Help me decide on the next run *NL - now with grow journal*

Ok, so popped 4x NL in

Was gonna do 5, but dropped one and promptly stepped on it while looking for it LOL. Hope that one was a male. Thus, 4 in the hole.

6 Likes

I was going to vote for the NL :grin:

2 Likes

Isn’t that an indication of good luck, or something. Mazel tov.

4 Likes

so i take it voting has closed… :smile: whoops, sorry.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Were you gonna vote for NL too? It was like watching the electoral map of my grow room turn green instead of purple… :laughing:

Toda raba @Northern_Loki :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen, as voted by the community, let me introduce: Northern Lights

There’s 4 of them, all popped, pretty strong little bastards
I’ll start a separate grow diary for these

5 Likes

Putting NL here.

Growing good. Don’t have much time for them fighting with other issues. Just making sure there is some moisture in coco and that’s about it…

3 Likes

Northern Lights seem to thrive on LITFA. Don’t remember what I did to them, but they are pretty decent. Need to flush them later today because as @MomOnTheRun mentioned in one of her posts, the pH is probably all out of whack me keeping the coco just saturated and not letting it drain to waste

So they are a little oddly coloured, but growing well. I’ll fix that. The colour that is, not them growing well :wink:

3 Likes

Scrape off the algae, cover the soil with some cardboard and water just a bit less so the roots can get some air…my $0.02 :wink:

2 Likes

Will do, thanks! That algae shit is everywhere…

1 Like

No problem! If its everywhere then clean off as much as you can, use 3%peroxide (1/4c to 1 gallon water) to wipe all the surfaces down and keep the soil covered up…you don’t want that getting down into the roots. For extra protection you can add the peroxide to your feed water…gives some o2 to the roots or get some hydroguard…bacteria eating machines

3 Likes

How are the babies?

I keep waiting for an update though had to ask :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks for bugging me about it! So much on the go, I keep forgetting about them. Mainly because they are just so uneventfully wonderful. Even thought that green algae is still there. But I think it is WAY less of an issue in coco than it is in DWC. Pretty much a non-issue as far as i can tell.

Here’s a couple for closer inspection:

They are currently cohabiting with my haze, but face eviction shortly. II am actively flattening the haze out, and once a little more of the footprint is filled in they are getting scrogged and flipped.

Actually, the reason this haze is not flipped yet, is the fact that i need these NLs on 18/6, and i have no room in my auto tent to put them; it’s a mess, and i’d be messing with them every time i water or rotate.

But soon I will have no choice.
Living space is getting tighter by the day…

I did buy a small 2x2x4 for future breeding purposes, so I think i’ll throw a light and a fan in there and move the NLs into their own bachelor suite for the time being. Next week (that’s the Canadian version of mañana)

4 Likes

Nice!!! Yeah, once it sets in its hard to eradicate though may I offer another avenue? Clone the most vigorous ones then once they set root say ~2" cut the roots all to the same size and put them in their own 4" pots…they’ll be happy for ~3-3.5 wks then instead of up potting them, cut their roots back by a 1/3 with fresh soil in the bottom then repeat every 6 months…above soil growth can be cut back by a 1/3 to tame them every 3-4 wks. Bonsai!!

If you go this route just make sure the new substrate doesn’t get infected :wink:

2 Likes

Sweet! I’ll be taking clones anyways for sexing, so i’ll do that for sure to keep a mom clean.

I actually had a long battle with algae that i lost here:

These NLs were fed water out of the DWC rez BEFORE i knew there was an algae problem

None of the other plants have any algae on the top layer of perilite…
So yeah, i’ve infected them, for sure. Way to go “dad”

3 Likes

It happens though you are doing everything you can to overcome it and you will with better knowledge for the future :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

…can’t we put algae-eating things in there…mom? :confused: :bug:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

So my timing was not perfect, but due to the lack of affordable housing (a really common problem here in BC…), and following a “renoviction”, these got moved under an HPS with the autos. It’s OK, they’ll be cloned, mom selected, and balance made into seeds anyways. Onwards.

4 Likes

Still haven’t got my shit together to get them into their own tent.

But they are getting bigger. Gonna have to do something soon

2 Likes

Quick update:

Clones have mostly rooted, one confirmed female, the others will get flipped in a couple days to force sexing.
Still in solo cups in coco

One plant is looking more like haze than NL, so that one will get the chop :scissors:

Hope to keep one male too, for that propagation experiment… But if that weird skinny one is the only male i’ll skip.

Here they are:

Cheers,
HH

3 Likes