(complete) Holy Smoke Seeds Peshawar Afghan Coop Seed Run

The old Afghans brought back were long flowering - both BLD and NLD alike.
Once they got to Amsterdam and got inbred and hybridized they started to have shorter flowering times.

Mazar i Sharif is 36 deg N. Thats like California
A’Dam is 52 deg N. Thats farther north than Seattle

So the A’Dam and Seattle market were the genesis of these short flowering Afghans.
Also, A’Dam scene hybridized almost everything with ruderalis since they are so far north…think 4-way

Being at 35⁰N, you should have no problem with pure Affy/Paki genetics. But that all depends on if/when you get freezing temps and what the rain is like.

14 Likes

I really like the seed tea it makes sense to me and is easy enough to do thank you for sharing …I will try soon enough …

5 Likes

I didn’t know that.

I’ve grown Tom Hill’s PineTar Kush, which is an ibl from Pakistan, outside the past two summers. It’s a blast to grow. The first year i had two. One was the classic Indica, it was short and stout single cola with a second little cola shooting out from the bottom. The second one really exploded when it began flowering. It was growing like a sativa, but the flowers were solid indica flowers. Both had a thick, heavy, pine-sol taste.
Tom Hill recommended harvesting October 10th(i assume in N.Cali), but I harvested it in stages, just to be able to compare. He was wrong. It really packs the weight in late October, and even better into November. It’s cold resistant, and withstood lots of freezing nights this past November. Lucky for me, it roots/clones easily. At the next opportunity, i plan on pollinating her with the AfghaniPeshawar pollen i collected.

PS. Apologies for the off-topic hijack

20 Likes

Nah, thanks for that contribution

If you look at Chem family lines, they do best around 12-14 weeks, though most of the commercial growers pick em at 9 weeks and they haven’t reached their full potential.

11 Likes

No doubt. Don’t forget Vancouver. (I guess you could say it’s likely the same or related to the Seattle Genepool. )Lots of great stuff came out of Vancouver too.
@PineTarBastard 16 weeks! I hope not. I can barely lift Joe as it is😁. 16+seems unreasonably long…but I’d believe 14 weeks easily…so if someone liked their amber resin its possible i guess. 10-14 weeks is what i expect.

I think Nick was from South Africa( or knew someone that was…he lived somewhere in Africa for sure and since many of his offerings were from South Africa that’s my best guess )which is a worldwide trading hub with all sorts of stuff moving thru, including cannabis. Just like we had Mexi, Colombian and Jamaican coming in to the states, each country had their own sources for illicit cannabis importation. . My uncle was in North Central Washington in 1975 when he got Afghan seeds given to him. He lived in the middle of nowhere. By 1980 Afghan genes had been spread far and worldwide.
He may have traded for it too. After living in Africa Nick moved to Europe and was soon well known, so this Peshawar could have been acquired there. Many possibilities. Since the actual region of collection was known, my guess is it came from a collector or a brick of hash and not bagseed.
Malberry is just a reseller of seeds, including Holy Smoke gear. Apparently he had fake pictures up of at least some of Nicks strains, causing bad blood between the two. Thanks @Stmcfl for that tidbit of info. I was wondering about some of the chunky plants MalBerry had pictures of on the site. The Drakensburg photo for instance, is some other strain. Its real Drakenburg, but it doesn’t look anything like the photo.

All he said was that it is Peshawar Afghan and that he has moved on to hybrid breeding and has no plans to re release it. I’d love to talk him out of some seed. He must have some frozen.

13 Likes

Love this thread :+1::+1::+1:

Always great information and amazing genetics in upstate’s threads

Just got caught up here I’ll be in the corner taking notes

13 Likes

Apparently he had fake pictures up of at least some of Nicks strains, causing bad blood between the two.

I remember this. This is the picture that was used to promote the Peshawar, and it ended up being a photo from a totally different strain (As I recall, it all went down on ICMAG).
A lot of people were (rightly) criticizing Malberry for false advertising. I wrote to HempDepot - whom I trust based on lots of communications, and where I bought the Malberry beans - and he said he was aware of the controversy and that the image was certainly not of the Peshawar, but that the seeds were genuine.

