How do you all water your indoor plants?

Blumats and this large garbage can as a res. When I’m in the middle of stretch I’m going through 5+ gallons per day so I like having a large res. I don’t recommend for first time blumat users…runaways are real lol

4 Likes

Great pictures and nice setup! Seems like a lot of work but after it’s setup I bet it’s so nice to have

1 Like

It does seem like alot of work, and at first it really is. But I’ve set up and torn down this system so many times now it’s really simple. Maybe 45 mins or so max to set up from scratch. I fill 6 jugs with ro water days in advance, that gets the res pretty full to begin with. From there i maintain it around 3/4 full.

The silicon hose is soooo much nicer to work with than the hard plastic they first included. Unfortunately my cats really like that silicon too and chewed a roll I had…so now I’m forced to use both types. They want wayyyyy too much $$ to ship another roll to me. Like 4x the value of the hose itself. No thanks.

1 Like

do you have pics or anything of your diy system i need to make one eventually

I used tropf blumats for a year
Going to try the olla this next year

3 Likes

I use this.

Do it yourself MicroOctopot Auto Fill System

Up to eight plants, no pumps, no electricity. No hassles.

2 Likes

Amateur hour.

:muscle:

I mean I just use a simple watering can filled up in the bathroom sink.

2 Likes

Mine is one of those overstuffed tents I’m afraid. LOL

First run with these. Easy to set up a gravity feed distribution system with a few other things.

They’re basically mini octopots. I have some of those too but going to use them outside.

5 Likes

There is no running water in my space so I fill a 30 gallon trash barrel via a long hose from outside. From there I use an autosiphon that was leftover from my home brewing days to fill 5 gallon buckets.

They only cost $10-$15. It takes two pumps by hand to start the flow, then gravity does the rest. I mix nutes as the bucket fills. When it is ready I set the full bucket on a step stool and use the autosiphon again to water the plants.

I use a long funnel at the end of the autosiphon’s hose for extra reach. The funnel sits perfectly in the reservoir base of the Octopots I use. I can start one filling and leave it unattended since the Octopot rez can accommodate 6 gallons.

5 Likes

Maybe will help. Please don’t shame me for how dirty my res is, it’s been a few weeks since I’ve cleaned it out.
You need a pond pump, preferably with a 1/4" output. Needs a fair amount of lift/pressure, that’s more important than GPH.
I use a 12" rainbird riser to attach pump to the rainbird manifold.
Rainbird manifold, I have an 8 outlet one but typically don’t use them all.
1/4" tubing and I also put valves on each hose (used for ro/di units).
There’s many ways you can run the tubes. I kept the manifold inside my sump because I figure that’s my most likely leakage point. The manifold works fine even if it is completely submerged. Here’s some pics, warts and all. All of these stuff, with the exception of the ro/di valves, can be purchased at any of the big box home stores in the USA, irrigation section. More questions, let me know.

image2
image0(1)

6 Likes

I’m like @DougDawson . Do it by hand. Sometimes not all your plants need the same thing. I’m like him. I believe touching and breathing on them makes them feel loved. Sounds good.
Some good tips up top. I have been looking into growing different. The octopods or a self watering system. Even hydroponics.

1 Like

Wow good work that setup seems pretty cheap to do

1 Like

I’m all about simple and effective. As long as you can lift a full 5 gallon bucket, it works great. For some folks that could be an issue in which case I’d recommend a food-safe electric pump to push the liquid from bucket to plants. I’ve toyed with the idea but figure that’s adding one more thing that could break (or not work at all if the power is out).

1 Like

awesome thanks for the pics and break down. where does your run off go or do you just feed lightly since using blocks ? would love something similar but for maybe 24 to 36 plants in 2 gal coco pots

EDIT SAW YOUR RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION UP THE THREAD

1 Like

I grow in a small tent with divisions. It is a old wardrobe with two 88x55 divisions. One of them for flowering and the other with vertical divisions for clones/vegetative/mothers.
Perhaps not the best thing to do, but I was used to rearanging the plants… I take it off, look at them, train it, water it, and put it inside again, but posibly in a different place, depending on how it is growing.

I like to be in contact with them

3 Likes

I see a lot of nice irrigation systems, but I use a old vacum cleaner hard pipe, a pvc tube would be all right too, I make it down until I have the pipe rested on the pot edge and drop the water from there.

I really don’t get how these auto irrigation systems are reliable and if you have several plants in different stages will need a system for each feeding program.

I re use old Iced tea 2L containers to get the water, usually 2L is good for 1 to 2 plants in 5L buckets, each bottle with a specific feeding to a specific set of plants, if I have like 8 plants and my closet is packed up, I need the old tube to poor the solution in there.

If I am having like 3 or 4 plants I will have room to water without the tube, from the plastic bottle to the pot.

1 Like

Anyone using one of these? I was thinking about household stuff that would be good and I remembered filling fluids on my dad’s backhoe and his Iveco and International box trucks with these guys:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Attwood-Long-Flexible-Funnel-with-Handle-14580-1/308145237?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AeTuncqrhkNxh2tbukLhY-pUcBCTByjuVTHny9xztdZ5SW3O3QUWfh5qE5I

2 Likes

Yeah that could work, I like the handle being on it. I could also see a combo with it and pvc pipes that could be sweet

1 Like

41CGLRGJ34L.AC

4 Likes

Oh interesting I never thought of a showerhead hand attachment