How do you handle growing from un-sexed seeds in a small space?

You definitely don’t want any seeds it will negatively effect the oil production. My lightly seeded crop only yielded about 5% return on rosin or ice water hash.

I think you are making too much of this. Ditch the ScrOG unless running feminized or clones. Plant twice as many as you need, veg them until the space is full, flip to flower, once males show, kill them. The girls will get more room to stretch. K.I.S.S.

or…

Plant twice as many as you need, veg until alternating nodes, take cuts (make sure to clearly label them) and put them in a cup of water under 12/12, maybe under a bathroom sink or somewhere like that. In a week or two, they should start to show sex.

I haven’t tried this one, but…
I heard about this from SkunkmanSam on Hash Church this week. It was in relation to greenhouses, but still applies here.

Plant twice as many as you need, veg until alternating nodes, give them 2 full days of complete darkness. Then return to you normal veg cycle. They should show sex two weeks later and you can cull the males.

or…

If you have money to throw at the problem (I know you don’t and mentioned that already), Phylos Biosciences sells a gender kit and can tell you the sex from seedlings as young as 7 days. It’s about $80 for four plants.

4 Likes

Not quite, just checked it’s $59.99 for four tests. It’s getting cheaper, last time I payed $85. I would do $15 all day and night!

1 Like

Oops! I guess I should have checked before I posted that. So it’s about $15 dollars each test.

1 Like

Yes and you have to pay postage to send it back to them. It works though, I’ve done it. It was fast, easy, and accurate. It couldn’t tell me, however, which plants were going to have male flowers on them (most of them).

2 Likes

@ReikoX do mean you had intersex plants?

Yep, tested female but had male flowers too. Intersex or hermaphrodite. I doubt ill be popping more of those seeds too soon.

Bummer, what seeds were they?

Ancestral Skunk #1. These were the seeds originally brought to Holland by Sam and Rob where they did an open field pollination. Off types were removed, but no selection was made. The results of these seeds eventually became the Skunk #1 we all know today. A neat piece of history, but not up to today’s standards. It’s all in my workshop thread.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

Im going to re-read this a few times, but I think I have more than enough options now :slight_smile:

For sure.
I hate that red 20 characters.

1 Like

just put them in your clay balls in very small pots inside your larger pots! chose your best females when the time comes and transplant them into the bigger pots and you are golden.
when running hydro you don’t need super big pots at all anyway.

3 Likes