Fast technique to sex seedlings

Hi all,

I have few seedlings at week 4 from seed.
In 4 weeks the flower room will be ready, so I would like to move the female as soon as possible into flowering at 12/12 directly in 3.5l or 6.5l depending on number ( max 8).

Currently the seedling are 4 internode 20-30 cm tall ( almost sativas). I have 3 options:

Option 1: change to 8/16 and sex everything and back to 18/6 after.
Can I sex in 2 weeks and after in 1 week back in vege for max 1 week more and swithc to 12/12?

Option 2 change to 8/16 and sex everything and move the famale in the flower room and continue directly 12/12 without any additional vegetative. I like the idea of small plants (3l)

Option 3: cuts and sex them and after using the mother plant ( very very small) to continue vegetative for 3-4 weeks and after flowering room

Which is the fastest and best option for you on this situation?

7 Likes

I don’t run alot of regs so take this with a grain of salt. Recently read here, wish I could remember who to give credit to but he suggested a week at 12/12 then flip back to 18/6 if needed.

I thought I might try that myself. Or just send them in for sex testing.

8 Likes

You can take clones and then throw them under 12/12 or even in a glass of water immediately in the flower tent for a few days and hope they’re fast show-ers. Moving the whole plant to 12/12 then back to 18/6 is doable, but will slow growth down considerably as it bounces back. My two cents.

5 Likes

I’ve read its about 16$ per test. Could be wrong. Different company’s charge different. Been wondering if you can sex reg seeds? I’ve seen videos on YouTube saying if they have a volcano at the end its a female and a male has no volcano.

That’s would be ideal…8/16 to go fast…:slight_smile:

The point is that lot os seedlings are small, I am concern that cutting them ( which would be good to start preparing them for flowering) will leave a plant very small ( 10 cm) which after I should grownin vege for at least 3 weeks ( which is feasible if I were doing them next week).
Also I will have flowering, vege and cloning rooms ( I don’t have the last one actually:) working simultaneously.

3 Likes

Not sure what the concensus is on longer lights off speeding up transition to flower. Some say it helps at the end to amber up tho…

2 Likes

Cost saving in my case :slight_smile:
No money science :rofl:

2 Likes

Think that myth was busted long ago…

7 Likes

Then I’d say wait 2-3 weeks. See if any show naturally. By then you’ll likely be able to snip a few clones that way too. If you wait two weeks to cut, then move to flower in four, I’d think you can make something work there.

3 Likes

What do you mean for “show naturally”?

1 Like

A lot of plants will show pre flowers even in veg. Not all so it’s not a perfect science, but many will. Lots of males love to show their stuff to me in veg.

9 Likes

I throw mine in 12/12 or 11/13 for 4-10 days depending on how fast it shows. Some strains take longer to show from seedling than others.
Back to veg and again some strains will take longer to revert back to good veg growth than others.

If you can take cuts great, but if they’re too small I wouldn’t bother with weak cuttings that will stunt both the cutting and the original. I wouldn’t run 8/16 to flower

3 Likes

That’s sounds very sensible to me.
How long does it take approximately to revert in vege?

1 Like

If you mean revert back to veg from flower. Varies by strain.
I did it to a bubba kush…it’s been about about a month and I think it’s finally stopped flowering and is making some offshoots. BK is slow in general
Another strain its rebounding after about 2 weeks and an uppot.

2 Likes

Then 1+4 weeks Vs 2+3 weeks. Interesting
I guess ( as usual) I will do a mix.

I guess I will cut and clone those seedlings which are tall enough…while I will wait 3-4 weeks more for the smalles to grow and after I will either put everything ( except clones and mother clones) under 12/12 and the famales I will transplant and move in the flowering room while the male will continue flowering in the vege room at 12/12 for pollen.
I will keep the clones in the windowsill ( middle.March).
How does it sounds?

3 Likes

So what’re you breeding?

1 Like

Selecting at the moment and getting to know some strains:

• Killer Skunk by UGORG
  • ESB F2 Flor du Mal
  • Subbies with some of OT1 memory or work

I would like to breed for preservation and diversity, use the males to revert some Mephisto genetics into photoperiod . And I would like to preserve some genetic diversity.

Just some pollen chucking no breeding:)

4 Likes

That would be me. No credit ever needed in any of my info. I share it for the love of the plant and those who wish to play.

3 Likes

I buy mine from here Farmer Freeman. $15 each, $12 each for 10.

I get them on the 420 sale. They are $10 each I think for sex testing. I test at the first real leaves. Saves me lot of time and pays for themself in the long run.

I used to just flip to 12/12 and throw out the males as they showed up. With a legeal limit of 12 for my med and 12 for the grandsons rec (pays to have two household/home) I can’t keep males except for making seeds. (which has been full time the last couple years.)

If they are sativa dominant and you want small plants
anyway;

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes