(complete) Holy Smoke Seeds Peshawar Afghan Coop Seed Run

I think we have a male. Couple more days I’ll get out a loupe if i can’t tell without one. Strange the biggest plant from the new batch of seed ( from @Zanzibar ) is a confirmed female. We are up to 4 of 8 confirmed. 1 female of 1 batch one.
2 females of 2 batch 2
1 female, 3 unknown, 1 suspected male
Zanzibar, thanks again. You likely made a Peshawar seedrun possible.
Meant to get pictures last night. Tonight for sure. Just up potted the plants into 2 gallon plastic containers yesterday. Will leave them in that for a couple weeks or more, then into 5 gallon for a week. Then 12 /12 .
I’m carrying in the big plant, Joe, every night and have just realized how wide it is. Going to have to train the canopy into a rectangle to fit thru my doorway or figure out another space to flower it in.
@LegsMahoney thanks. I haven’t grown anything with real big chunky buds in a while. Hoping the big girl puts on a show.

28 Likes

Ooh. Joe looks like someone fun to hang out with. That’s a nicely shaped plant!

5 Likes

This is from the seed listing when I purchased the seeds:

Peshawar Afghani
From the Peshawar valley in Afghanistan This is a rare authentic look into some real deal strains with electric high this is a good heavy loader strain to punt.

24 Likes

In order…group photo, minus Joe.
Joe
Self topping plant from photo one. ( furthest right)
The second batch ( 2 bigger plants)just took off and are turning into bean poles. I’ve been looking for an opportunity to show how to turn a tall lanky plant into a bush. The tall one, a female, is a great candidate.

43 Likes

Bodhi Seeds and Real Seed Company have both sold Peshawar Pakistani in the past too, with Crickets and Cicada those are probably the top 3 seed companies and know the region.
I looked up the town of Peshawar, Afghanistan, it is a tiny village in a majestic canyon in remote Nuristan. Nuristan is unique, even blond hair blue eyed people that are said to have descended from Alexander the Great reside there.
The Peshawar Valley in Pakistan is very large, it has much more agriculture than remote Nuristan.
Wherever the seeds are from, both areas are great, both in proximity to the Hindu Kush mountains.
Angus from RSC has told me that many of the seeds in the area leave from where they originated and are traded throughout the region, often at bazaars.

16 Likes

I was mistaken in believing the info I gave about the Peshawar valley was in this thread. There is some in this thread but the bulk of it It is in the other thread ( may 5 and earlier)(link) where I was looking for these beans. Perhaps someone else can splice that thread into the beginning of this one?Holysmoke seeds peshawar wanted for coop seed run

15 Likes

One of my missions is to discover the ancestor of the Greek strain Kalamata red, if it is indeed a land race. I’ll have to add peshawar to the list of those to check. Malana India also has blue-eyed people that are said to descend from Alexander the Great.

23 Likes

Fuck yes. Thank you buddy.

Bodhi gave me a handful of sativa afghan years ago and it was the best meditative high Ive ever experienced.
Hopefully that will be found in these.

I read above that you had problems with mutations from old seeds.
May i recommend making a sprouted seed tea if you have any more old seeds to pop.
Basically, sprout a bunch of seeds til their tails get about half inch to an inch long, then blend em in a blender with water, bubble for a day, then soak your seeds in that and use it for the first watering. It will deliver the enzymes to the seeds that they lost over time.

You can research which seeds provide which enzymes.
Personally, i use corn (gets loud when blending in a blender), mung, rye grass, and maybe one ir two more that my tbi brain cant remember at the moment

36 Likes

@Wuachuma Great idea! I have thousands of cannabis seeds i can use. Have to try that out next time i germ old seeds.
I have a sneaking suspicion that these Peshawar are going to be some great smoke. I’ll have to make hash from the seed run plants to get a taste of the hash it will make. I bet its epic.

34 Likes

Just to throw in my two cents, I’ve often wondered why a company(Malberry/HolySmokes) of seed sellers who specialize in African genetics is selling AfghaniPeshawar. They’re literally on different continents. How did they come across them? Also, I’ve read a few comments/threads on this strain and people have stated that they flower for 16 weeks or more. Is that reasonable for a strain from Afghanistan or Pakistan? I was hoping to be able to answer that question for myself this year(i live at 35N) but alas, it was not meant to be.

@Upstate -did Nick at HS ever share a backstory of how/when they sourced the seeds? I tried to contact the people at Malberry on another matter, but never received a response.

PS. If this is too off topic, I’m happy to remove it. I was considering starting a Malberry/HolySmokes thread as i plan on growing out their seeds.

14 Likes

Oh my! Hell yes! Sprouted cannabis seed tea! Great thread @Upstate ,as usual, I get to learn way more than ever thought possible! Thank you to all engaged in conv. Excellent stuff!

