How do you top a plant with nodes are not symmetrical?

So just up potted a BOG Sour Bubble and was going to top it. When I looked I realized that the plants nodes are not symmetrical. So what do you do with that? I am assuming one would just pick the node they want to chop and and cut above it but let’s hear what you all do?

17 Likes

I usually chop above the node I want and then tie it down so it’s even with the lower one

4 Likes

Not a fan of topping, I crush the stems and flop the plant over where I want it “topped”. It will still redistribute auxins to make for a more bushy plant without removing any plant matter.

18 Likes

Same deal here, I tie down the outers and pinch the inners that are hard to tie down or have no anchor point

3 Likes

The problem I see coming is that if I supercrop this thing and bend it over it will just block out some of the other plants. The footprint in that tent is pretty full already and only going to keep getting fuller. This is the joy of having issues and starting these plants too far apart. If I did this to the 3 in the back I would have to bend them forward and than they would be umbrellas for the ones below them.

12 Likes

Choo-Choo

10 Likes

Can always top the outers later if it’s too wide, by that time it’ll be so bushy it’ll barely notice either

2 Likes

LOL, plant is going to hit the lights when I flip if I LITFA. Otherwise I would agree with you.

7 Likes

I like flat plants lol

11 Likes

That’s their problem, let them deal with it. :smile:

3 Likes

I’d top where that leaf is across the stem in the top picture, must still have the same effect.

2 Likes

Could also cut the main stems half way and clone them.
They’ll just be very big clones.
Put them in a vase.
It’ll look pretty.

5 Likes

There is a method I use that not only accomplishes a bushier plant but doubles up on top buds. Look at your first picture. If you remove the main stem down to the two uprights they will both become the tops and be main tops. I’m not saying to do that at that particular node but the same method applies in nodes above the node showed.

3 Likes

I did snip some lower branches when I up potted it for cloning. Been doing my best to just leave these things to do what they want to do but just want to get in front of any problems. I will likely leave them and see what they do. If I run out of space I will fire up another tent. I still have 4 more plants growing outside this tent but won’t fit in.

3 Likes

Schwing

03d6821ff13feb964e291afddf388298

22 Likes

I separate the top growth tip and push the new leaves out of the way to clip only the apical tip. You get two tops, starting inches away from each other, and the other branches further down tend to catch up to the tops as well, effectively putting it closer to 6-8 top colas if you flip soon after topping. It takes about two weeks for them to recover and start growing vertically again.

A close-up on the growth tip of a new plant with asymmetrical nodes. It’s a clone, so it’s smaller than most would be and I wouldn’t actually top it now, but I’ve circled the growth tip I’d be clipping if I did.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input everyone. I assumed one would just chop above whatever node they picked as if they were symmetrical but figured I would throw the question out there. Chances are I am going to just keep following what I was thinking originally and leave them. If they stretch too much will supercrop them and figure out how to fit the bent over branches in somehow.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that’s awesome :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

No.
Nono.

You’re awesome!

2 Likes

I top at about the 5th 6th node and then depending on what type of canopy your looking for you could keep topping the longer growing colas to even out canopy or super crop.
I have mingled with both and I am now leaning towards topping an extra cola here and there to even out canopy

8 Likes