Hey OG, show me what's in your pants :)

Felt weird, just deleted.

1 Like

What felt weird. I read the fist bit of your post and when I came back it was gone, lol.

1 Like

Here’s a 15 year old hot knife champion instead lol

Realizing I’m not changing the world with a internet post :rofl:

3 Likes

All good bud. Was just curious is all. No need to leave a post you are not comfortable with.

1 Like

Mostly I kinda felt like I was opening up a box that had already closed itself and I was getting g all long-winded and cavalier haha instead of just , “here’s some knives”

So, here’s some knives

My old ‘edc’

Slain many a beef tenderloin, tons of chicken, and even more mirpoix, and a few thousand paying customers along the way :grinning:

6 Likes

I have a Ganza for a pocket knife. Use it all the time on my farm. Check out the end of this thread. Seed popping comments - #302 by OldUncleBen

2 Likes

Yup, I have a few of those newer Chinese D2 knives and they’re just excellent all around, and unbeatable for the price, this one’s my favorite, my CJRB Mini Feldspar with undyed/raw jade G10 handles:

3 Likes

Nice @Dirt_Wizard! Another nice thing about the Ganza is it won’t turn in your hand. It’s got channels, grooves.

Flip out? Mine opens/locks in place with the light flip of an index finger. Fast as a switchblade too.

3 Likes

Here is my favorite that I own. I got this on a trade I made in Iraq back in 2005. I can not remember what I traded in return but I made a trade with one of our supply guy for a box of these. I ended up with 6-8 of them and brought them back home with me. I gifted the others to family members that next Christmas. They still have them!

I had a Benchmade switchblade that I also received in Iraq that was an amazing knife. I misplaced it a few years back and still kick myself for not being more careful with it. I carried that knife on two deployments and for a lot of years after. I wish I could get my hands on another but they are not sold to the public.

5 Likes

My Zero Tollerence ZT 0303 is still my favorite folder and my EDC. It’s a perfect fit to my big mit. At 9 oz it’s a bit heavy for some but perfect for me.

7 Likes

@E5_Wilk Goddamn now that’s a trade! I love me some barter and have made some nice scores, but a box of Benchmade fixed blades is something else! I can’t think of ever having made a good trade for a knife, I mostly buy mine new or find old ones online or in junk stores (mostly kitchen/utility stuff) and fix it up.

@DougDawson Zero Tolerance look really nice, I’m a big fan of the made in the USA Kershaws especially the Bareknuckle, but I don’t think my hands are big enough for most of the ZTs. I have long and thin fingers with average sized, flat palms, so I like a big but slimmer knife, I think. Heavy isn’t so bad for me vs how it fits in a pocket, with a good leather belt I don’t really notice an extra ounce or two in my pocket.

1 Like

I love zero tollerence VERY nice knife :100: :fire: :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

1 Like

The ZT 0303 is long discontinued, I have 2 but very difficult to find. Check out the ZT 0350. I have a couple of those as well. They are basically the same knife but smaller. Blade is 3.25" instead of 3.75" and is 6ox instead of 9oz. I have custom shieths for both models. I wouldn’t cary the ZT0303 without one.

2 Likes

I became pretty good at bartering when I was deployed lol. I collected some pretty cool gear that’s for sure!

I love Kershaw as well. I think it’s time for me to buy a new one so I am glad I found this thread!

3 Likes

I bought up a pile of Kershaws when it became illegal to import them into Canada. Can still cary them but can’t import them. Here are most of the ones I got. I do have more and other brands but do love Kershaw.

8 Likes

Since this thread is so active, and we share our experiences with vendors here on OG a lot, I wanted to say a little about buying knives in my experience and give a shout-out to my favorite edged tool vendor. If you ever need knives, axes, or other cutting tools, I can’t recommend Baryonyx Knives in Maine enough. They carry a hand picked selection of knives and tools from around the world, with a focus on the best commercial tools that hit an incredible cost/performance ratio. That’s enhanced by the services they offer, where for a few dollars extra, you can have an edge tuned by them from the factory sharpness, which means a full and accurate reprofiling a little sharper and thinner, usually. Even if you don’t buy the extra sharpening (and you should), he has a seven point inspection system for everything that comes through the business to double check the manufacturer’s quality control.

Just as good as the knives are the sharpening supplies he sells. I do 90% of my sharpening freehand (both moving the knife over a large stone and moving a small stone over a static knife) and the rest with a knife guide and magnetic digital level on a bench stone. He has the most beautiful synthetic whetstones made for him by a major US abrasives company, in various compositions and grit levels. And the thing I love is that he makes a ton of shapes and sizes, from bench, jacket, and pocket rectangular stones, to axe pucks, scythe triangle and oval bars (he’s the biggest scythe fanatic I’ve ever seen), and sells B grade stones for a few bucks that make great gifts, I’ve given a bunch of friends some $3-4 seconded pocket stones that they love.

Dude is super active on BladeForums as either 42Blades or FortyTwo Blades something like that, just a good vendor all around and a small business I wanted to recommend to folks who need knives or farm and woodworking tools.

https://www.baryonyxknife.com

If I had to use one sharpening tool for the rest of my life and it wasn’t diamond it would be one of his fine Arctic Fox stones, I use the full size one in my kitchen and it’s so nice. This is his best all around stone for everything IMO, a combo grit field stone with the smooth and a medium. The sapphire ceramic abrasives are hard enough to cut newer supersteels and high Rockwell blade tempers but it feels like a stone should, I grew up on Norton Crystolon (silicon carbide) and India (aluminum oxide) synthetic stones instead of natural whetstones (other than black or white Arkansas pocket stones for polishing). I love the feeling of a good wet synthetic stone that works up a proper slurry whether for slicing against or a Japanese-style push-pull perpendicular sharpening technique. One of these days I’ll spring for the Black Magic finishing stone but for now I just use a alumina ceramic crock stick and some Japanese finishing cloths for deburring and polishing from Ookami Gold.

3 Likes

Off Grid is making some really nice knives

Amazon.com: Off-Grid Knives: Elite Series - Black Mamba V2

2 Likes

This deserves repeating…

You need to exert excessive force on a dull knife leading to loss of control and injury.

I do not like things in my pockets so no knife for this guy.
But I do find myself in need of one often.
I tried the belt clip style but kept loosing knives.

@DougDawson
Nice knife collection!
Do you have a son that will inherited that collection one day?
I love the old knives myself. :heart_eyes:

@CornbreadJunior
This unit looks well thought out, did you make it?

2 Likes

Once you are talking off grid I tend to go full tang and use folders as a backup. Meet the Hibilis bush tool.

9 Likes

Hell Ya :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :100: :fire:

1 Like