8 Likes

The old Afghans brought back were long flowering - both BLD and NLD alike.
Once they got to Amsterdam and got inbred and hybridized they started to have shorter flowering times.

Mazar i Sharif is 36 deg N. Thats like California
A’Dam is 52 deg N. Thats farther north than Seattle

So the A’Dam and Seattle market were the genesis of these short flowering Afghans.
Also, A’Dam scene hybridized almost everything with ruderalis since they are so far north…think 4-way

Being at 35⁰N, you should have no problem with pure Affy/Paki genetics. But that all depends on if/when you get freezing temps and what the rain is like.

14 Likes

I really like the seed tea it makes sense to me and is easy enough to do thank you for sharing …I will try soon enough …

5 Likes

I didn’t know that.

I’ve grown Tom Hill’s PineTar Kush, which is an ibl from Pakistan, outside the past two summers. It’s a blast to grow. The first year i had two. One was the classic Indica, it was short and stout single cola with a second little cola shooting out from the bottom. The second one really exploded when it began flowering. It was growing like a sativa, but the flowers were solid indica flowers. Both had a thick, heavy, pine-sol taste.
Tom Hill recommended harvesting October 10th(i assume in N.Cali), but I harvested it in stages, just to be able to compare. He was wrong. It really packs the weight in late October, and even better into November. It’s cold resistant, and withstood lots of freezing nights this past November. Lucky for me, it roots/clones easily. At the next opportunity, i plan on pollinating her with the AfghaniPeshawar pollen i collected.

PS. Apologies for the off-topic hijack

20 Likes

Nah, thanks for that contribution

If you look at Chem family lines, they do best around 12-14 weeks, though most of the commercial growers pick em at 9 weeks and they haven’t reached their full potential.

11 Likes

No doubt. Don’t forget Vancouver. (I guess you could say it’s likely the same or related to the Seattle Genepool. )Lots of great stuff came out of Vancouver too.
@PineTarBastard 16 weeks! I hope not. I can barely lift Joe as it is😁. 16+seems unreasonably long…but I’d believe 14 weeks easily…so if someone liked their amber resin its possible i guess. 10-14 weeks is what i expect.

I think Nick was from South Africa( or knew someone that was…he lived somewhere in Africa for sure and since many of his offerings were from South Africa that’s my best guess )which is a worldwide trading hub with all sorts of stuff moving thru, including cannabis. Just like we had Mexi, Colombian and Jamaican coming in to the states, each country had their own sources for illicit cannabis importation. . My uncle was in North Central Washington in 1975 when he got Afghan seeds given to him. He lived in the middle of nowhere. By 1980 Afghan genes had been spread far and worldwide.
He may have traded for it too. After living in Africa Nick moved to Europe and was soon well known, so this Peshawar could have been acquired there. Many possibilities. Since the actual region of collection was known, my guess is it came from a collector or a brick of hash and not bagseed.
Malberry is just a reseller of seeds, including Holy Smoke gear. Apparently he had fake pictures up of at least some of Nicks strains, causing bad blood between the two. Thanks @Stmcfl for that tidbit of info. I was wondering about some of the chunky plants MalBerry had pictures of on the site. The Drakensburg photo for instance, is some other strain. Its real Drakenburg, but it doesn’t look anything like the photo.

All he said was that it is Peshawar Afghan and that he has moved on to hybrid breeding and has no plans to re release it. I’d love to talk him out of some seed. He must have some frozen.

13 Likes

Love this thread :+1::+1::+1:

Always great information and amazing genetics in upstate’s threads

Just got caught up here I’ll be in the corner taking notes

13 Likes

Apparently he had fake pictures up of at least some of Nicks strains, causing bad blood between the two.

I remember this. This is the picture that was used to promote the Peshawar, and it ended up being a photo from a totally different strain (As I recall, it all went down on ICMAG).
A lot of people were (rightly) criticizing Malberry for false advertising. I wrote to HempDepot - whom I trust based on lots of communications, and where I bought the Malberry beans - and he said he was aware of the controversy and that the image was certainly not of the Peshawar, but that the seeds were genuine.

… also - this used to confuse me " a good heavy loader strain to punt." At least until I grew out the Peshawar. The flowers were nicely dense, especially for a domesticate. So the futball reference was like saying “additionally, a good yielder” Lolz :nerd_face:

18 Likes

Wow mate this is really cool :sunglasses: I haven’t ever really thought of Afghani sativas it just doesn’t come to mind, I’m really intrigued :thinking: so much great information I this thread already !
I’ll be reading along, hope the seed tea does the job for you, another fantastic idea.
Best of luck with the grow brother :v:

14 Likes

Wow! What a read. Glad I’m able to be able to expand my knowledge base of something I didn’t know existed. Thanks @Upstate your wealth of knowledge and time spent researching is a benefit to us all. Much love brother and I’ll be laying on the grass watching and waiting.

Grundle

11 Likes