY longer. I forgot all about getting the photo. I’ll try to remember after work

No worries, buddy! I ordered three of them. Gonna take the plunge!

1 Like

I’ve seen people use rain science grow bags for peppers outdoors with great success, always figured they’d dry out too fast without a drip or blumat type irrigation system. Never consider them with octopots, love the idea! Do you notice them going through more water compared to normal fabric bags on the octopots?

1 Like

Definitely a question for Mr greenbee, since he’s right in the thick of it at this time!

I wouldnt think it would be much of a difference due to the reservoir-feed nature of the Octopots dual root system. He did mention a bigger root system compared to the Octo-bags, so it would make sense at least minimal additional water usage. Probably not enough to be a big deal.

Lets see what Greenbee says…

1 Like

No id don’t there about the same as the other. They do all more the roots to grow through the bag into the res. I haven’t noticed anything spectacular over the octo sleeve other than there a lot more heavy duty.

1 Like

Thats what I was hoping for. I noticed that on my last grow. Many roots came striaght down thru the Hydro-wick and the bag material of the Rocket sleeve to make into the reservoir. Im hoping for more of that with the Rain Science bags. On my first Octogrow the roots came out the cup first, but along the way the entire hydrowick was a root-path to the reservoir. Huge column of roots!

My new bags are supposed to be in Vegas tomorrow, so I can mess around with them over the weekend and maybe cut a hole and try it for fit.

Its gonna be close to as tall as an OG Octosleeve. I think they will end up being as tall, or taller than the rocket sleeve once set up… if they are truly 15" tall.

Kinda making me think I should have ordered one of the OG Rain Science bags in 5 Gallon, lol. Although its a bit short at 10.5" - slightly shorter than the Potlab bag.

I will never stop nit-picking & second-guessing…

Rain Science bags arrived, These things are tough.
Initial impression is, Wow…WOooooOOW. Just Wow… All I can say is WOW!
Seriously, these bags are nice. Almost a shame to put anything in them.
So, of course I had the bottom cut out within 30 minutes! :upside_down_face:

Rain Science bag height - Just under 15"

Octopot Rocket Sleeve Height - 13.5"

Starbucks cup as Template!

This bag is supposed to be 12" wide. I think it tapers and is slightly wider up top. It fits the Hydro-Wick and gap to the reservoir just perfect, and I think once filled with soil will bulge out enough to cover that gap just fine.
Its a great height and probably could do with around 3+" of soil space from top of bag. Looks to be roughly 1" taller than Rocket Sleeve, so possibly the same height as the OG Octopot sleeve once installed?? Thats if Octopots stated dimensions are correct.

I really think these bags are what I was looking for! Thanks @Mr.greenbee for such a great suggestion!

Next grow for sure!

3 Likes

i’m gonna play with this idea this summer. Thanks for inspiration.
Maybe on 5 gallon buckets

1 Like

Im interested to see what you come up with!

The 5 gallon tall version wont work with the Hydro-wick as its only 10" diameter. The 5 gallon regular version is 12" diameter (same as the tall 7G) but only 10.5" tall, which would be cutting it really close if using Octopot. Ive heard we’re supposed to have at least 11" for the gradient to work. Thought I read that somewhere on OG, lol.

@Mr.greenbee is the one that turned me onto the brand. I just made big deal about it, lol.

I think that 11" info was from @OctoChris but it hasn’t really been validated. We’ve seen highly successful Octo grows in all sizes of upper pots. Octos that had huge root systems in the reservoir OR in the soil pot, OR even nicely distributed between the two.

Is there an actual “Optimal?” TBD.

Your experiment will be very interesting, watching.
Thanks,
-Grouchy

1 Like

Nice info here. Adding my 2cents, I don’t Octopot, but I do soil and I use mostly what are called “potato bags” for my grow bags. They’re taller, more like the octopot bags, and have a cool velcro hatch on the side on the bottom half so I can check on the soil moisture and roots down below. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think you mean “Octomal” :rofl:

1 Like

I like this design a lot, I use a few sizes, large solid pots and smaller transplanters, great prices w/ good fabrics at 247Garden:

1 Like

I came across those bags when I was searching for this project. Very interesting.

2 Likes

They have a lot of great sizes there, for sure!

1 Like

I find them very helpful - usually I peel a corner and poke in my finger. Here’s all of these pots were wet on top, but the last one had dried out much more thoroughly than I realized and I’ve now done some extra watering. Takes a lot to rehydrate once the soil is hydrophobic dry :frowning: though you wouldn’t get that with Octopots, seems like it would still be nice to see the water level seep up and the root growth.

1 Like

That would have definitely helped with my sanity during first grow. Five plants each in a 5 gallon plastic pots. 4 different phenos each wanting different things. It got very tough to tell what needed water & what didnt.
For the most part, I think those days are behind me. The " Drink what they want when they want" nature of the bottom feeding Octopot is just too easy with regards to watering.

Im sure that would drive Octo-growers nuts… They would see their root levels and go crazy because theyr’e too high! Keep those roots low in the bag and heavy in the reservoir…

Could also be a good training tool to see what techniques work and put plants against each other. check out root systems kinda live, at least on the outer portion of pot.

2 Likes

So I got the other two bags done this past weekend. Hole for Hydro Wick and 8 grommets each.
I’m very hopeful for these Rain Science grow bags.
Based on @Mr.greenbee positive experience in his current grow, I should be happy. If this works, I’ll just save the 3 unused Rocket sleeves for backups, if needed.

This time I used my large reuseable Big Red Cup as template. Perfect fit with NO additional trimming. Sweet!

Lots of Hydro Wick to grow bag area to let roots through with no fabric folds to get in the way. Roots should come through both the cup of the Hydro Wick and through the flat surface as well. In my last grow with Rocket sleeve there was quite a bit of roots coming through, I expect this to work better. Fingers crossed!

In these last photos, if you look closely you can see I’ve inserted the Hydro Wick on top of the 5-gallon bucket to stabilize the grow bag to template and check fit prior to cutting.

One of these Rain Science bags are definitely going to be used in my upcoming 2x2.5 grow…

1 Like