Diy root hormones - Willow water etc

You can use aloe vera gel with a small amount of asprin or best thing is to take fresh Willow tree shoots, the kind that grow in water cut them up soak in water for several days then use that water to soak the cubes. Willow treas have natural rooting hormones that are rather strong.

18 Likes

Do you have a specific recipe by chance?

About 1/3 Willow shoots to 2/3 boiling water. You want to use the fresh green shoots and of course harvest sustainably :+1:

2 Likes

You got these huge cloning operations spending who knows how much on rooting gel and hormones when nature provides them for free.
Just one of many things we can do to reduce costs and cut down on waste.

3 Likes

I’m wondering, does anyone have any experience breeding beneficials? In a no till garden, you should be able to get away with only a couple soil inoculations and the fungi/bacteria/mycorrhiza should self propagate if properly nourished. :grin:

Probably why things like the AN piranha and voodoo juice are so expensive… But if everyone buys a jug that’s alot of jugs sold…

Love growing and using Aloe!! I don’t even know how to identify a willow tree species to harvest some shoots to be honest lol
Definitely worth a try and side by side with aloe and maybe clonex or whatever brand

1 Like

Yep i run a half acre no till organic market farm, I’m all about compost tea, worm farms, cover crops etc and you can always purchase the specific beneficial you want and make teas to increase the population. If somebody had the right set up you could also keep cultures of your desired beneficial but would need to keep them separate because one tend to take over the other or require slightly different mixes to be kept in lab culture’s.

2 Likes

There not hard to identify once you look them up, there are a alot of varieties but what you want is the kind that grows in creeks and can’t be killed. The stuff that people hack away, burn , rip up and it still comes back. It dosent grow in all areas but as far as I know it is pretty wide spread.
If not maybe I’ll start selling bags of Willow shoots in compostable boxes :thinking:

2 Likes

I have thought about this before. I take soil thats not currently in use, amend it, hit it with different myco innoculants and let it cook. Do I really still need to add innoculants to my water, or is the soil already colonized enough?

1 Like

I believe this can be done with about any Salix plant. :+1:

use to use willow in Mich, here there are not many willows so i use aspirin… salicylate. I also use coconut water at times as well

2 Likes

I was wondering about them out competing each other.

1 Like

I found one of these not to long ago going have to remember where

Willow Water!

3 Likes