Has anyone done this? Alternative Octopot Grow Bag

Hey guys!

Has anyone done alternative bags with any type of success? This would be with 6 or 3 gallon Octopots, not the micro versions people are using.

Its about 2.5" shorter than the Rocket sleeve, which is, I think 1" shorter than the OG sleeve. Would there be enough depth for the needed moisture gradient?

Here’s the two side by side. Note the height difference.

Hydro Wick is perfect fit in the Potlab 5 gallon bag.

Check out the measurements

Rocket Sleeve is just under 14" tall

Potlab 5-Gallon bag is 11" tall

All I’d really need to do is cut hole to fit Hydro Wick cup through.

Thoughts? Been done , crashed and burned?

8 Likes

Hi @supersecretjim,

As you probably know, there’s a controversy over the importance of the grow bag height in Octos, Classic or the micros. OctoChris, the inventor maintained that the tall bags were essential, but in practice growers have used tall, short and in between with great success.

I don’t know of anyone using the Hydro Wick they way you propose but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Howza bout you do a side by side comparison grow and answer a bunch of questions for us?

-Grouchy

5 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan I’ve got an autopot (capillary) and dtw growing atm if you’re interested?

2 Likes

I will definitely do that! Just not right now, LOL.

Committed to the grow I’m starting this weekend. Always possible in the next grow or two. I might even start the 2x2 tent and change plans in that one and do a "shorty"grow.

An idea I’ve been thinking about since last night is doing a grow in the 2x2 tent and taking a couple clones and started them in the 2x4 so they are both on equal ground.

1 Like

Hole cut

Hydro Wick inserted into just under 4" hole. Starbucks cup as template :vulcan_salute:

Good fit to the reservoir. A bit “Cushy” feeling due to the extra fabric thickness.

Height difference . Just not sure if enough room for the moisture gradient to do its thing.

Definitely going to try a grow with this or another fabric pot. I may try a few different fabric pots thru Amazon to see if any are taller in particular.

5 Likes

This bag is another option I found on Evil Amazon…

A bit taller by 1". and a tad bit narrower. Only thing is, no reinforced holes for training. I like the holes. I use the holes (yes I said that in my head after I typed it, yet it remains).

I may order them just to see how the fit is.

This is what I use to make holes. $8 at harbor freight. Called a leather punch.

2 Likes

There was some discussion about pot size in the octo thread. Right around post 800.

There was also some discussion about rolling down the grow sleeves elsewhere in the thread but I couldn’t find it (and I was just reading about it a couple days ago). Iirc I believe some people said something about leaving a height of 9” when you roll the bags down but I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t used the octo pots myself. They definitely pique my interest though.

I was just looking at Grommet kits online as well!
Under $10 or get nice one for a bit more.

1 Like

Just found this 7 gallon bag. Great dimensions!

Order from Amazon. $24 for six pack.

1 Like

the tall bag short bag i read was a gravity down wicking up thing. the media in the smaller bag is wetter. more air at the roots in the taller bag. i do not see a line out small res i wonder about the solution getting warm.

I’m using a different bag on one of my octopot and plan on switching them all. It a rain science grow bags PVC type mesh. It night and day comparing the root mass from the RS to the rocket bag so much more. And there a lot more durable than the rocket sleeve. I just cut a x in the middle and put the hydro wick in fits perfect. Easier to fill the soil also as they hold them self up

3 Likes

I’ll check that one out! Thanks for the heads up. Are you doing a grow journal for that one on OG?
Also, are you using the 5 or 7 gallon bag?
How would you say harvest is compared to rocket sleeve?

1 Like

I’m using the 7 but want to see the dimensions on the 5 gal cause I’d rather use that. I may make my own it wouldn’t be hard to sew a few up. Yeah all my stuff on the greenbee thread. I don’t mention it much just a trial I was doing but I’m going to switch all eventually. I’ll post some pictures in a few of the bag.

That would be great! Was just checking out the website. They have slightly taller auto flower version available as well.

1 Like

Yeah those are newer. It been awhile since I’ve been on there site. They cost a little more than the fabric bags but will last 10 times longer there very durable and 100 times easier to clean than the rocket bags

RainScience Autoflower(tall) bags:
b76e75fd29deb031379afa8ae0419f27bb0f15b1_2_247x500

RainScience Standard bags:

Octopot OG Sleeve:
Measures 10.5 Inches Diameter 20 Inches Tall/High

Octopot Rocket Sleeve:
Supposedly 1.5" wider and 1" shorter than standard sleeve. So 12" Diameter x 18/19ish Tall - CONFIRMED BY MY PHOTO the Rocket Sleeve Just Under 14" tall

To cover up the seam between Hydro Wick and Reservoir, need 11-12" wide. Hydro-Wick is just shy of 11" diameter.

Based on this information, I think I’ll try the 7G Autoflower Bag at 12" Diam x 15" Tall. Best Dimensions I’ve seen yet.
If you check out the (listed) dimensions, the Rainscience 7 Gallon Tall/Autoflower Bag is 1" Narrower and 2.5" taller than your standard bag.

That one may go in my 2x2 burner tent! Give me an extra inch or three of clearance to the lamp.

I think the Octopot sleeves measurements include the flap at the bottom and folding over. In actual use, once hydro-wick and media is inserted they are shorter than the advertised dimensions.
A bit misleading…

I went ahead and ordered three of the Autopot 7 gallon pots. Each in color.
Should work out pretty well for the 2x2 grow coming up :vulcan_salute:

YOUR ORDER

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

$11.99

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

$11.99

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

Auto Flower Bags (Black)

$11.99

Subtotal

$35.97

Shipping

$9.00

Order Total $44.97

1 Like

There more expensive than fabric but will last WAY longer. I forgot all about getting the photo. I’ll try to remember after work

No worries, buddy! I ordered three of them. Gonna take the plunge!

1 Like