… also - this used to confuse me " a good heavy loader strain to punt." At least until I grew out the Peshawar. The flowers were nicely dense, especially for a domesticate. So the futball reference was like saying “additionally, a good yielder” Lolz :nerd_face:

18 Likes

Wow mate this is really cool :sunglasses: I haven’t ever really thought of Afghani sativas it just doesn’t come to mind, I’m really intrigued :thinking: so much great information I this thread already !
I’ll be reading along, hope the seed tea does the job for you, another fantastic idea.
Best of luck with the grow brother :v:

14 Likes

Wow! What a read. Glad I’m able to be able to expand my knowledge base of something I didn’t know existed. Thanks @Upstate your wealth of knowledge and time spent researching is a benefit to us all. Much love brother and I’ll be laying on the grass watching and waiting.

Grundle

11 Likes

I figured that was some sort of European or African slang. Over here we would say "and it’s a good yielder to boot ".
I’m glad we have someone here that has grown it out and smoked it already and has good things to say. Do you recall the flowering time? Did you find any very long flowering plants?

13 Likes

I grew @Upstate’s Malana last year at 36ºN at 6400 ft. elevation, here in southern Colorado along with Diggy’s Kashmir, and they did really fine.

I’m so interested in these seeds. I hope you kill it @Upstate! That plant is supposed to be really nice.

My Oacaca are kicking it nicely. I’ll try and get pics over to the other thread.

17 Likes

I grew them outdoors, and I’m pretty sure they finished end of Nov, early Dec. I remember partly because I thought they were going to go much longer. Other things I’ve grown that end in that time period are usually 11/12 weekers indoor

9 Likes

We have a male. 99% sure. Can’t find my loupe and the (probably)male flower is only the size of a pinhead now. Fingers crossed!

19 Likes

That sounds right, Thanks…late November, early December. You’re lucky to be able to garden so late outdoors. I wish I could. Someday I will have a greenhouse but until then I carry on. Literally😁.

15 Likes

I’m at 52N in the BC interior… farrr north of seattle.
Around here the frosts are already setting by or near sept 10th. Daytime temps by Oct 10th in the single digits. Night time temps by Oct 30 can range from 0C to -20C depending on the year.
None of the landrace genetics out there will finish here except maybe for true ruderalis varieties. The only way I can grow a crop to a proper finish is to light dep and this way I can finish most 10 week strains. Beyond 10 weeks flowering time is just not possible as fall day length and more importantly spectrum/angle of the sun is just not in the desireable range to do much for the plants… they stall out and don’t finish proper.
I see Malberry seeds being mentioned… a few years ago I got some of those seeds as freebies from hemp depot. At the time there seemed to be a consensus on the web that these guys were selling bunk seeds with landrace names. I have a pack of the Drakensburg … are they worth popping indoors? I wonder.

11 Likes

I vote yes on the Drakensburg. :grinning:

5 Likes

Sounds like you need to be trying out the Moroccan Beldia landrace. They begin flowering as the days are growing longer if you start them early enough. Basically by week 6 or so of life they are entering the stretching phase of their flowering. Plants will finish by the end of August. No need to force flower. I 100% guarantee you they will finish for you and they are 100% sativa. Check out Khalifa genetics

19 Likes

If you were to start the plants indoors 6 weeks before your last spring Frost they will perform well
Regarding Malberry seeds the photos of the land race varieties were fakes on the website, but the genetics are legit. I think people that were not knowledgeable about Landrace varieties were expecting something that looked like the photos. Hell, even I had my fingers crossed

8 Likes

Joe is coming along nicely. Unfortunately the cuttings didn’t take due to a heatwave so I have decided to partially pollinate this plant to include it in the preservation. I’ve got a picture somewhere of the other plants and I will upload it later. They are finishing their time in 2 gallon containers. Does anyone know what kind of stretch I could expect with an Afghani strain? I know this one’s a sativa so it will stretch more than typical. Anyone grown Mazar or Sheberghan? If these plants will double in size they are ready to begin flowering

40 Likes

I was busy transplanting the Peshawar last night and I didn’t get a picture. I still have a couple more to do but will finish tonight and get a picture. Looks like we have two confirmed males and a few plants still need to show sex. Likely it will be 5 females and two males, along with a branch or two of Joe. Joe seems special.
Some early resin forming.
I’ll begin flowering the other plants this weekend. Seems like Joe has about doubled in size and if these others do the same there should be a healthy amount of seeds.

43 Likes