How do I make cannabutter?

I have listed a recipe for a large batch, using up to a pound of trimmings. The quality of the finished products is related to the quality of your material used. You can divide the recipe according to how much material available or use this ratio:

1 ounce cannabis
8 ounce butter
16 ounce water

Cannabutter

1/2 to 1 pound of cannabis (It’s perfectly ok juse to use leaf trimmings, and believe me, they still work.)
5 pounds butter
cheesecloth
thick rubber bands
tall plastic containers with lids
4 gallon cooking pot

• Place butter and cannabis (finely shredded - dry it first) in your pot. Fill with water to several inches of the brim. Cover, slightly cracked and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 6 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.

• Remove from heat and allow to cool until you can safely handle the pot easily. Stretch cheesecloth over the plastic containers and secure tightly with rubber bands. Ladle the mixture, onto the cheesecloth until each container is filled several inches from the top. Remove cheesecloth and tightly squeeze the remaining liquid from the strained matter.

• Place the containers in your freezer on a level surface for at least 6 hours. The butter will solidify and some of the water will turn to ice. Take off the lid, and with one hand supporting the ice block, turn container upside down and release. Some water will come pouring out, and the ice just needs to be scraped away from the butter block. You should be left with a round slab of light green butter. It can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen for long term storage. You can use cannabutter just as you would regular butter in any recipe. Hold on tight…

Some tips with actually consuming your finished product - if you’ve never eaten it before, please go slowly. I’m talking a quarter of a cookie at a time, and then waiting an hour. If you eat too much, it’s too late - there’s no way to get it out of your system, just have to buckle down and wait.
Also - when cooking this, it smells like you’re cooking cannabutter. Just a word of warning in case you have anal neighbours, live near cops etc :smiley:

1 Like

I make mine diferently. I start with two ounces of trim and soak it in water for one hour. I drain it and soak it for another hour. Then I soak it a third time for an hour. After the third soak. I rinse it until it’s a light amber color.

I pour it into a a large coffee press, which holds two quarts of liquid and drain it. I then split it between two large strainers and let it dry completely. This take about three days outside in the sun in Southern California. I usually lose about half an ounce in the process and end up with 1.5 ounces for the butter.

Once completely dried, I melt 11/4 pounds of butter in a double boiler and add the cannabis. I sautée for 90 minutes. I pour it into the coffee press and drain it end up with almost exactly one pound of butter.

I’m going to do a video nest time I make butter. I just made a batch and it’s kick ass.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully you are still following.

Why are you soaking the trim? Is it to remove the Chlorophyll?

1 Like

I soak it because I don’t know what chemicals the grower may have used for pesticides. I probably wouldn’t have even given it a thought, but the YouTube video I watched when I made my first batch recommended washing it first.

I recently came into some organic trim from a known source, so I only gave it a rinse, and it tasted very good. If you know how it was grown and are sure there were no inorganic pesticides used, you can probably be sure it’s safe without washing. I’m just paranoid in general about things.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I thought water degraded THC, and no one has mentioned decarboxilating the weed before adding to the butter/water mix.

My easy way -

Simple way:
8g Cannabis.
1/2 cup butter

Seal in vacuum bag
Boil for 1 hour.
strain through nylon netting

This gives you~1200 mg to play with however you like. You could make 30 cookies at 40mg each or whatever you like.

All the best

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Boiling it for 6-8 hrs will decarb it.
I make an oil with MCT oil, and I first decarb the weed at 240 degrees for 45 minutes. Then I put it in a mason jar, use enough MCT oil to cover. Then I soak it overnight shaking it vigorously a few times, strain out the plant material, and I have infused MCT oil that works great in a “bulletproof coffee”(Bulletproof Coffee Recipe: The Original Keto Coffee with Butter & MCT Oil) or anywhere you can add some oil to, including just eating a spoonful if you want to.
The last batch I tried putting it in a mason jar with the decarbed material and oil, in an instant pot on pressure cook for 20 minutes. You could probably do the same with butter to infuse. I have seen youtube vids where they say decarb for 40m@240degF, then pressure cook to infuse for 40 minutes, but to me that puts me into the “overdecarbed” amount of time/temperature. I don’t want knockout oil.

1 Like