How early is too early to start training?

strong text
Let’s talk when to start training a plant. Myself I start about 3 weeks into soil. Start with a stem roll gently at the base, a little stronger every day after a few days you will see the stalk shed it’s putter skin like a snake and start to feel the cells healing in a “bulb”. Keep it up for another 3 weeks and you get this before you put to flower.

4 Likes

Purple Thai and GG4 plants that were worked later in growth. Also my next batch of mixed strain for perpetual grow. I have also been running clones side by side to see if it stunts or stalls root growth.

13 Likes

Usually I would wait until 3 days after first topping from node 6 back to node 4 (this week at 28 days I’m guessing.) trying anything I can think of to get seed to flower down under 6 weeks at around 20”s. Next control batch should go in cups in a few days.

2 Likes

@beacher here’s a new thread on that trading we discussed.

1 Like

Nice technique, quite a tree trunk there! I’m gonna try this on my next batch of seedlings, I sometimes have issues with them being spindly and falling over.

1 Like

i generally start topping at the 5th node give or take one or 2… i don’t really do much for LST altho i probably should…

1 Like

Here they are after re-pot at 30 days. you can see that they are gonna have tree trunks.

2 Likes

Ok I’ll chime in

I think once it has cracked the seed U can start

Example if I grow autos I grow them side ways(very tight space) and will put a bit of wire or smth on the stem below the first set baby leaves so she grows horizontally
If I’m doing aggressive training like
If I’m cutting off anything I prefer to wait until about the 4th node to top and then wait until they are bushy to trian

2 Likes

I’m kind of interested in the tree trunks. You obviously dont roll the stem to the points that your crushing and the plant falls over. How do you determine how hard to roll. My blueberry plants are only 3 weeks old but main stem is already very hard and wood like feel.

1 Like

Use a clone that you don’t care about and try it. Same principal as working out, you have to tear muscle to build it. Squeeze just enough to compress the stem a little at first, after about three days you will feel it starting to get harder between your thumbs. I will start working up the stem to the first node, every day a little more squeeze. It’s a feel thing but you will see it happening. I suggest starting with a few clones so you don’t care if you kill a few.

2 Likes

Ya definitely some nice logs on those beauties. Panama red is one I’ve never tried but it’s legendary, that will be one to watch for sure

He’ll steal your woman, then he’ll rob your head :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When you get a feel for it you will actually feel the cell structure pop you are just massaging first, the barky breeds will be a little tougher but it will happen. Because the skin also sheds your trunks will always be barky and wood like to hold weight and thicken upper stems proportionately to your trunk. Makes sense to me, just trying to prove to myself that it works
consistently. And will increase overall bulk of plants (Sativas, Indicas and x’s)

Assumptions from my observations on base line of 5 runs 2-3 plants of GG4 JW from 2 year old mother.

It does not slow growth noticeably

it does not cause unrepairable damage to the plant

If any stunting occurs it is used via timing of topping And up pot to close inter node spacing early to limit stretch and set the the plant up to have a thick short(er) and more vigorous and healthy in later growth.

Limit any stress to early trunk training and one top,( 2 - Fuck I Missed), 2 up pots to 5 gallon.

This shows what happens if you get a little heavy handed. It has diveded into two with a gap you can see through. This is a cut of the Purple Thai taken 3 weeks into flower so it is re-vegging, but still able to handle repairs as it reverts back. Sometimes these weeds can be hard to kill. Let’s see if she is stronger for it as a Mother.

4 Likes

Week and a half after re-pot. Have not been doing any training. The plants are stil in a dead lock race, none seemed to have slowed or stunted. Had 3” growth over the week across the board.

2 Likes

We are going to need some info on that screw

1 Like

Last two +20Uploading: D2FC0A55-E00A-4CF7-9DB2-6EAECA8A1E55.jpeg…

1/4” 20 TPI hex head, bright…lol . Just the facts ma’am

4 Likes