Hempy Experiments

Either works, because they are fundamentally very similar. I’d avoid the larger volumes of stagnant water in kratky though, as that can breed root rot.

People have done experiments adding airstones to hempy reservoirs and there wasn’t a difference. Just something to think about.

5 Likes

Interestingly enough, an airstone experiment was in planning stage

1 Like

I could see it maybe helping if your grow was otherwise fully “maxed out” i.e. CO2, perfect VPD, super strong lighting, etc…but if you search airstone hempy on icmag it should point you in the right direction.

And my thought process has always been if you’re gonna start adding airlines and CO2 and sealed controlled environment, you may as well just do full active hydro like DWC or drain to waste with frequent irrigation anyway.

3 Likes

Following up here.
Experiment 1: Bottom Feed Coco Hempy
Failed. Hempy res became anaerobic leading to all the bad things. An airstone, or some kind of aeration is needed. Will attempt again soon with aeration.

Experiment 2: Rockwool Hempy
Strong Success
Was the smallest plant, now has the thickest stem. Growth has been noticeably more vigorous compared to straight rockwool. Will be working on this more as well, feeling like this has some potential.

3 Likes