Is Grafting a great way to breed?

Alot of people I know havnt heard of grafting or knows what it is! Kinda blew me away…

2 Likes

how would you breed by grafting?

Let’s say you start with my personal favorites White Rino, + Green Crack. Take a cutting from your White Rino & slice your Green Crack graft your WR to it, let bloom & pollinate your blooms with WR male. Start seeds clone FEMALE WE + GC SO I GUESS YOU GOT WHITE CRACK? ETC…

1 Like

O get an old 70s encyclopedia

1 Like

cannabis grafting isnt like applesXD

1 Like

O really so how’s it go then sir if you don’t mind me asking? I started this subject on another part of this sight to get info because I can’t find anything about it anywhere

if you graft the cr to the gc the traits wont mix

1 Like

Really whys that? Do you have a sight to read about crafting

not quite sure for either question:P

If you graft two plants to have say one branch of White Rhino and another branch Green Crack they won’t magically mix themselves…

Still if you pollinate those two branches with White Rhino male you will get resulting two crosses…

On White Rhino branch → WRxWR
and
on Green Crack (the very same plant) branch → GCxWR

Grafting takes two physical plants and “connects” them physically, without mixing its genes (that can be done only by producing seeds).

6 Likes

Thank you Joe for the truth. Grafting only produces 2 plants in 1, not a majical mixture of the 2

Breeding and Grafting are different things.

Dont mix the 2.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

You could create a single plant that could have different varieties of bud. There could be a market for that to sell to end users where there are strict plant limits.

yes i’ve seen videos on youtube of grafting, i guess it could be useful for plant limits if you wanted to maintain one mother with all your strains on it … however i dont think you should put all your eggs in one basket because it’d be a shame to lose that plant !

1 Like

I have seen a lot of grafting amongst friends and journals online, main reason to graft would be to produce multiple strains on a low plant count, problem is I have never seen anyone keep one going for more than a season, would be nice to see one going over say 10 years and if it took on any of the rootstock’s traits, I don’t think they would but would be interesting to find out. A Question I have always asked myself is if I grafted a branch from one strain to a male and then let it self pollinate that branch, what are the offspring going to turn out like, are they going to get their genes from the rootstock or that branch, I know we are not talking apples here but from what I was told working on an orchard as a young teen was that the seeds produced in the apples will be no good and will turn out more like the rootstock than the grafted branch, that being said, if I germinated a whole heap of old seeds and the only one to come up was a strong male I could then graft a female branch from another strain onto the male rootstock and create seeds leaning more towards the male genetics, just a really stupid idea I had I know lol but defo something I will try someday :wink:

chemicals can be used to reverse a male to produce female flowers eg. Ethyl Hydrogen 1-propyl-phosphonate

1 Like

I know there are other ways to go about it :wink: in the spirit of the grafting thread I just thought id throw in something to think about besides the normal question of pollinating multiple strains on one plant :thumbsup:

1 Like

The pollen from a grafted plant will have the genes from the tissue the flowers arose from. Meaning it would be like normal pollen from a male flower, regardless of the rootstock.

Apple trees are all extremely heterogeneous. The reason the seed from apples will not be like the parent plant is because of this, not whatever root-stock it is or is not grafted to. All commercial apple varieties are clones of unique individual plants and will not breed true.

2 Likes