Has anyone tried this?

This this is it what I do been using aloe with great success out of 15 clones I took last round all but 1 rooted @misterbee

4 Likes

INDEED, “Oldtimers” once soaked seeds in “willow water” to accelerate germination, especially “hard-cased seeds”. Lots of old tricks still being used. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: NOTE: I’ve learned to take out my Note Pad when @anon58740919 stands at the Lectern!!!

4 Likes

It works. Will also work for a headache…it is effectively aspirin and less harmful to the stomach brother :sunglasses: the old tricks are still about because they’ve worked :100: willow water in cut flowers will keep them fresh a little longer too. I’m learning everyday too @misterbee but you flatter me too much :relaxed:

1 Like

I have 8 going now–I got an aquarium bubble, splitters and tiny air stones-- one in each Solo cup…
I dipped the cuttings in Clonex, and added a bit of cloning solution to the water… and I change the water 2x a week… So far, 3 of the 8 are rooted in about 12 days…
Anything looking like its not getting ready to root (not scabbing or bubbling) is being replaced on Sunday…

2 Likes

Just monitor the water so it doesn’t turn slimy.

3 Likes

The main ingredient your after in those Aloe Vera Fronds is Salycytic acid.They sell it pure on Amazon.I clone with fresh aloe all the time.I get the best results with fresh tap water changed daily.I stick the stems in the Frond chunks and submerse them in the water I use clear McDonald’s cups.I only do this to hydrate the cuts and get them to soak up I do this for 2 to 3 days max covered in a plastic bag for humidity.then I dip into clonex rooting gel on transplant night and dust with Plant Probiotics plant directly into a clear cup I put into a solo to cover roots up of sunshine mix or Pro Mix hp.I set the cuttings in a clear topped dollar store tote and always keep at 18/6 light don’t do 24 hr you will have a very confused clone.I wrap the tote with a clear trash bag for 3 days checking twice a day to mist interior not the cuttings and air out for min 15 min then I recap.Temp-is kept l at min 78 degrees I take off the trash bag and leave capped checking twice a day for 2 to 4 more days.That’s My method and I have maybe one not hit out if 10 to 15 cuts.I’d imagine you could cut out the aloe chunks with the Salycitic acid you would have to experiment on dose though.

4 Likes

The willow water is an old school technique. Unfortunately at this time of the year willow branches will NOT contain enzymes/magic you are looking for. Early spring when the tree is budding is when to harvest the willow water.
Edit: I am wrong…bowing to the wisdom of @anon58740919
GH Rapidstart has the willow extracts and a bunch of other enzymes.
Good Fortune!

1 Like

same. for the most part i dont have to heat, but in the peak winter i absolutely have to use a pid controlled mat

2 Likes

If you can’t find any willows, no worries, just dissolve one uncoated aspirin into a gallon of room temperature water and use that.

Aspirin was created from willow bark and has the salicylic acid in it needed to encourage root growth in new cuttings. Change the water every 4 or 5 days with room temperature aspirin water until roots appear.

2 Likes

Salicylic acid helps with disease and pest resistance… the idea that willow water helps with rooting is an old, and mostly inaccurate one. There is IBA (indole-butyric acid) in willow switches, but it’s pretty much insoluble in water and the amount that will dissolve is far too little to help. IBA can be thoroughly dissolved in alcohol, but watering your plants with ethanol or isopropyl is obviously idiotic and methanol, although it could actually be used for watering in concentrations that would make dissolving IBA feasible, is far too expensive to realistically be used for the purpose.

If you want to add rooting hormones, unfortunately, the best way is to pay for it… or get a chemistry set and set yourself up to distill and recover isopropyl from solution, then create IBA powder yourself through solvent transfer. A little overcomplicated for me, when you can buy a few ounces of gel for $20.